Sugar alcohols?

Options
ladyj22
ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
Do you count sugar alcohols in your net carbs? Or total carbs?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on which ones. Erythritol has been shown several times to not be absorbed by the intestines at all, so no on that one. The others (Malitol, Xylitol, etc.) yes.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% in @Gallowmere1984's camp here. The ONLY food I count net carbs for is Erythritol. All other sugar alcohols I count total carbs for.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid most of them, as I've had some rather poor reactions. I do count Erythritol as a net carb- no reactions to that one.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Depends on which ones. Erythritol has been shown several times to not be absorbed by the intestines at all, so no on that one. The others (Malitol, Xylitol, etc.) yes.

Not absorbed in the small intestines? or large intestines?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Not absorbed in the small intestines? or large intestines?

Thanks for catching that. I really need to stop typing while sleep deprived. It is absorbed by the small intestine (but not all of it), and just ends up being filtered by the kidneys in the same state, and tossed out in urine. What little does make it through to the large just kind of passes through without change, not being fermented, which is why it's the only SA I've ever encountered that never seems to cause explosions on the back end either.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    How weird. Erythritol spikes my insulin reactions and makes me super sleepy. The only one I don't count is liquid Sweet Leaf brand Stevia, and I use that sparingly at best.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    How weird. Erythritol spikes my insulin reactions and makes me super sleepy. The only one I don't count is liquid Sweet Leaf brand Stevia, and I use that sparingly at best.

That is quite literally the first time I have ever heard that. O_o
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

Oh crap. Really? The ice cream I've been eating has Malitol and I haven't been counting it. Dang it, I can't win!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

That is quite literally the first time I have ever heard that. O_o

@Gallowmere1984 - I'm insulin resistant - and my body reacts pretty much the opposite of any normal/sane person's reactions... I don't know if that plays in at all. It is possible that the 2-3 brands I tried of Erythritol had fillers like maltodextrin and/or dextrose, as I can't honestly recall and have no interest in repeating that experiment. I know I react terribly to those in things like powdered Splenda...which it's been over a year since I used.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Makes sense. The damned bulking agents in those things can be a nightmare. So long as you've found what works for you, no sense in tempting fate. Though there would be ways to easily find out, if you ever did care to. The lab that I order my liquid nicotine from also sells erythritol dissolved into vegetable glycerin for use as a sweetener in vaporizors.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Makes sense. The damned bulking agents in those things can be a nightmare. So long as you've found what works for you, no sense in tempting fate. Though there would be ways to easily find out, if you ever did care to. The lab that I order my liquid nicotine from also sells erythritol dissolved into vegetable glycerin for use as a sweetener in vaporizors.

@Gallowmere1984 - My guy is a vapor and mixologist, too, so I know all about that stuff, also. I've yet to do any concrete testing on the scents/tastes of vapor alone flare up my IR, as I don't vape and never smoked, but I do know that certain food smells do set it off, so it makes me wonder about the vape smells, too, though they often aren't as "full-bodied" as certain food scents.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Yeah, they're generally pretty faint if catching it second hand, even if you live with a full-fledged cloudchaser. Unless of course one goes way too heavy with the flavors (though this is subject to preference) and runs a relatively high PG blend (60%+).

If you do ever notice one setting you off, I'd definitely be curious to hear the brands, flavors, and mix ratios involved, assuming that he's willing to share said information.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Absolutely, I'm willing to share the info. He typically does max VG, so we're not heavy on PG unless the flavors are premixed premium brands. Luckily for me, he's not into fruits, so the majority of his flavors are coffee/tobacco based, and those don't trigger any mental cravings... The only things I've ever encountered that seemed to have any trigger at all tend to be around my own personal food cravings...like if a food doesn't appeal to me, the vape liquid is a non-issue - so I think that most of this would be really individualized in the reactions. I find it funny that some flavors just smell - odd. As an example, anything doughnut/waffle based, all I smell is yeast, buttery scent (sometimes), and any sweetener/maple/butter pecan, etc. they use.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

Oh crap. Really? The ice cream I've been eating has Malitol and I haven't been counting it. Dang it, I can't win!!

How does that work for you? Maltilol anything has me in the bathroom nearly immediately.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I could write you NOVELS on the bathroom drama I've endured in the last 18 months. And I could go back in time to my original attempt at Atkins in like 2001-2002 - when I was unaware of what an evil jerk Maltitol is - and that I should actually work on my addictions (yes, you, Atkins brand dark chocolate covered almonds).

If you want any idea of what that reaction was, google "sugar free gummy bear amazon reviews." It was very much like that. I'll spare you the details.

I'm curious to attempt Mr. Maltitol again while fully armed with diatomaceous earth. Maybe some day, when I'm feeling brave and have forgotten the trauma he caused in my life (which isn't likely, considering I can still remember the violence from what, 15 years ago?)...
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

How does that work for you? Maltilol anything has me in the bathroom nearly immediately.

I might be in need of a little dose of this then.
    I'm currently having the opposite problem. :/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »

For some reason, if the constipation is but so bad, I feel like this would be like putting a stick of dynamite behind a steel wall.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »

@Cryren8972 - SO MUCH NO. It's painful and goes on for hours/days of Hades-like torture. I do not recommend this to anyone. The Amazon reviews are NOT EXAGGERATING. It is really like that... Unless you want to think you are dying, I so DO not recommend it. There are some constipation threads flagged in the "launch pad" sticky post. Please check there for better and healthier suggestions where you won't be praying to whatever higher power you believe in to just kill you now...
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    One of the first things my dietitian suggested was to follow blood glucose testing protocol for each sugar alcohol. The lab averages are just that, but many of us don't fit into the lab averages. I now know which ones I can subtract/ingest and which I can't, although I rarely bother to do the math. I subtract fibre and that's it.

If you need the bg test protocol, I can copy/paste it here.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @ki4eld - I would love the protocol! I really need to test this myself... I haven't. I just know I "narc out" with certain ones, but I definitely need to find my carb thresholds and best tolerance levels within my insulin resistance!