So what are some things people do to stay active other than the gym?

Options
karebear5891
karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
I find I'm much happier participating in things and events that keep my active as opposed to sitting in a gym staring at a wall or tv while I work out. Tonight I volunteered at a 5k event, I put together packets, unpacked boxes, and spent about an hour and a half hauling 24ct packs of spring water and handing out bottles to runners coming through the finish line. What are some things you guys like to do?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yard work
    Laundry
    Dishes

I don't like doing them all but I like the extra calorie burn they give. I do enjoy the yard work though, especially when it's really hot out. Kinda weird lol.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Gardening, building things.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program

h90tqhjr2pfj.gif
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike to the grocery store and go on walks.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Cycle, walk, social class like NIA and yoga. I like your volunteering idea.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    We restore classic muscle cars, so we go to many, many swap meets and car shows which equals lots of walking, lifting and carrying. Plus doing all the helper stuff. I've also planted a garden this year, so weeding etc. I'm only on my third week, but I'm planning on making my movements count. Also, I picked up a rebounder, so when I'm cleaning out doing laundry I pause for minute and jump a hundred times. It all adds up.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Walk & hike mostly. Got a Fitbit last month to push me more. Google maps shows trails, not just city streets, so I've discovered a lot of walking trails in my area that I didn't even know existed. I swear I'm going to be spending the entire summer exploring all these trails I never knew existed. I like to go first thing in the morning before breakfast, I use it as a fasted cardio exercise. Yesterday I saw two wild boars on my walk, I have never seen that before. I live in Silicon Valley, and the Hills have a lot of deer, which are common sites. I did see a baby rattlesnake a few weeks ago, so I keep a close eye on the trails!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    We just got back from strolling around a flea market.
    I water my patio garden before I go to work everyday.
    I also love walking in the park on my way home from work. :)

>:) or o:)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I walk the dog for an hour on most days. I also coach soccer and basketball a couple of days per week - it's young kids so I am running with them. In the summer I garden; I overdid it yesterday so my joints are annoyed with me. In the winter there is shovelling snow and sledding once a week.

I can't think of anyting else that helps me work up a sweat. Maybe housework if company is on he way and I am not finished yet. LOL
  • gypsy8080
    gypsy8080 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I live in the city, so I'm able to walk to and from work every day, and pretty much anywhere else I need to go. On the weekends, I take my dog to the park and we walk for about an hour around the track there. During the week, I exercise to two YouTube fitness channels I like. And, of course, housework counts.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    In general, outside of work, I haven't bothered in years. I rather enjoy sitting on my *kitten* and playing video games, so I keep my caloric intake tuned around that.
    However, as my bodyfat has peeled back, I am seeing more and more that I definitely need to get back under the iron. That's not going to happen until at least later this summer when I have the time and inclination to buy and set up a bench, power rack, plates, and bars. I'll never set foot in a gym again. I don't like having to follow rules set to cater to whiners.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I walk to the grocery store, run outside (my exercise passion), and do occasional YouTube Yoga classes. Did just join a gym yesterday though, looking for some cross-training guidance to improve my running.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Another "Walk to the Grocery Store" person here. I have 4 right close (round trips equaling 2.5 to 5 miles). A couple years ago I bought a $10, canvas, light weight backpack and it has served me well for carrying groceries. When I injured my knee i bought a stationary recumbent that has also served me well on bad Dystonia days. Also miscellaneous Youtube videos-mostly aerobics and kettlebells but those are on hold now since I tore my rotator cuff and separated my bicep in a bad fall this May.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking, biking and yoga. I also need to starting weight lifting again, I have a collection of hand weights at home collecting dust! :)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    We have three lakes close by of different sizes, so depending on how ambitious I am, I will walk 2 to 5 miles around a lake.

I'm curious about the youtube videos mentioned above. Are there any that can be done in a small space?
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I walk into town each day to go to the Post Office with my ebay sales and to pick up groceries. Only a 1 mile round trip, but I am typically carrying between 10 and 20 lbs for the whole of it. I only log it as a walk, as I don't know how to log a 'walk carrying weights'.

This is on top of my 5x a week workout, but every little helps.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have a regular dance night out. Also I've been walking around a local pond. I really enjoy doing both, and I'm looking for a couple more activitys to add to the plan for some variety.
    Also, I'm hoping to research and find some bodyweight exercises to add, as i think its time to deal with my skinny fat issues.
    Bottom line is I need to like doing it or quite simply, I don't.