PCOS motivation...

Options
RebeccaMaunder
RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
So I am not sure if I have posted this question in here before but if I have I am circling back. I am just wondering how many of you have PCOS and what you have found to be your success rate. I am struggling right now (anyone looking at my diary would know that :sweat: ). Last fall when I originally joined you I was doing well. Thanks to the guidance of SunnyBunny. This year I can't seem to get my act together and do this. I felt like I wasn't losing enough or that I couldn't keep it up and then I was reading different information on PCOS and things we should and shouldn't have and I think I just have gotten to muddled in my thought process. So my idea is that I am going back to basics. I am asking for help and looking for people who have struggled through with PCOS and what this woe looks like for them. Things you eat, how much have you lost. Over what time period? Exercise or no?

If you would all please indulge me I could really use the motivation. I am looking to restart, again, at the end of this month. I am only waiting because of financial issues we have really no groceries and the ones we do have really aren't lc.

Thank you

Replies

• ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and this is my third round to lose weight - maybe fourth actually - in the last 20 years. I have found that this woe works better for me than any other although I lost on strict CICO also (Weight Watchers) so my body is pretty good at losing weight. I've now stuck to it for a year and lost 70 lbs. I'm still about 10-20 above where I think I should probably be but periods are normal (for a 46 year old) and weight loss has slowed down a lot.

I do think this is the best woe for PCOS - or at least it has been for me.

I exercise some, but not a lot and I don't see exercise as critical to weight loss and it actually led to my recent plateau. I struggle with being a perfectionist so I gave myself a pass on working out but not diet...how I eat is "sacred space" for me that no one and nothing gets to touch. I think going back to basics is an excellent idea...and commit to that one thing and don't worry about anything else. Life is complicated enough!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sticking to the plan is the challenge. Denying the craving monster (aka, sugar addiction) his satisfaction in order to break that addiction so that hurdle cannot trip you up anymore, will be the difference between success and failure.
    I was a sugar addict that HAD to have something sweet at least once a day. But that was not going to allow me to be who I wanted to be. I had to decide that I could manage to live without satisfying that NEED. It wasn't an actual need and I had to view it like the addiction that it felt like and treat the behavior like an addiction to beat it.
    That meant no sweets. Not even low carb ones until I felt like I was control. Then I allowed low carb sweets and started to lose control with them too. So I had to stop it. I wanted something sweet every single night. But I didn't eat it. And I didn't die. Lol
    And now that craving has no hold on me
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, with insulin resistance, as well as hypothyroid. Weight loss has always been extremely difficult for me; the only times I've lost are when a) I was working so much I literally didn't have time to eat, and b) immediately after giving birth, when I was breastfeeding. I just started on a LCHF way of eating recently, and I have to say that while the pounds haven't started melting off yet, I feel full much more easily and am really enjoying the meals I make. I was always a carbaholic--the idea of going low-carb was overwhelming and a total turnoff.

Starting this WOE, however, I'm able to indulge in things I really enjoy (meat, cheese, avocado) and feel like I'm doing something good for my body. And best of all--I DON'T MISS CARBS AT ALL. I never in a million years thought I'd go for almost two weeks without bread, grains, rice, pasta, and not miss them in the slightest. I'm still working on getting my macros right and will continue to play with it until I see weight loss, but I feel like I'm at least on the right track.

Feel free to friend me, even though I'm also new on this journey of eating LCHF. So far I feel much better on it than I've felt in any other way of eating, to the point where I think my metformin may no longer be needed in the near future. Hopefully it also pays off in weight loss soon. Best of luck to you and all of us Cysters.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, too. Struggled with my weight starting in my 20's, and right before I hit 40, I decided to finally take control. I was pre-diabetic and had been on and off of metformin for years. Cutting back carbs and working out a ton had my losing 30 lbs. I have stopped watching carbs, and I've had several surgeries/injuries that have slowed down my workouts over the past two years (I'm very clumsy:)), and I've gained it all back. Knowing that I don't have the time to work out twice a day with two hours of commuting time and two active boys at home, my diet it what I'm tackling this time. So I'm trying this way of eating. Not enjoying the keto flu, that's for sure, but I'm not craving carbs! I truly feel like this is something that I can do long term if it gives me the results that I'm after. I do have high cholesterol so I hope it doesn't negatively impact that, but I'm willing to try it out.

Feel free to friend me if you want to go through this together!
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My life has been such an up and down! I have PCOS, but I'm sure that isn't the main cause of all the weight I've gained and lost throughout the years. First major weight spike was in my early 20's when I was going through multiple rounds of back surgeries. Got my weight back down going low carb, and major increase in activity (20 mile bike rides, etc).

Got married, back went out yet again, weight went up in the most serious fashion. I was closing in on 400 pounds. Started Jenny Craig (major expense), but when my marriage fell apart, I couldn't afford it any more. So I switched back to low carb. Got back down to a weight that was around my first major 'holy crap I can't believe I weigh this much' and then got into another relationship.

Maintained for a long time, but between stress, grad school, a blown knee and other things, combined with a hubby that doesn't (correction, didn't) believe that low carb was any kind of necessity for me to lose weight and would try to push treats on me when I tried to lose weight in the past few years, I've had that creep again. Got almost all the way back up to that pre Jenny Craig 'holy crap wtf am I doing to myself' weight.

Then we decided we wanted a family. Did all the testing and the doctor told me we were going to have to do IVF if we wanted to do this. Then point blank told me I had to get down below a specific BMI before we could even start. So. I'm back on low carb since March.

I've always done Atkin's in the past, and would get through the first couple weeks, fantastic. Then as I read through the website, and his damn ladders, I would get lost in carb creep and the next thing I knew... well I just wasn't low carb anymore. So this time I'm not playing that game. I'm sticking to meat, low carb veggies, high fat dairy (cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, eggs). I'm not adding in sweet potatoes or beans, or plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or even hummus like I have in the past. And a very few nuts/seeds here and there. Very few.

Because of headache issues, I'm now carefully watching my nitrite and sugar alcohol intake, thanks to all the lovely people in this group who were able to provide input and convince me I didn't need to add carbs back in to mitigate the problem.

Other items. I do drink alcohol. Dry wines, light beer (miller lite), or straight liquor. I don't really exercise yet. See above reference to blown knee. I had surgery and my knee doesn't respond favorably to lots of activity. Once I lose about 30 more pounds, I'm hoping the reduced pressure on my knee will make a big difference in what I can do, so I can up my activity.

Best of luck in starting out again. It's pretty common to come back to this again and again. I'm hoping that this is the time that sticks for me, and hopefully for you too!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have PCOS as well...After years of really not losing weight with the CICO method (despite my calories being much lower than they were on LCHF), I still struggled with PCOS symptoms & infertility (although I was never "officially diagnosed" as PCOS until 2015...and it was that doctor who actually put me on a LCHF diet).

["Things you eat, Exercise or no"] I started my LCHF journey in late May/early June 2015, combined with 1000 mg bid of Metformin (never had elevated glucose/A1C, but had high insulin levels). My daily MAX carb goal was between 60-80 g Total Carb (but was usually closer to 40-50 Total)...most of which coming from vegetables or dairy. I did work out 3-4 times a week, which was typically mild warm-up cardio (swift walking) followed by lifting weights. I would lap swim 1-2 times a week instead of lifting, but that's more because it soothes my anxiety issues.

[" How much you have lost...over what time period."] Between my start of late May/Early June & January 2016, I lost nearly 60 pounds. WHICH IS MORE SUCCESS THAN I'D HAD ON ANY OTHER PLAN. I'm currently in a "holding pattern," because after nearly 6 years of trying...I AM PREGNANT. :smile: I found out in January, so I've been in "maintenance" since then. Currently 25.5 weeks pregnant.

So I think I can happily claim that LCHF + Metformin helped my PCOS. My carbs are higher now with pregnancy, but I've still been stalking this group because I find the info helpful.

Once LittleBit is here, I'm anxious to jump back on full-board with LCHF, because I still have progress I want to make on weight loss (& because I love how I felt on LCHF: less depression, better sleep, lower anxiety, etc). Also, once pregnancy is over, all of my favorite meats will hopefully sound good again & I'll be able to eat raw fish again.

One suggestion I'd consider adding if I were you, if you're going to start back on a LCHF journey. Start taking Inositol. (I take 4g/day, 2 g in the AM & 2g in the PM). It really helps with the sugar monster carb craving, & has a lot of good evidence in being helpful for regulating hormones in PCOS. There are some good threads on the PCOS group about Inositol (see link below). I would also maybe talk to your doctor about going on Metformin if you aren't already, because it is proving to be really beneficial for all of the hormone issues for PCOS even in absence of elevated blood sugars. It also really knocked down carb cravings for me.

In case you weren't aware, there's a really great PCOS group on here & there's a lot of cross-over with the LCHF group. Here's the link if you want it, we'd love to have you! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have PCOS. This WOE really helps A LOT with fertility issues tied to PCOS. Without sugar, the cysts cannot grow, so without sugar they either reduce a bit or go away altogether. There's studies that show this can apply to cancer as well but I'll leave the more serious subjects to the experts.

I've been pregnant twice and both happened when I severely reduced my sugar intake and ate a healthier diet of mostly veggies, protein and healthy fats.

My TOP tip for ladies struggling is to make sure you have snacks on hand. I have two buckets of Breyers carb smart low carb ice cream in my freezer, sugar free hot fudge topping (smuckers) and 5 bars of 90% dark chocolate (Lindt) stashed away for snacks. Blue diamond makes a lot of different flavors of almonds, habanero BBQ and smokehouse are my favorites. I also like Quest bars, they are yummy and help me hit my macros. Of course you can have celery or broccoli for snacking as well.

I need to have all of these because when hubby has ice cream for example, it's torture thinking I can't have any myself. Having someone sit there eating your favorite food in front of you when you're on a diet is the worst feeling. If he's eating chips I eat parsnip chips. If he's having ice cream cake I make myself a low carb sundae with the sugar free hot fudge and some low carb whipped topping. It's important that you have snacks available for when these times hit!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I have PCOS with insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia, and am a hard loser. It sucks. LCHF is hands down, though, the best diet in my experience. Even as a hard loser/easy gainer, when I stick to LCHF, I can maintain.

Losing is a different matter for me. I found my sweet spot last year of meat-only and a few supplements, but then my life got turned upside down and now I find myself with a social life I couldn't even fathom having this time last year. Combined with work burn-out and going down to one income, it's resulted in a number of situations where meat-only isn't really feasible. Adding another attempt with Metformin on top of it, which resulted in horrible food aversions, and it's been a rough road getting back to that sweet spot where I was actually losing weight (and having to cope with having gained it back).

So, now I'm back on the supplements (Inositol, Phosphatidyl Serine, and Astragalus) and working to get back to meat-only so I can get back to feeling my best and making progress.

Exercise has been varied, due to issues I have with my back. Weight lifting has been a huge boon, when I'm able to do it, though. It does wonders for insulin levels. Other than that, I try to do a lot of walking, and occasionally some other exercise (last summer, it was occasional roller skating; this year, it's a bit more beach time).
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    My TOP tip for ladies struggling is to make sure you have snacks on hand...It's important that you have snacks available for when these times hit!

Yes! Ditto to this. I think I was able to stay on track because of snacks. I've outlined a few of my favorite "snack replacements" below, since you had specifically asked about foods. Mine might look a little different than others, because I have intolerances/allergies to most artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutes, with the exception of stevia....So I can't do most of the "no sugar added" or "sugar free" pre-made products. :frowning:

Snack suggestions:
    • Nuts! Different varieties. It's amazing once you start eliminating carbs/sugar from your diet how naturally sweet some nuts begin to taste (i.e. macadamias or cashews). Best prices I have found to date are at club stores like Costco or Sam's Club (if you don't have a membership, see if you can arrange a quarterly "shopping date" with a friend/relative...that's what I did before I got my own membership. Keep small baggies in your purse/bag for when cravings arise.
    • Cheese crisps instead of chips. You can buy pre-made ones (i.e. Whisps brand Parmesan cheese chips), or bake them yourself. Love them.
    • I make "cream shakes" instead of having ice cream. Basically I blend ice with heavy cream + some water (or low carb milk substitute), adding cocoa powder or unsweetened peanut butter, or a small handful berries...whatever sounds good that night. Again, once your palate adjusts to lower sugar, you'll start noticing the natural sweetness in "unsweet" items. But you could totally add artificial sweetener to taste for these. Drink them with a straw or eat them with a spoon...I didn't miss ice cream.
    • Ditto the Lindt 90% dark chocolate bars. Best thing for PMS, ever. lol. If a really bad day, smear a little unsweetened peanut or almond butter on a square. Ah-mazing.
    • Meat sticks or beef jerky. But watch the carbs in store-bought beef jerky, some can be really high.
    • String Cheese. Low carb, & if you take a LOT of time to slowly pull it into tiny strings, you might be surprised at how filling 1 cheese stick can be by the time you are done.
    • Deli Meat + cheese + mayo rolled up in iceburg lettuce. I can't wait until I can eat cold deli meat again...this was a regular thing for me & I loved it.
    • Pepperoni or salami crisps: Buy sliced pepperoni or salami, pan fry until crisp. Delicious crispy snack that really fills a salt craving. Stays crispy even in the fridge.
    • Caramelized bacon (we call these "meat treats" in our house...lol). Cut thick-cut bacon into 2-3" pieces. Bake in the oven, turning occasionally until done, right at the end, brush the tops with a TINY bit of real maple syrup & put under the low broiler for a second until the sugar caramelizes. Sweet, salty, greasy heaven...

I can keep going if you want :smile:
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies you have all been amazing. I think the things that sick or to me is making sure to plan ahead and also making sure to eat more real foods. I think I need to work on cutting out sweets again as this has been a huge factor for me. The crisps and fried pepperoni would work my chip cravings. If you have any other meal or snack idea I'd love to hear them. You are all amazingly encouraging and I really appreciate you sharing your stories.