Improvement in bowel function

Options
Leanbean65
Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
Sorry if this is too much info but I've noticed my IBS getting better. I was concerned that without grains I would get constipated but this has not been the case. As well the bloating and other symptoms are getting better. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Same for me. Just enjoy it.

From what I have read many with IBS do better with more grains and some with less..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Hard to say why, perhaps others will have ideas, but several possibilities come to mind; food allergies, gluten intolerance, inflammation, histamine release, fat's effect on poop texture, more energy leading to more exercise...
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb is the only way my constipation is under control. Works wonders :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a single IBS symptom in over a year. It's definitely connected. I am best when I eat as little fiber as possible. I will get bloated and gassy if I eat too much vegetables and I'm talking just 5 to 10g of vegetable fiber is too much.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C and I have definitely had a huge improvement going grain free!!!! I do eat my greens everyday and take magnesium, but I have ALWAYS had issues with wheat. I knew if I ate anything with wheat I would be bloated, gassy and miserable but I had a HUGE addiction that is GONE now!!!! I feel liberated!!!
  • ydyms
    Options
    What kind of magnesium do you take ?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Leanbean65 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is too much info but I've noticed my IBS getting better. I was concerned that without grains I would get constipated but this has not been the case. As well the bloating and other symptoms are getting better. Any thoughts?

I had IBS for many years. It went away changing macros to LCHF. Unlike others in this thread, I NEED vegs and fiber to work properly. Too much protein plug me up. I suspect that the different effects from same stuff might be due to composition of individual microbiome.

Here is a lecture by one of the researchers in forefront in the field atm: Alessio Fasano.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfTV57iPUY&list=PLhMVa_juzVPn7PWoU8JmRL6ZyMq_cIJgA&index=16

As I understand him: gluten and gliadin proteins "open" doors in the cell permeability that is supposed to be closed. Leaving the body to attack the molecules that it interprets as "foreign", hence the autoimmune component, inflammation and discomfort. Correct me if I misunderstood it.

I notice that the shelves with OTC stuff for constipation, diarrhea and anti-acids etc in the pharmacies have grown a lot bigger in the recent years...
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In my few 4 four weeks of starting this, I have noticed that I don't have nearly as many problems with IBS. I am quite happy about that.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Another poster in a different thread stated that this WOE has "cured" his Ulcerative Colitis.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Its the carbs, especially sugars & grains. They feed the wrong bacteria in the stomach, leading to a whole host of digestive problems.

Dan
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    @ydyms I take magnesium citrate by Morning Pep every night at bedtime. I take 3 500mg capsules which is a high dosage but it works for me. I took 4 once and that was too much (loose stools...tmi). 2 just don't quite do it for me so settled at 3.
  • ydyms
    edited June 2016
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    @ydyms I take magnesium citrate by Morning Pep every night at bedtime. I take 3 500mg capsules which is a high dosage but it works for me. I took 4 once and that was too much (loose stools...tmi). 2 just don't quite do it for me so settled at 3.

Thanks! I just ordered it :)