Low carb and colitis

Options
kendahlj
kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
I've suffered from ulcerative colitis for the past 15 or so years. It's basically ulcers in the colon. One doctor told me it was one of the worst cases he'd seen. At its worst, I've had to miss work days because of it. The worst part is having to run to the toilet 9 or 10 times a day. You never know when it's going to hit and when it does you have about 30 seconds to find a toilet. It's really a bad health issue...a cousin of Chrohns Disease.

My point of this post is that I've been low carb (no sugar, grains, rice, pasta or potatoes) for a month and my symptoms are completely gone. I have normal BMs about once a day and feel spectacular. It truly feels like a miracle. The weight loss I've seen in a month is its own reward, but not dealing with issues from colitis is simply wonderful. I wish I'd have done this a long time ago. If you know of someone suffering from UC or any other IBS related issues, tell them to cut out carbs.

Replies

• petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! It's amazing to hear all of the health improvements from low carb other than the weight loss. So happy for you!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful news!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love hearing these kind of stories! The best part is how fast it helps too! And so dramatically!
    Congrats on finding healing and bonus weight loss! So happy for you!
  • kendahlj
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm shocked that it's cleared up so quickly. And so happy! I really think they should do a study. They say there is no cure for UC but I'd love to see the results of a controlled study where long time UC sufferers cut out carbs (sugars and grains). I'm not saying I'm cured, but it sure feels like it. I've never been in remission like this before... I suspect it would come back if started eating poorly again.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    You have to ask yourself if the one's that say UC can not be cured financially gain by getting us to believe that? When we remove the cause of a disease and it goes away I call that cured. My brain tells me I am cured.

If I have a nail in my tire and it leaks air is my leak 'cured' if I have the nail removed and the hole professionally repaired. :)

Yes as long as I do not drive over another nail or other such object.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Fantastic news
    Delighted to hear this. Keep up the great work!
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Probiotic VSL #3? From what I've learned it's a good treatment for IBS & Ulcerative Colitis (UC). I first learned about it from the Joe Rogan Experience podcast with guest Dr. Rhonda Patrick (Ph.D). It can be pricy if bought over the counter but if you've been diagnosed with either IBS or Ulcerative Colitis then you can have your doctor write a prescription for VSL #3 DS, so that your health insurance will cover it. I'm very excited to start taking it myself, just waiting for it to arrive in the mail.
  • Snowhite61
    Snowhite61 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I was diagnosed with Crohons last February. I was Keto (LCHF, no starch or sugar) for a long time before that. Unfortunately I did have to have the big surgery (colon and partt of my small intestine), the ostomy, and the new diet. Still trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat. I take VSL#3. I;m glad LC works for you. I have discovered I cannot really eat meat or fats. Veggies seem to thicken everything, and slow everything up. I'm out of ideas, and pretty frustrated
  • Snowhite61
    Snowhite61 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know this, but I use tumeric and ginger 3X/day for the inflammation. I don't know if it really helps or not.
  • kendahlj
    Options
    Snowhite61 wrote: »
    I'm sure you know this, but I use tumeric and ginger 3X/day for the inflammation. I don't know if it really helps or not.

I'm on warfarin at the moment so I can't take turmeric, but I will once I'm off the warfarin...

Sorry about your Crohn's...that's no fun. I guess LC isn't the miracle cure, but it has worked for my UC. My brother in law has Crohn's and I talked to him recently and found out he doesn't eat carbs because they mess him up. He has to take a shot of something every day.

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that is terrific news! My ex-MIL had UC/colostomy bag, my ex-husband has Crohns and my mom was diagnosed with UC approximately 10 years ago. She had some success with clinical trials using Remicade infusions, but they stopped working. She is currently trying one "last" option before pushing for surgery.

I have tried the LC/keto conversations with no success.... she is also T2D. Fat is bad for the heart you know and a person has to 'have carbs'. sigh

You're right, I'm sure different options work for different people, but you were open minded, tried it and found success. YAY YOU!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised, but feel it's freakin awesome!! Congratulations! I can't imagine how much better you feel!

How do you think your physician will react?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    That's terrific! Keep up the great work!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that is terrific news! My ex-MIL had UC/colostomy bag, my ex-husband has Crohns and my mom was diagnosed with UC approximately 10 years ago. She had some success with clinical trials using Remicade infusions, but they stopped working. She is currently trying one "last" option before pushing for surgery.

I have tried the LC/keto conversations with no success.... she is also T2D. Fat is bad for the heart you know and a person has to 'have carbs'. sigh

You're right, I'm sure different options work for different people, but you were open minded, tried it and found success. YAY YOU!

You're welcome to show her my diary. She can get a birds eye view of
    how LC works with blood glucose. I've been T2D for over 32 years now
    & only in the last year got my diabetes under control.

>:) or o:)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My IBS issues from fibromyalgia cleared up when I went gluten free - so glad you found something that frees you from the bathroom. Time to start your life again, @kendahlj !
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    qmdgdgnxd837.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :) That's amazing! I hope your UC stays away!!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    My IBS issues from fibromyalgia cleared up when I went gluten free - so glad you found something that frees you from the bathroom. Time to start your life again, @kendahlj !

Have you heard of this from others that had Fibromyalgia before? I have a friend that has it, maybe I should tell her?

Dan
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Amazing!