Bananas?

Options
MEG924
MEG924 Posts: 37 Member
Does anyone eat bananas on days they're more active? I know they're higer in carbs and sugars, but they have a lot of health benefits. Just interested in anyone's experience with them - if they negatively affect your weight loss - only 7 more lbs till goal so not much room for error.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @MEG924 what level of carbs are you wanting to eat daily. I have not had a banana yet but it my case as long as I stay away from added sugar and any grains the whole food carbs seem to be OK because with more carbs my weight loss started down again.

I weigh each morning so I can detect gains/loses quickly. Getting ready to maintain takes some experimenting it seems. Of course any time I go over 50 grams of carbs I get kicked out of ketosis but that is just part of my experimenting. Whole apples are my main fruit at this point because they are in the house.

After nearly two years of <50 grams it was mentally hard to eat more carbs but over the last month I am losing weight eating less fat and more whole food carbs. Sure do not want to trade one eating disorder for another. :)

While I am down a new 10 pounds after adding more carbs I am OK with regaining 2-3 pounds in the process of experimenting with more carbs. I prefer to lose 10 pounds and regain 2-3 pounds so the brain understands my food supply is not in short supply and I have done this for the past two years. After maintaining at 200 for 12 months on 2500 calories of LCHF WOE has helped me lose my fear of regaining that has been the case for the prior 40 years when doing yo yo dieting.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I do but I'm not keto but low carb. I pair it with some natural fresh ground peanut butter and sprinkle with walnuts...it is my special treat...sometimes I even take a half square of 78% dark chocolate and shave it over top...it's for when I'm craving something g I shouldn't have
  • MEG924
    MEG924 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins Congrats on your success with this woe! I have stayed under 30 for almost a year, but have been closer to the 40-50 range lately because I work out so much.

Glad to see someone who does have them fit into their plan. Now that I'm getting closer to goal, I'm just looking for ways I can mantain healthy eatting habits long term. And, surely, I was not over weight because of eatting bananas so it seems like I'll be okay. :) I just wanted to know if there were others who do it too and I'm glad to see there are.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    hello @MEG924

I have really stayed away from Bananas since beginning this WOE, but i've had cherries (one serving per day) and 3 or 4 slices of oranges.
    Like you can see "goal" weight getting close and why derail everything for a piece of fruit?

OTOH, there are no cravings in my life--none, i am not even thinking about what i once ate and am not missing the carby stuff: chocolate ice cream, rice, fries.

This is my WOE for about 6 months and hopefully it's sustainable, scary to read ppl go in and out of LcHf. Hoping the fats are always going to be my "happy foods".

Loving the high fat choices and hope to be like others here who have done this woe for years.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I freeze them and put half of one into a peanut butter, almond milk smoothie along with some powdered greens for breakfast. I don't have them everyday (17 carbs), only if I know I'm going to be more active that morning.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think i have had half of a banana in the last year but I was not a fruit person before i went keto so I don't miss them. I would rather have snap peas of celery with cheese.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Bananas have always triggered blood sugar/insulin spikes for me, so even working in a quarter of one other than maybe once every six months is not likely to be something I'd do.

What health benefits do you assign to bananas? They're so genetically modified from their original form, I'm not sure I'd want anything I might get from them anyway. If it is potassium, there's far more found in broccoli and other greens. I'm not aware of anything else indicated...

Not saying others can't work them in. Just that they aren't worth it for me. There are far more interesting carbs to include on workout days IMO. www.dietdoctor.com has many charts showing the glycemic impact of many fruits/veggies/other foods.