Options
I'm 5'6
I'm 144lbs now with goal 123.

I don't really know if I'm too heavy for this group :/

Replies

• vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same, and I didn't even think to ask permission to join the group -- I just went ahead and added myself!!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm 146 and 5'9" and joined when I was no longer in the overweight category (169). I don't think it REALLY matters though if the group is helpful to you :)
  • Megarachnid
    Megarachnid Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think it is totally up to you :smile:
  • Ranaeil
    Ranaeil Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 156 and 5'3". According to BMI, someone of my height should weight 119lbs. I was gaunt looking when I was at 125! I want to get down to 133-34ish. I'd like to think this is an inclusive group and if it helps, hey! no harm in staying :)
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I'm 146 and 5'9" and joined when I was no longer in the overweight category (169). I don't think it REALLY matters though if the group is helpful to you :)

How long did it take you to get where you are? I'm starting this week at 165 (I've already lost 2.5 lbs) and my go is 145 but I might even keep going after that.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    everyone's welcome! There's no size requirement! There's just a different struggle. Some people on MFP have 100 or more to lose and feel motivated by people in the same boat. Some of us just need a kick start or to tone up etc. Welcome!
  • twentytwelve12
    twentytwelve12 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 175lb and aiming towards 130lb.
  • irishri
    irishri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm over 55, had 2 children and am only 5'2" and weigh 144. Would love to get down to the "ideal" weight for my height at 125 but there's no way at my age. Trying to get healthy and be fit for who I am right now.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have around 17 pounds to go
  • pescetarian_love
    pescetarian_love Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 - 148 lbs- with a goal of 140 lbs
  • rhoda1990
    rhoda1990 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft5 165lbs - with a goal of 150 lbs
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    cla11b wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

How long did it take you to get where you are? I'm starting this week at 165 (I've already lost 2.5 lbs) and my go is 145 but I might even keep going after that.

@cla11b total journey? I started on February 1 at 213 and am 143 today, so just over 5 months.
  • SSB09040
    SSB09040 Posts: 53 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've discovered for myself that weight is not always a reliable goal/guide.
    I've only lost about 1.5 kg since working out over the past 18 months (although fitness not weight loss was and remains my goal) yet dropped a size in jeans/shorts/skirts (from 8-10 to 6-8).
    Working out (cardio and weights) has certainly improved my body shape and tone yet not drastically reduced my weight (121 lb).
  • Charawe123
    Charawe123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 121lbs 5ft4. My goal is 105.Any tips
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think it's a self-assessment. I'm 5'2" and 113. That's well within the normal range, but it's a very high weight for me, along with a high body fat percentage. I don't look good, can't fit into most of my clothes, and feel awful about it. Although I'm older and it's much harder to get weight off I need to do something.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Charawe123 wrote: »
    I am 121lbs 5ft4. My goal is 105.Any tips

Calorie reduction by whatever means works for you. Healthy exercise for general health.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    irishri wrote: »
    I'm over 55, had 2 children and am only 5'2" and weigh 144. Would love to get down to the "ideal" weight for my height at 125 but there's no way at my age. Trying to get healthy and be fit for who I am right now.

Actually, it seems to me that age has less to do with it than motivation and attitude.

One of my best buddies is 55yo, 5'4" and weighs all of a 105lbs. She's underweight according to most scales, but she's also a marathon runner, a triathlete, and a paddleboard racer. She is extremely active (works out most mornings for an hour or more, then goes for a run or paddle later in the day depending on her schedule) which is why she never really gains weight (and I've seen her eat...she doesn't hold back, so she's NOT starving herself).

Right now, I'm 52yo, 5'3", just down to 140 (from 149), and I have no doubt I can get to 120 by December which is my current goal (in spite of being menopausal). I race paddleboards against my friend, and I know if I can drop weight, I can be more competitive with her (right now she beats me by 10-15 minutes in races). I just keep my calories in a deficit and have been consistently losing about .6 - 1.2 pounds a week (4-5 pounds a month). It's slow but do-able.

I believe you can do it...I hope you do too!
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm post-menopausal as of 2011. I put on 20 pounds from 2010 to Jan, 2016. Even though I have been working out on a regular basis for the last 15 years, I had (sub-consciously-?) reduced my exercise intensity and kept eating the same amount as my younger years. I blamed my weight gain on menopause and thought it would be very difficult to lose that extra 20 pounds.

A friend recommended MFP back in January, and I have lost 22 pounds by tracking all of my calories, using a scale, and I have a Fitbit HR Charge. I have increased workouts to a minimum of 10,000 steps daily, strength training 3 days per week, more HIIT running and biking. I cut back on drinking alcohol by drinking only on weekends. (Frankly, I got into a bad habit of having 2 drinks every evening. Lots of empty calories!)

I went from 160 (5'5.5" tall) in January to 138 today. I might be at my goal weight, but I'm not sure. (maybe 135?) I now know that menopause is no excuse for weight gain! Good luck to all the meno ladies reading this... you can do it!
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am also post menopausal and am in the category of skinny fat. I am 166 cm 58kg BMI 20.8 but my fat levels put me in the obese range. I have been advised to keep to 1400 cal 40% carbs and30% fat and protein and keep up the weight training with less cardio. I am trying but it takes a lot of time trying to juggle my food to achieve the right macro mix and keep to the calorie limit especially as it is winter here and I am always hungry.
  • lorenfie
    lorenfie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    5'9 with a goal of 135-140! Currently 149, any advice is welcome for the last 10!