46 with a wonky thyroid!

Options
Golbat
Golbat Posts: 276 Member
And two kids and weight gain with each of them.

I've been trying to lose weight for ages and I've failed. I've just always been way, way too hungry and I end up snacking. I complained to my doctor and told him about all the healthy foods I was eating, and he suggested not worrying so much about fat, and increasing my protein. I don't eat a lot of meat (just not a favorite food) so I'm having protein shakes and smoothies and that kind of thing part of the time to give me more protein. I was already having smoothies so this isn't a big change - just the addition of protein is new. And I have stopped keeping close track of how much fat I eat, though I wouldn't call myself a low carb high fat eater by any measure.

Anyway, so far so good. I seem to be losing and I'm not going hungry for once.

Replies

• coastal247
    coastal247 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am in a love / hate relationship with thyroid as well. As if being healthy wasn't hard enough? Just know I feel ya struggle! I have recently added a 'stress B Complex' vitamin and have noticed a good difference. Also using coconut oil as much as possible. Do some reading on both and see if it might be something for you. Good luck, it CAN be done!!
  • pez9375
    pez9375 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am having my thyroid removed later this summer and I am really concerned how this will affect losing weight. My thyroid levels are normal but I'm tired and hungry all the time!!!
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid killed with radioactive iodine over 20 years ago because of Graves Disease. I went from hyperthyroid to no thyroid. I take Synthroid and supplement with a very high dose of Vitamin B which makes a huge difference in how I feel. I have to work hard and consistently to keep healthy and fit and the biggest struggle I have is just having energy. I'm no couch potato, but I just don't have the ability to get 'jump up and down' excited over anything...no matter how amazing it is...if that makes sense. Strength training is at the top of my list for keeping on track.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i had my complete thyroid removed over 10 years ago, due to cancer. I am on synthroid. i had problems losing weight before it was removed. it's no better now, even though my levels are good and maintaining. being hungry and tired, for me, have NOTHING to do with my thyroid and everything to do with my exercising (which i am lacking regularly).
  • fourliles
    fourliles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with the Vitamin B complex. I'm 44 with a wonky thyroid :wink:
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 4,007 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and I'm on Levothyroxin and lately my doc has me trying 2 diff dosages on alternating days and even she says if it doesn't work to go off generic b:c synthroid has more consistent formula--so be aware of that.
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Fellow wonky thyroid gal here - I'm going to be looking into Vit.B Complex - always looking for ways to boost my energy level!
  • misskat39
    misskat39 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    modmom1 wrote: »
    I had my thyroid killed with radioactive iodine over 20 years ago because of Graves Disease. I went from hyperthyroid to no thyroid. I take Synthroid and supplement with a very high dose of Vitamin B which makes a huge difference in how I feel. I have to work hard and consistently to keep healthy and fit and the biggest struggle I have is just having energy. I'm no couch potato, but I just don't have the ability to get 'jump up and down' excited over anything...no matter how amazing it is...if that makes sense. Strength training is at the top of my list for keeping on track.

I feel the same. I thought I was alone with this feeling.
  • brithlp_mfp
    brithlp_mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very interested to see everyone recommending vit B - I must try that.

Like most people with thyroid issues my weight went up before I was diagnosed, and this year's the first time I've really tried to lose weight since taking levothyroxine. Doing any exercise was very hard at first because I'd got so used to being tired all the time that I hadn't been to the gym for years so my stamina was poor - it's a vicious circle.

But! My energy levels really picked up within a few weeks, so it's worth pushing through the tough part (I think partly I get mentally tired, if that makes any sense and exercising definitely helps with that). Anyway, I've lost 85lbs since January so something's working :) Keep at it, and it will get easier!
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a wonky thyroid and I have started to take vitamin b tablets, sea kelp tablets and drinking soy milk. I am hoping this will help boost my metabolism and start some annoying weight to shift.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm in this boat too! I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's and am on synthroid, pending bloodwork and possible adjusting in a few weeks. I gained 20lbs in the also few months despite a deficit and exercise. Very frustrating! I lift often and walk and am hoping the new med will help me finally lose some fat!

@brithlp_mfp-how did you lose 85lbs? I'd love advice on how you're eating with hypothyroidism and losing well :) great job!
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting on thyroid tests