High Cholestrol

Options
rebuia
rebuia Posts: 13 Member
Just got a call from my doc they want me to start medicine for my Cholestrol soon as possible I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem on LCHF I've never had this problem before and I'm feeling quite anxious about it

Replies

• kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There is a previous thread about cholesterol meds. Did you tell your doc that you were doing LCHF diet?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10387874/cholesterol-medication/p1

That thread will probably be of use to you.

That said, here's my opinion -- don't do anything until you get the numbers they're going off of.

Here's the thing with LCHF -- there is a chance it can make your numbers look bad on the typical test. This is due to the way it changes your lipids. The changes are actually good, it's just that the test is flawed when LCHF is part of the equation.

Get all of your numbers.

If the doctor is just going off of total cholesterol, drop them like a sack of bricks and get a new one. Total cholesterol, by itself, means precisely squat.

If the doctor is going off of your LDL, request the VAT, particle size, and c-reactive protein tests, especially if your triglycerides are low. Don't take no for an answer, here, because this is what determines whether you're actually at any risk. Only when these tests come back should you discuss medication. If the doctor refuses, get a new doctor.

This is because LDL is almost never measured directly, and the number is a concentration number. When triglycerides are very low or very high, the formula for determining the LDL number breaks down and giving a bad LDL number. Additionally, LCHF increases the density of the LDL particles, which makes them behave more like HDL particles. This is a very good thing. However, increased density even if the number of particles remains the same or decreases, can still increase the concentration number. Ergo, improvements in lipids that look bad on paper.

Also, if you're actively losing weight, your numbers will be skewed, as well. If you've been low carb for a relatively short time, your numbers may actually be better now than they were when you started. Unless your actual, measured LDL is higher than what can be accounted for by weight loss and the LCHF changes, advocate for waiting and monitoring. Odds are good that your numbers will improve on their own, especially when you stop actively losing weight and your weight stays steady for a time.

If your LDL is crazy high, you might be one of small percentage of people who hyper-react to dietary cholesterol and saturated fat. It still might be worth advocating for "watch and wait," and shift your diet around to favor more monounsaturated fats (basically, LCHF, Mediterranean style, with a fair bit of fish and olive oil).
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My total went up over 200 for the first time in my life, however, my HDL had gone up to 85!! and my triglycerides went down by nearly half to like 65. So, total was higher, but according to what I've read the most important ratio is your HDL to trigs and my ratio was pretty fantastic!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Despite the enormous volume at which cholesterol reducing medications are prescribed, most studies indicate they do not have any positive impact on cardiovascular health...there has been no reduction in strokes or heart attacks for patients on these medications.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. High cholesterol as a generic term isn't actually a bad thing.
    You've got some homework to do, but if you read that link provided above, you should feel better about it.
    Also, there are more links in the launch pad to videos and books to learn why high cholesterol isn't always and most often is not a health concern at all.
  • rebuia
    rebuia Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips and advice I love having a community of people to reach out to!!! Going back to doc on Friday going to ask for labs to be retaken
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Make absolutely sure that they are fasting labs, at least 12 hours between last meal, if you can, @rebuia...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Last year this happened to me after being LCHF for 9 months and I said no way because I have just lost a lot of weight and my HDL and triglyceride had flipped to a great ratio but in time my total cholestrol started to drop down again.