Question about Cut

Options
Candicem99
Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
I have done my reset - gained weight and inches (really not happy about that), I am just starting my 3rd week of doing a cut, but nothing has changed, weight the same, inches the same. I know that it is not good to stay at a cut too long, but shouldn't I be seeing some changes by now? Do I stay doing a cut until something moves weight or inch wise? I am at a loss of how to figure this out.

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Some people say you may not experience any change in your first cut. I personally don't understand how that works. I gained 17 pounds and 8+ inches on my Reset (Thanksgiving to March) and zero change during my first month on cutting. I decided to add in dedicated cardio- it's worked for me before- 2-3 times a week. I also went for a bigger deficit. Instead of 15% every day I am doing 25% 6 days a week with 1 maintenance day a week. I will also add in some tdee breaks. So far it's moving the inches and the scale. It may not be the best option but I needed to see (& feel) progress.
  • molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do this alll the time. Then boom one morning after my period if done I wake up with 2 lbs lighter and with more definition. Also after a refeed day(my body chills and lets go of all the retained water, though I don't do this often and I only eat a little more carbs that day). Your body is retaining water. It could be the stress of losing or just simply the reaction of the body for releasing fat from the cells. Don't worry! Keep going and you will see results. Oh..but make sure you log accurately and you know your energy output well. Walk!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You'll need to literally wait a month before you have figures to decide what is happening.

But whatever exercise routine and amount gave you your estimated TDEE - don't go changing it up unless you redo your TDEE estimate which would of course be different.
  • Candicem99
    edited April 2016
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You'll need to literally wait a month before you have figures to decide what is happening.

But whatever exercise routine and amount gave you your estimated TDEE - don't go changing it up unless you redo your TDEE estimate which would of course be different.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean. I am eating at a cut, not TDEE
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Your cut is based off of your tdee, so I think he is saying continue what you are doing (if it's the same you put in when estimating tdee) for a month, then do a tdee break. You can reassess then.

Is that right?
  • heybales
    Options
    Yep.

A cut or deficit from maintenance or TDEE.

Being a woman the aspect of waiting a month still stands - because your BMR literally changes through the month, therefore sometimes you have a bigger literal deficit, sometimes less.

Pick the wrong week or two to form a decision from, and it's bad figures to do so.

It would be like being down to 2 cars to chose from, about equal in all things you really want, except gas mileage - and the Volkswagen diesel is rated higher mpg. erp!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the reset needs to be a little longer before you start cutting. Have you checked out the announcements pinned in this forum? Also www.eatmore2weighless.com will give you great information that is helpful through your journey.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    Sometimes the reset needs to be a little longer before you start cutting. Have you checked out the announcements pinned in this forum? Also www.eatmore2weighless.com will give you great information that is helpful through your journey.

I started my reset in October so it has been a while.
  • alexahelma
    alexahelma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm at the same point as you. After gaining about 10lbs since last autumn, three weeks cutting and nothing happens except one pound up, one pound down. At least I'm feeling leaner, but i'd like to see any changes on the scale. I decided to reset after four weeks for one week and then going to 15% cut for one month (followed by two weeks back at TDEE, and then going to 10% again). I hope this changes anything.
    Does cutting work for you now? I'm still hoping for my period, maybe this flushes out the water...
    You're not alone! :)
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    alexahelma wrote: »
    I'm at the same point as you. After gaining about 10lbs since last autumn, three weeks cutting and nothing happens except one pound up, one pound down. At least I'm feeling leaner, but i'd like to see any changes on the scale. I decided to reset after four weeks for one week and then going to 15% cut for one month (followed by two weeks back at TDEE, and then going to 10% again). I hope this changes anything.
    Does cutting work for you now? I'm still hoping for my period, maybe this flushes out the water...
    You're not alone! :)

Hi!
    Are you taking any measurements or progress pics? Sometimes the scale can do a number on us, especially that bounce up and down pound.
    I would have thrown the towel in long ago if it hadn't been for my progress pics. And yeah, everyone told me from the start to take them, and yeah, I never did! They are a mental life saver.
    Any other reason you can think of for no drop on the scale?
    Have you changed up your exercise routine? Any muscle soreness from weight lifting etc? Higher sodium says? Like you already said, period could definitely be contributing.
    Oh so many things to choose from!
    Loving the fact you say you are feeling leaner though. That is most definitely a move in the right direction.
    I know it's tough, but keep going!
    The scale can fluctuate for so many reasons, keep on feeling lean!
    Let us know his you are getting in over the next few weeks.
    ~ Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Resist the urge to drop below 15% on the cut. If you cut too much, your body will automatically resort back to its old ways and think you arent feeding it enough and it will keep the fat around again. All this will do is spin your wheels and make your journey that much longer. Believe me, I know! I would be a year ahead of where I am now had I listened the first time around!:)

This way is NOT a quick way. No matter how much we want to get through our reset, and start cutting, and see results TODAY!!!... It doesnt happen that way. Change is always happening, but it may not be the change we want at the time. As Ichel said, taking pics can show you changes you may not consider, like the size of your Delts building.. or the waist getting smaller. The scale also doesnt reflect our changes well either. Any given thing can cause the scale to not move, so its not a good indicator. Three weeks is not a lot of time to see any changes. Remember, we got into this mess because we took the quick fixes that brought on FAST change. We dont want to go down that route again.

Continue another few weeks at cut, reevaluate your TDEE again and eat there for another week or two and try again. Just remind yourself, this is NOT a quick fix. This if for life, and you want to enjoy your life while going through this. So dont let things pass you by. You are doing awesome. Keep going!

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi again :)
    I'm now in my second week of the 15% cut, everything works out fine (for some reason in this cut I'm hitting my protein goals almost every day, yay!). Period came, and at the exact same time the batteries of my scale were empty. I take it as a hint of karma. I dont know if I'll ever buy new ones ;). BUT I lost half an inch almost everywhere, so thumbs up. :)
    I've been taking progress pics since last September (also during reset, to find out if its muscles or fat I'm gaining), and finally I see good results.

@alexahelma
    This is so awesome! Love your attitude! Please please can I have permission to quote this MASSIVE Victory and also repeat it on my newsfeed?
    So glad to see you are getting results from being patient and consistent.
    I'm going for karma as well ;)
    You are doing great!
    ~Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @alexahelma woohoo! Awesome update! Save your money, you don't need to replace those batteries, because no matter what the scale reads, it won't be as good as the measuring tape ones! Those inches are it! Two thumbs up for your progress!!!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Awesome update! I got rid of my scale, no regrets!
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    excellent! Now for me I NEEEEEED my scale, not to see how much weight I lose, that number doesn't matter. I need my scale to keep myself in check. To make sure I don't gain weight. I know my logging is pretty tight but if I see a scale increase (more than my normal 3-4 pound increase because of salt...or wind...or whatever lol), I need to take a deeper look and see what's happening.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    AWESOME AWESOME update!!!! Dont even bother with the batteries! the tape measure is telling you everything right now! Way to go!!!

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • alexahelma
    alexahelma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @justsayinisall good point, I think in case I need a scale I can still ask friends to use theirs (for recalculating my TDEE before the next reset, if that will be neccessary at all).
    Over the last weeks the scale was only depressing for me and whenever I looked in the mirror in the morning thinking "Yes, that girl looks good!" and then stepping on the scale it was like "Urgh, gained 300 grams!" the day was ruined.
    @rastaempress Thanks, quote it wherever you like if you like :)

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    @justsayinisall good point, I think in case I need a scale I can still ask friends to use theirs (for recalculating my TDEE before the next reset, if that will be neccessary at all).
    Over the last weeks the scale was only depressing for me and whenever I looked in the mirror in the morning thinking "Yes, that girl looks good!" and then stepping on the scale it was like "Urgh, gained 300 grams!" the day was ruined.
    @rastaempress Thanks, quote it wherever you like if you like :)

I hear ya! I only use the scale to see how well my body is responding to my metabolic reset and to truly test my TDEE. No longer am I letting it define me :)
  • heybales
    Options
    ^^^^ Such easy tools if thought of that way and used that way.

Scale and waist circumference to confirm no fat gain. 2 numbers, and only that, mere numbers.