Is it common to have fatigue 6 months into low carb diet?

Options
pjoh127
pjoh127 Posts: 25 Member
Hi all,
I have been doing a low carb, high protein, moderate fat diet since January of this year. I consume about 65g of carbs, twice the amount of protein about 120g and about 45g of fat a day. When I started the diet I also adopted a new strength training routine. My goal was to lose around 10 - 15 lbs of weight, get lean and strong with a target weight was 128lbs. 6 months in, I am getting close to my target weight but in the past four weeks have started feeling extremely fatigued after after my workouts. I have changed nothing with my diet or calorie consumption - but for some reason once I dropped 11 pounds I am tired, started having headaches (migraines with aura) and generally don't feel so strong. I'd love to get to the root cause of this as it affects my work day as well (unable to focus, nauseated etc.).
Would love any insight on what might be causing it and what I can do to get through this. My instincts tell me I have to ease up on diet or exercise.
Thoughts?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure,without an open diary, that you'll get many helpful answers.

Just from what you wrote, it seems to me that you're not eating enough Kerry Gold butter, Bacon, EVOO and perhaps no pickles either---an open diary will ensure that your answers are closer to accurate.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    Is it a sodium issue then? I definitely do not eat Kerry Gold butter, Bacon and pickles. I am mainly vegetarian, pescetarian. Anyway, just confused why these changes so late in the game.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you haven't felt it before now... The low sodium is a very common thing and most people don't know about the increased needs. Is the weather hearing up? Sweating more? Losing more water and sodium through sweat than normal?

May also be a good time to add a bit more fat.
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is sounding allot like dehydration....
    Grab some bullion cubes and adequate water daily for the next 3 days.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Yes I read that link. From the info there it seems like these symptoms are common at the beginning of the diet, not 6 months in. Also while I am eating low carbs, its not like I am eating very low carbs. (I read that some members on this forum eat less than or close to20g carbs a day). I also salt my food quite liberally.
  • wabmester
    Options
    pjoh127 wrote: »
    Is it a sodium issue then? I definitely do not eat Kerry Gold butter, Bacon and pickles. I am mainly vegetarian, pescetarian. Anyway, just confused why these changes so late in the game.

Low-carb always causes sodium losses, but they are higher with higher ketone levels, and ketone levels are higher with exercise. It's also worse during the summer months when sweat compounds the losses.

If you've been losing sodium for a while without replenishing, you've probably also lost potassium and other minerals. Replenish them all, if you can. Headaches are sensitive to all of them.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    Ok, good to know. Would it be worth it to visit the doc and get all the vitamin levels checked? I had stopped taking a multivitamin a few months ago, but just started again last night. I wonder if that should address the mineral loss. The idea of drinking a bouillon broth sounds awful on a regular basis. :smile:

• wabmester
    Options
    Agreed -- I can't drink hot soup during the hot months. There are other sources of sodium. Pickles, sauerkraut, kim-chi, preserved meats, etc.

Blood tests aren't great for any of the electrolytes. Low sodium first manifests itself as low blood volume, not low blood levels of sodium. It's the low blood volume that causes fatigue, light-headedness, etc.

Other minerals tend to "hide" in cells, not blood plasma.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Many people make a drink they call Keto-aid. I don't have the recipe but it's basically water with salt, potassium (salt substitute like Nu Salt, Lite Salt) and something to flavor it with like lemon, lime or water flavor drops.
    I usually just drink a bit of pickle juice for a boost.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    I have an important meeting to get through this afternoon and I started feeling the headache symptoms along with nausea and tingling in my left arm. I just downed a glass of salt/sugar water (electrolyte water). Hopefully it will help get through this afternoon until I get home and get a chance to have a cup of better than bouillon. I don't eat pickles, sauerkraut, kim-chi, preserved meats, etc. - just don't like them. I'll try it for a couple of days along with upping the water intake and see if it helps. Thanks for the insights.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I have an important meeting to get through this afternoon and I started feeling the headache symptoms along with nausea and tingling in my left arm. I just downed a glass of salt/sugar water (electrolyte water). Hopefully it will help get through this afternoon until I get home and get a chance to have a cup of better than bouillon. I don't eat pickles, sauerkraut, kim-chi, preserved meats, etc. - just don't like them. I'll try it for a couple of days along with upping the water intake and see if it helps. Thanks for the insights.

If you are upping water intake, keep in mind that you will have to up the sodium intake as well. If you up water without upping sodium, you flush it out and it makes things worse.

Try looking into sodium in tablet form - I know some forum members take these because they don't get it in other ways.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    At about four months into this woe I couldn't understand why all of my energy was gone! I had felt so good in the beginning, and it was gone. This is when I finally began supplementing magnesium citrate, sodium tablets, and an occasional potassium supplement too! I had been hard headed about the electrolyte needs, thinking I wouldn't need them (i was wrong!)! Got my energy back pretty quick! Hope you feel better very quickly!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Yes I read that link. From the info there it seems like these symptoms are common at the beginning of the diet, not 6 months in. Also while I am eating low carbs, its not like I am eating very low carbs. (I read that some members on this forum eat less than or close to20g carbs a day). I also salt my food quite liberally.

They can happen at any point, if the circumstances allow for it. It's most common in the beginning due to the sudden change in food content, the switch to real food, and the lingering fear of sodium (causing people to continue restricting it despite the increased need for it). That doesn't mean it can't happen at other times. The fact that the last four weeks corresponds with several weeks of high heat for most of the US makes it no surprise that you've found yourself with these problems all of a sudden, and salting food liberally isn't always enough, depending on the circumstances.

And no, this forum is not just about 20g a day. Some may do this, but certainly not all, and it's certainly not required. We consider "low carb" to be anything under 150g a day, though we encourage and accept just about anyone who's intentionally limiting their carb intake, pretty much regardless of number. Also, generally speaking, anything under about 50g is actually considered very low carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of salt to water every morning and chug it down quickly. I also salt my coffee and food... I am not a big broth fan either.

If increasing sodium (3000mg -5000mg per day) does not help within a day or two, I would add potassium and magnesium citrate supplements too. If that doesn't do the tick within a few more days then perhaps give yourself a week off of training. Maybe your body needs a week or two of recovery?
  • pjoh127
    Options
    Are there any risks to excess consumption of magnesium citrate, sodium tablets, and an occasional potassium supplement? Any brands/tabs you recommend? Also wondering if I should take these under guidance of physician or are they fairly safe to consume (like any general multi vitamin)? I'll try the bouillon broth tonight and for the next three days and see if I feel any better.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    It's most common in the beginning due to the sudden change in food content, the switch to real food, and the lingering fear of sodium (causing people to continue restricting it despite the increased need for it).

There are also very real physiological adaptations in the first week or so that are the primary cause of the initial sodium losses. Blame the kidneys. :)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

I recommend seeing a doc if you have fatigue, nausea and left arm tingling...not to be a harbinger of scary stuff but that could be heart issues....Make sure you are ok from a health standpoint please.
  • pjoh127
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How many times a day do you recommend the bouillon broth? What is the amount that is okay in a day?

I have always been fit and healthy- never felt like this before in prior weight loss through Weight Watchers, (did it twice before post pregnancy), I never had extreme weight loss goals, always aroud this 10-15lbs mark. So I do think this has something to do with my diet and fitness routine and not health in general. But in any case I have a follow up appointment with my doctor this week and will check in on these symptoms as well.