Day 10 and tired of my food choices...

Options
decourck
decourck Posts: 3 Member
I'm on day 10 of low-carbing it, and I've lost most of my appetite and desire to eat anything, really. MFP tells me I'm way under my calorie goals each day. Is this normal? Any advice?

Replies

• sadsongkrysy
    sadsongkrysy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have zero appetite, I have to force myself to eat. At first I liked it but I'm on day 18 and having dreams of eating banana and fruit salads :/ it's hard. Can't offer much advice I'm afraid.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Are you tired of your options or are you simply not hungry? If you aren't hungry, then don't eat. When you do eat, get the best bang for the buck for your macros. If you don't want to eat because nothing sounds good or you are stuck in a rut? If it's a rut then there are lots and lots of websites out there with options. Search Keto recipes.

At first I was full really quickly too. Now I feel hunger more and I notice it can depend on what I eat. At first if I drank a diet soda I didn't want to eat more, now a diet soda will make me hungry. Not for carbs or sugar, but I get that pit in my stomach. But if I drink a BPC in the morning and get straight to work I won't eat sometimes til dinner or near it. I have to bolster my intake then. I do that with high fat items such as butter on my protein.

I eat the same 4 meats all the time it seems - pork chops; steak; chicken; sausage/bacon but I am always doing something different with them to ensure I'm not bored with my choices. I don't have to eat those only, but it just seems to be how things pan out around the compound for us. I challenge myself to make keto friendly meals but still give my family their carbs while keeping it interesting. Last night, for example was pepper steak but I made twiced baked potatoes for them. I got my steak in a great tomato pepper sauce and they got their carbs in. (Normally I'd do rice with that, but the youngest wanted potatoes) I love to cook so it makes things simpler for me, I think.

I stopped craving carbs and sweets almost immediately but I do as we are sometimes told not to do and have the diet soda sometimes and sugar free candy sometimes. I also use sweetener in my BPC. So I'm not exactly a role model in that department.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you're just needing to get those extra calories in, try adding extra fats at the meals you do it.

If you need more food choices, either share out the foods you're desiring or share out the foods you're eating so more sophisticated low carb palates (likely not mine, lol) can make suggestions. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have zero appetite, I have to force myself to eat. At first I liked it but I'm on day 18 and having dreams of eating banana and fruit salads :/ it's hard. Can't offer much advice I'm afraid.

Try making something with squash and berries, toss in some heavy cream or whipped cream cheese with some sugarless fruit extracts... Fruits are OK in small doses... Maybe toss banana extra with some steamed squash, and toss with some strawberries and barely vanilla-ed whipped cream or cream cheese?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? I think it is fine short term to be way under goals, but not long term, all the time. I find that usually that after several days or a week, then I get more hungry for awhile. It seems to go in phases.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry. Don't eat.
    One of the best things about low carb is the balanced blood sugar and insulin levels that create less hunger. This is thought to be one of the bigger reasons it's so successful long term.
    Enjoy it! There's really no reason to eat more than once or twice a day. Let your body use up the stored calories it has
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Reduced appetite is a great side effect of LC/keto. I eat the same things most of the time, but I did that anyway eating a SAD, lol. I just don't get the cravings for junk now, or anything really. But I am content and plan on staying on keto forever.