Face down in a bag of semi sweet chips

Options
I tried to increase my carbs from 20 to 50... and things went south... a dietician told me that is completey a psychological thing and I can fix that with therapy... not sure about this.. I hope he is wrong because I don't have time for therapy, unless I can find one who can do a session while running! Any thoughts on this???

Replies

• erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What is your question? Why are you increasing your carb intake? If I were to increase my intake, I would add more vegetables, full fat yogurt, and avocados.
  • eileenhernandez456
    eileenhernandez456 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My question is, do you think the ability to control carbs psycological or chemistry? I am looking to increase carbs to have more variety but if I increase the healthy stuff it seems to lead to bad choices.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think it can be both mental and physical, depending on the carb you are eating - it's very personal. I have made a list of trigger foods that I will not go near, because they just make me want MORE. For me, I think cravings are mental. That said, there are folks who measure their ketones and blood sugar and seem to find a direct correlation between food and cravings.

Ultimately, you are in charge of what goes in your mouth. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but I place all responsibility on myself for my choices. I spent many years looking to blame my weight and food issues elsewhere, but when I took full responsibility, my mindset changed and I became successful.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @erinseattle has a good point. You try that?

When I increase my carbs - it's usually spent on veggies and dairy :(

But I have only gone above 60g in a day, and it was because I set myself up to fail with a lower-fat meal at breakfast than I should have had, and so my low-carb sandwich wrap, and every teeny serving of vegetables and herbs counted against my upper limit.

Now I focus on getting eggs and bacon/sausage and olive oil/butter/heavy cream into my system as soon as possible in the morning, keeping it very low-carb (I aim for 10 g or less per meal, breakfast ideally would be under 5 but I have to get rid of some higher-carb cheese). Anyway, when I do that, I find I'm very satisfied for even hours beyond when I typically would have eaten lunch before this WOE.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the source of the carbs hormones rule all. And if you increased carbs with anything that triggers a burst of insulin, you're gonna be craving more.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's both.

Look into the book "Brain Over Binge," it looks at urges to eat/ binge and provides a neurobiological approach to dismissing the psychological and habitual urges. It's important that you tend to the biological causes of the urges at the same time. You probably won't need therapy to address it.