Week 3: Edinburgh, Scotland

Options
rusgolden
rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
CHALLENGE #1: “Highland Games” (10 points)

In the spirit of the Highland Games, we are going to be using weights for our workout!
In order to earn your 10 points, each video must be done 5 times, for a total of 10 workouts. You can do one video 5 times in one day, or spread them out over the course of the week.

CHALLENGE # 2: “Everybody Dance Now!” (10 points)

Highland Dancing:

Highland Dancing is done by both men and women, solo and in groups for the country dance. The videos below illustrate the basic steps of the Highland Fling, a dance said to symbolize a victory. Competitions at the Highland Games range from Primary to Premier. We will start with Primary.
To earn your 10 points, you need to do (or ATTEMPT to do) each video at least THREE TIMES.

CHALLENGE #3: “Tayberries or Tatties” (5 points)
Let’s turn to the National Fruit of Scotland: the Raspberry. Although Scotland is known for its Tayberries (a combo of raspberries and blackberries), raspberries are much more easily available for those of us not living in Scotland.

For your 5 point challenge, we want you to use raspberries in a NUTRITIONAL DISH (no pies & tarts!) AND post your recipe (or just a brief summary of how you ate your raspberries) on your team thread.
To help you out, here’s a link to some raspberry recipes: http://www.driscolls.com/recipes/raspberry-recipes?page=2
(Please scroll past the pies and tarts and concentrate on nutritional uses such as smoothies). Or, you just may prefer to eat your raspberries plain, as a snack. That’s fine, and more power to you!

If you are allergic to raspberries, or they are not available in your area, we offer an alternate choice of turnips (or “tatties”, as they are called in Scotland).

Replies

• littlebarry
    littlebarry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in The Hamptons for my 40th Birthday / July 4th Party, and won't be back until Tuesday. I can't get the spreadsheet on my phone...could someone please put 47 Min on the sheet for me for Sunday, July 3. Thanks, and have a happy 4th everyone! (Even if you're not in the US :) )
  • osche731
    osche731 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I won't be on a computer until tomorrow night! Does @jschmid2 need to be replaced ?
  • Meowler
    Meowler Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No problem @osche731. I think @jschmid2 is staying with us this week based on what @rusgolden has said, but she'll need to communicate with group more and get involved in activities as it's not fair on the team or those on the waiting list and eager to join the race. I understand she was busy last week but hope she can join us this week. :)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to wish you a happy 40th Birthday @littlebarry! Hope you have a lovely time celebrating your milestone. Happy 4th July!
  • jschmid2
    jschmid2 Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm here!! I had to sleep...a lot...to recover. I have looked at what we need to do this week and am going to work on it the best I can. :)

Looking forward to racing with you all!
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Back from vacation! Ready to try this crazy pile of ... weights and Highland dancing???? Luckily we have a huge raspberry patch, so I'm all on for that aspect of this week's challenge!
  • iheartcookies2
    iheartcookies2 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @littlebarry Happy birthday! :) I hope you had a Lovely day.

I've been so busy these last few Days. So much at work and I'm also trying to plan my vacation trip.
  • tyedyechick0930
    tyedyechick0930 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! I'm back from vacation as well. It was so nice and relaxing. I didnt get any exercise in last Fri they Sun except a little walking here and there. Those were our travel days. But I just read up on the challenges for this week. Very exciting! I really don't care for raspberries at all...or any berries because of the seeds..one of those texture people lol. But on the good hand..I love turnips! I think I'm going to try a casserole with the turnips that I usually use squash for..hmm we'll see how this will go. I'm on my phone tonight but I'll have access to my computer tomorrow and can update the spreadsheet. :) Hope y'all Americans had a happy Independence Day.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm here...took a couple of days off trying to heal my leg better. I'm hitting the pool for my ridiculous aqua jog this afternoon and then do some weights so I'll add in some minutes later this evening. And we're in last place....got to get moving!!
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I have raspberries in the backyard, but they aren't even close to being ripe :(. I'll have to look to see if I can get fresh ones. Otherwise I guess I'll make a smoothie with frozen ones. I don't like turnips!
  • littlebarry
    Options
    Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

We need to start having some fun around here. It feels like we're slipping away...

So, the night of the 4th (in NY) water started to fall from the sky!! I thought it was some sort of birthday prank...but my friends were like "...Dude, it's just rain."

"No way!"

"Way."

I got out of there as fast as I could!

For those of you who don't know: It doesn't rain in Southern California...pretty much ever. When it does all h**l breaks loose. Mud slides, houses trying to surf the mud, etc.

Anyway, here's a fun video to start the day (actually, I might be the only one starting the day...). It's about "When it Rains in LA":

Anyway, Have a Great Day Everybody! Go Team 5!!

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

We need to start having some fun around here. It feels like we're slipping away...

So, the night of the 4th (in NY) water started to fall from the sky!! I thought it was some sort of birthday prank...but my friends were like "...Dude, it's just rain."

"No way!"

"Way."

I got out of there as fast as I could!

For those of you who don't know: It doesn't rain in Southern California...pretty much ever. When it does all h**l breaks loose. Mud slides, houses trying to surf the mud, etc.

Anyway, Have a Great Day Everybody! Go Team 5!!

Awesome! :) It is even funnier when southerners experience snow for the first time!
  • ajff
    Options
    Oh my, have you tried the highland dancing yet????

OIY.

The first video is this corny kids' lesson which felt like... not even exercise.

The second video made me crave zumba. I think I mostly just alternated jumping on one foot then the other with some flailing thrown in for laughs!!!! I'm about half way through the reps needed; I like the strength videos much better.

Good luck team 5! I see we are slipping a bit in points, so I'm going to try and add an extra walk in today while the kids are in swimming lessons to get a few more minutes on our board. Anyone in for a few extra minutes with me????
  • littlebarry
    Options
    I think the problem with the dancing is that it's hard to have a video that isn't super intimidating (which is why @hawkins410 started with the kids). I Think we're just supposed to keep moving with the music and try and have fun for a few minutes. I don't think were expected to actually be able to do this stuff (I can't even master the kids moves :D ) If you read through the other team threads, there are people who have problems with everything. It's got to pretty hard to try and come up with challenges that almost 100 people will all enjoy....:dizzy:
  • littlebarry
    Options
    I think the problem with dancing is that it's hard to have a video that isn't super intimidating (which is probably why @hawkins410 started with the kids). I Think we're just supposed to keep moving with the music, and try to have fun for a few minutes. I don't think we're expected to actually be able to do this stuff (I can't even master the kids' moves :D ) If you read through the other teams' threads, there are some people who seem to have problems with everything. It's got to pretty hard to try and come up with challenges that almost 100 people will all enjoy....:dizzy:

(I wrote this originally on the way out the door. This is the only way that I could fix my typos)

• BirdParrott
    BirdParrott Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm out for the rest of the week. Headed to Veneta, Oregon to photograph the Oregon Country Fair. I will be walking all day everyday and dancing till the sun comes up... not sure how I'll input my hours, but I'll deal with that when I have to deal with reality again.

Anyone curious about the Oregon Country Fair (and you just might want to be), check out these photos...

https://google.com/search?q=oregon+country+fair&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3wPHI3ODNAhVO0GMKHX-RBSYQ_AUICCgB&biw=1485&bih=1008 [/url]
  • 2016summerfun
    2016summerfun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hee hee love the clip Littlebarry.
    I have been doing hours of gardening to earn my minutes. cutting lawns. moving slabs. weeding. planting. for the last two days. I will be doing the dancing over the weekend. I have had the raspberries. a sort of Eton mess.
  • Meowler
    Meowler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the radio silence! I wasn't feeling well on Monday/Tuesday and didn't get any exercise in. Feeling more myself now and aiming to do Scottish dancing and game challenges by the end of tomorrow.

I'll be away this weekend but there should be some walking involved so I'll still be logging.
  • littlebarry
    Options
    I'm out for the rest of the week. Headed to Veneta, Oregon to photograph the Oregon Country Fair. I will be walking all day everyday and dancing till the sun comes up... not sure how I'll input my hours, but I'll deal with that when I have to deal with reality again.

Anyone curious about the Oregon Country Fair (and you just might want to be), check out these photos...

https://google.com/search?q=oregon+country+fair&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3wPHI3ODNAhVO0GMKHX-RBSYQ_AUICCgB&biw=1485&bih=1008 [/url]

If you can post your time to this thread we'll get it put in.

Have a Great Time!!
  • littlebarry
    Options
    Meowler wrote: »
    Sorry for the radio silence! I wasn't feeling well on Monday/Tuesday and didn't get any exercise in. Feeling more myself now and aiming to do Scottish dancing and game challenges by the end of tomorrow.

I'll be away this weekend but there should be some walking involved so I'll still be logging.

Glad you're starting to feel better!
  • ajff
    Options
    Oh, my post was all in good spirit! I was just putting out there that I tried, I laughed, I will try again! I'm so not a complainer about work others have done for my benefit!

Yesterday I put in an extra 41 minutes to try and earn us some points. Today I'm going to try and get up to an hour of work done in my basement: the rest of this challenge (bring on the Highland dancing!) and maybe a Jillian video, it is raining so I'm not sure I'll get a walk in this morning... but maybe during kids' softball practice???