Is it common to have fatigue 6 months into low carb diet?

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It sounds like getting the sodium is tricky for you. Maybe just get the sodium chloride tablets? They make it crazy easy.

But.. I'm wondering why you added sugar to your salt water?
  • pjoh127
    pjoh127 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The salt sugar solution is a home remedy for diahrrea caused by dehydration. I don't have an upset stomach but some above ^^ suggested that it could possibly be dehydration (I agree, I am not particularly good at hydrating myself when working out) so my home remedy brain went into effect.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    Tomorrow is my exercise day ... any thoughts on what I could do at the gym that isn't too strenuous while I am going through these low mineral symptoms?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    pjoh127 wrote: »
    The salt sugar solution is a home remedy for diahrrea caused by dehydration. I don't have an upset stomach but some above ^^ suggested that it could possibly be dehydration (I agree, I am not particularly good at hydrating myself when working out) so my home remedy brain went into effect.

I was asking because the sodium/water balance is what matters for hydration. Sugar isn't necessary
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my exercise day ... any thoughts on what I could do at the gym that isn't too strenuous while I am going through these low mineral symptoms?
    Cardio - walk on the treadmill on an incline or elliptical machine - slow down/stop if you get dizzy

Weights - drop down to a lower weight than you previously used and go slow. If you were lifting before, you may have to deload because your body is getting used to using a new form of fuel.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    It's most common in the beginning due to the sudden change in food content, the switch to real food, and the lingering fear of sodium (causing people to continue restricting it despite the increased need for it).

There are also very real physiological adaptations in the first week or so that are the primary cause of the initial sodium losses. Blame the kidneys. :)

Seems I haven't fully recovered from my four-day camping trip.

You're right. I should say exacerbated by those things.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have actually found relief from migraines with aura since going on keto. I had them almost daily. Are you getting plenty of sleep? The magnesium will help with that also.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    hi all ... wanted to follow up on this thread from last week.

I checked in with a nutritionist last week who reviewed my food intake for the past four weeks and my symptoms and diagnosed it as dehydration. Based on suggestions on this thread I had started drinking broth and water/coconut water/gatorade G2 and by day 3 I felt I was on the mend (started feeling my old energetic self). He also suggested that I could up my carb a bit and reduce my protein numbers (so I was doing 20% carbs and 50% protein of daily calorie intake and I changed it to 25% carbs and 45% protein). Anyway I did this for 4 days (starting Thursday and ending Sunday). I wasn't entirely sure if the way I was feeling was related to dehydration or my body just wanting carbs but I felt great. I also went to my doctor on Thursday morning to get checked and everything was normal including blood pressure - test results the next day showed that my sodium, magnesium, potassium etc were also at the same level as my last physical which was actually right before I started my diet/fitness routine.

On Monday this week I went back to my original macros, and this morning guess what, I woke up really hungry and with a swimmy head. I had a protein shake ASAP and was on route to the gym and I felt tired and had slight blurry vision (this always happens before a migraine with aura is to come on). I drank tons of water and kept the migraine at bay but I felt light headed and couldn't do the exercises I had planned. I felt really bummed.

So my question to you all is - do you think after a while your body adapts to a diet and perhaps just wants something more? I know every body is different but I am wondering if my body wants more carbs? Did any of you on this board go through anything similar and what changes did you make, if any? I also wondered if any of this could be related to hormonal changes that may or may not be triggered by diet. Any ideas? All I am trying to do is get to the bottom of this so I can make the changes I need to.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @pjoh127 - I think at a certain point that yes it adapts and you'll have to mix up your workouts to break through plateaus and such. This is something @AngelinaB_ noticed as well. I know some people have carb loading days and other days when they have 0 carbs at all. That wouldn't work with a strict keto diet though cause you'd constantly be breaking your ketosis state. If you're simply doing low carb and don't care about being in ketosis I'm sure it would be fine. Some people can only eat 20g net carbs to stay in ketosis and some can eat up to 50g net without issues.

Others have issues not getting enough potassium or magnesium which keeps them in the "flu" stage, so keep an eye on those.

Everyone is different, do what works best for you!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    It's about sodium more than its about water
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    On Monday this week I went back to my original macros, and this morning guess what, I woke up really hungry and with a swimmy head. I had a protein shake ASAP and was on route to the gym and I felt tired and had slight blurry vision (this always happens before a migraine with aura is to come on). I drank tons of water and kept the migraine at bay but I felt light headed and couldn't do the exercises I had planned. I felt really bummed.

So my question to you all is - do you think after a while your body adapts to a diet and perhaps just wants something more? I know every body is different but I am wondering if my body wants more carbs?

The dehydration results in low blood volume (not necessarily low blood pressure). The dehydration is caused by sodium losses. All you have to remember is "water follows sodium."

The sodium losses are due primarily to ketone losses. The fewer carbs you ingest, the more ketones and sodium you lose in your urine.

As you've discovered now multiple times, the fix is simple: more sodium to replenish the losses, or more carbs to stop the losses.

The losses are highest in the first week, so yes, there is some adaptation. But if you've been at a consistent carb level for 6 months, you've probably adapted as much as you're going to. Either replace the lost sodium, or prevent the losses by keeping your carb intake higher.

Most nutritionists and doctors don't (yet) understand this, but they will as low-carb becomes more popular. :)
  • pjoh127
    Options
    Thank you @wabmester - the interesting thing is that my nutritionist also works as a personal trainer (not mine, he owns the gym though) and they don't call it a keto diet (or at least didn't to me) but definitely use the low carb high protein formula to help people get leaner. According to him he'd never had a client who ended up with a sodium (or magnesium or potassium) deficiency after following macros and food intake similar to mine. His suggestion was to play around with the numbers and see what works for me.

@Sarahb29 do you know how one goes about carb cycling? I am not concerned about staying in ketosis - I was mainly doing low carb/high protein on recommendation from my trainer. My goal was to be leaner but eventually get stronger - so strength training is my ultimate goal. I am close to my goal weight - oh the last 3 lbs - so maddening to feel like this at this point. I adopted this diet as a short term strategy and then was going to follow up with trainer/nutritionist to check in on new macros/calories once I reached my goal weight.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Not Sarah, but here is a link on the different kinds of ketogenic diets, such as cyclic ketogenic diets aka carb cycling.

http://www.ruled.me/3-ketogogenic-diets-skd-ckd-tkd/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyclical_ketogenic_diet.htm
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you @wabmester - the interesting thing is that my nutritionist also works as a personal trainer (not mine, he owns the gym though) and they don't call it a keto diet (or at least didn't to me) but definitely use the low carb high protein formula to help people get leaner. According to him he'd never had a client who ended up with a sodium (or magnesium or potassium) deficiency after following macros and food intake similar to mine. His suggestion was to play around with the numbers and see what works for me.

Him not seeing it and recognizing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor that his macros didn't prompt it in some people. Odds are good that it was the reason some of his former clients dropped out of his programs. That's not to say his program is bad, just that a number of people experience something less than 100% positive, blame the system, say it "doesn't work" for them, and find a new one, instead of doing the necessary tweaking.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    Thank you @samanthaluangphixay ! I will read the two links.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Him not seeing it and recognizing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor that his macros didn't prompt it in some people. Odds are good that it was the reason some of his former clients dropped out of his programs. That's not to say his program is bad, just that a number of people experience something less than 100% positive, blame the system, say it "doesn't work" for them, and find a new one, instead of doing the necessary tweaking.

^^This.

I eat at a similar carb level as you (typically in the 50-80 grams/day range), and while I don't have *as severe* symptoms as my SO does with the sodium losses, I do still get them. (He eats less carbs than me and also works outside in a physical job). I agree that the reason you are experiencing them now and not when you started is because it is a lot warmer now.

Work on getting your electrolytes balanced, you likely need a lot more sodium/magnesium/potassium than you have been getting. Then if you don't start to see an immediate improvement, see a doctor.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    Do you think now that my body is getting close to my goal weight I should up the calories I am eating (keeping macros the same) for my level of exercise - 4 to 6 hrs a week (gym and on my feet)? I was reading this page http://www.tingfit.com/lose-fat-reduce-body-fat-percentage-basic-math/ and after using the tools there my recommended calorie intake should be 1472/day. Then I used the MFP guided setup to see what the app would say and to loose 0.5lbs/week at my current weight in order to reach 126 lbs -- it also recommends eating 1500 calories/day. My only concern is that I have been eating 1290 calories all this time and ultimately weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit so I don't want to end up gaining weight. Any thoughts on this?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    According to him he'd never had a client who ended up with a sodium (or magnesium or potassium) deficiency after following macros and food intake similar to mine.

It's not really a "deficiency" (but it can develop into one). Your body compensates. How does it compensate for sodium losses? By dumping water. That keeps the sodium concentration in the blood the same as before.

How does it compensate for the loss of water while trying to maintain blood pressure? By constricting blood vessels.

So the end result is that you have narrow "garden hoses" delivering blood to tissue when you used to have big fire hoses. It still works most of the time. Not so well during exercise. Not so well when you stand up from a sitting position.

Blood tests won't show it. Only the symptoms let you know what's happening: light-headedness, fatigue, and headaches.

BTW, carb cycling is probably the worst thing you can do. You'll feel great on the high-carb days, but your body will have to re-adapt to low-carb each week. It'll be like Groundhog Day -- you'll keep reliving the "flu" symptoms.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Do you think now that my body is getting close to my goal weight I should up the calories I am eating (keeping macros the same) for my level of exercise - 4 to 6 hrs a week (gym and on my feet)? I was reading this page http://www.tingfit.com/lose-fat-reduce-body-fat-percentage-basic-math/ and after using the tools there my recommended calorie intake should be 1472/day. Then I used the MFP guided setup to see what the app would say and to loose 0.5lbs/week at my current weight in order to reach 126 lbs -- it also recommends eating 1500 calories/day. My only concern is that I have been eating 1290 calories all this time and ultimately weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit so I don't want to end up gaining weight. Any thoughts on this?

How much weight loss are you currently seeing?

If 1500 is the number of calories where you should lose .5/week, then the number where you would stay the same weight would be 1750 calories. I'm in the camp of not being militant about the 1290 calories.
  • pjoh127
    Options
    @deksgrl I have been losing approx 0.25/0.5lb a week (at the end of 3 - 4 weeks I drop a solid pound). When I started this routine and entered my weight in MFP (140 lbs in Jan) I went for the calorie intake that was recommended 1290. But today when I entered my current weight at 129 lbs I suggested 1500 calories.
    How do you adjust your calories?