2016 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - Vuelta Now Up and Rolling...

Options

Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes Bills all sorted Mark.

Here's some confirmation of what I'm likely to be doing during Le Tour with the focus on climbing as well as distance.

Wales 400+ hilly miler on the 8th
    Yorkshire 300+ hilly miler on the 15th
    and finally the Lakes which is likely gonna be a 400+ miler on the 22nd.

Got some route planning to do, hopefully avoid those dodgy rough lanes I was hitting way too much of last week. I foresee me needing more then a couple rest days in between these with likely Monday/Tues/Thurs being rest.

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    Yes Bills all sorted Mark.

Here's some confirmation of what I'm likely to be doing during Le Tour with the focus on climbing as well as distance.

Wales 400+ hilly miler on the 8th
    Yorkshire 300+ hilly miler on the 15th
    and finally the Lakes which is likely gonna be a 400+ miler on the 22nd.

Got some route planning to do, hopefully avoid those dodgy rough lanes I was hitting way too much of last week. I foresee me needing more then a couple rest days in between these with likely Monday/Tues/Thurs being rest.

sounds spectacular - presumably with those epics you'll be taking it very easy for the other days in the week - I hope so, for your sake - don't forget, you don't get fit on the days you train, you get fit on the days you recover from the training...

I've added Bill to the prospectives list as well now... there may be a bit of juggling to do - still waiting on a few regulars to confirm / say nay , and depending on that, We can have a rosta into CycLeagues a little earlier than the day before the roll out (like the Giro ended up being!) - sooner the better IMO as at least then I can try and test things...
  • Jakess1971
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yeh I had planned on riding a couple of metrics in the middle for 'team km/going for the win' reasons but to be honest I think that may be a bad idea and any kms will likely be limited in between these three day weekends, I think last time I did the Yorkshire and Wales trips I was pretty wiped out for a few days, it's the climbing that takes it out of you. My biggest concern is the weather but that's the same with the challenge in September.

The good news is on my riding days I'll prob be covering close to the days distance, I'm sure my team mates will step up on the rest days to cover the distance though :)

Once I've outlined the routes I'll declare these up front so any team mates can see what's what.

As soon as you have the teams outlined I'll update CycLeagues DB.

• banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If there's any more spaces left, I'm in. Training for November begins in earnest :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    If there's any more spaces left, I'm in. Training for November begins in earnest :)

no worries - that makes 3 places open...

• nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you have me and also the hubs ( BamaBoyScout aka Andrew ) from two pages back. :smile: Just checking to be sure.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'm assuming you have me and also the hubs ( BamaBoyScout aka Andrew ) from two pages back. :smile: Just checking to be sure.

Oh Yes, you're both definitely in there...

still 3 places open folks...
  • Jakess1971
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OK here's the details of those three touring weekends:

1k38zzhdr7wm.png
    wypd9mg1mm96.png

Full details of the routes etc can be seen here:

http://jasonssavage.blogspot.co.uk/p/julys-triple-weekend-tour.html

Again this is all for raising a few funds for charity:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Jason-Savage3
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    If that blue line day is coming back from the lakes it looks ferocious...

off the top of my head, I'd say it's Kendal to Sedbergh, along the 684 to Hawes then straight over the tops to Kettlewell, via Gayle, Buckden and from Kettlewell, down into Settle, then in the direction of Keighley, Halifax, Penistone and down into the Peaks... All I can say is OUCH!

Oh - and the climb out of Hawes, through Gayle and onto the tops is absolutely SPECTACULAR - as is the drop off the other side, hope your brakes are in order for that one, as it's usually infested with geriatrics driving at 3mph burning either their brakes as they descend, or their clutches as they climb...

• Jakess1971
    Options
    lol yep, I'll be taking spare brake pads :)

The final weekend is pretty scary actually but I've been wanting to do the Lakes for a long time and that dark blue line will be the final day of all those rides, I'll be having Monday off after to chill for each of the weekends too which helps mentally.

The first two weekends I've done something similar before but not in successive weekends, but it's great training and the scenery alone will hopefully keep me going.

With regard to Le Tour:

What I'll also do is stick Adrienne on my team, she's not on MFP but she will get a kick out of being on a TDF team, she's on CycLeagues too, her Strava ID is https://www.strava.com/athletes/7373778

• canbbot
    canbbot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Kupe wrote: »
    I am in, I am in. Don't forget about me. Thanks for the heads up Mark.

No worries mate... again, wouldn't be quite the same without waking up to see you've already got something on the board while I was still in my scratcher...

And that makes 5.

Dang it Kupe... I want my dossard upside down. ;-) See you in TDF
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm currently doing 80-100 miles per week, albeit not particularly quickly. Happy to join in if my stats fit into a team somewhere
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    Hi - I'm currently doing 80-100 miles per week, albeit not particularly quickly. Happy to join in if my stats fit into a team somewhere

That'll do just fine...

We'll need your Strava Athlete URL and Jason and I can take it from there :)
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    I've PM'd 35dollars with the details of the Strava club
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Jas, just had a PM with the Strava ID - https://www.strava.com/athletes/10961949

• Jakess1971
    Options
    Ok cool, club invite sent.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    @TheBigYin - re: PM, I confirm you got the right person. @Jakess1971 - I've joined the Strava club
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Ok Steves all sorted, CycLeagues login sorted too, I've PM'd the details.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    @TheBigYin - re: PM, I confirm you got the right person. @Jakess1971 - I've joined the Strava club

thank goodness for that - i'd hate to think there was some poor random sod out there that thought I was stalking him...

• TheBigYin
    Options
    so that's definitely down to 2 places then...