Not hungry, do I need to eat to get my carbs/calories for the day?

Options
DameMcMame
DameMcMame Posts: 18 Member
I'm in the middle of week 6 of low carbing. I'm usually not hungry but eat my prepared foods. Tonight, I'm a little sick to my stomach when I think of eating. Like I OVERATE. I had my lunch over 7 hours ago and it was salmon with mashed cauliflower. Anyway, do I need to force myself to eat before bed?

Replies

• kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't force myself to eat, if I wasn't hungry. I'd simply take the cue that my body was satisfied with the day's intake.
  • DameMcMame
    Options
    OK. I was worried about that warning the calorie counter gives you because it was only 800 calories today. I appreciate your feedback!
  • DameMcMame
    Options
    Ah yes, good point. I have over 100 lbs to lose, so yeah, I've got plenty of energy for my body to hack into. Too bad the protein and fiber doesn't suppress hunger for, you know, ever.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Roll with the unhungry feelings, for now. Hungry will return. Then you will wonder what is causing it. This will likely be hormone related, but you can also look at your diary to see if there are any trigger foods that could be causing it (like artificial sweeteners, or some other food you haven't been eating for a while). Keep on keeping on with the food diary (this helped me so much in the beginning) and you will continue to learn from the food you consume. This will lead to looking at food as fuel (you've always heard of this, and will experience it for yourself over time with continued commitment to this woe), and be able to guide food choices based on what your body needs, instead of choosing food just because it's there.

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have diabetes or other health issues that would be affected, just go with it. There are definitely days when I'm less hungry, and days where I'm hungrier.

If you're noticing many days with that low of a calorie intake, check in with your doctor. Very-low calorie diets can lead to electrolyte issues, so they might want to check levels. Similar issues with sodium and potassium levels that we see with LCHF anyways, but to a greater degree.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I do not intend to force feed or choke down food when I have no appetite. What I do instead is have a cup of Boullion cube broth or decaf tea with cream and Kerry butter and I go to bed.
    When this happens, the next morning, I'm usually a bit lighter on the scale.
    Trusting my body and our LCHF advice has been very helpful.
  • flavia1432
    flavia1432 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's what I did one night when it was too late to eat and I really wanted to just go to bed. Make some tasty butter boullion and called it a night.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I get fuller a lot faster when I'm eating. Also, that natural pause that you get when you stop eating for a little while truly marks the end of my eating, now. I've lost the desire to pick up my fork and finish my food. I just wrap it up for leftovers. I also find myself not eating breakfast til 10:30/11 and I'll eat dinner a bit later, sometimes with a snack of vegetables in between, but I'm even finding a lack of desire to eat my snack, now. I think when your body is finally getting the nutrients it needs, it's more satisfied so it's not sending you the signal to find something else in hopes of getting those necessary elements.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate of listening to your body. I'm 10 years binge free after struggling with a binge eating disorder for 17 years and I refuse to eat when my body says it's not hungry. Google leptin and hunger, there's a lot of good info that supports listening to hunger and satiety cues.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My husband gets a little worried if I don't have "enough food" for the day. Years ago, I had an eating disorder, and had slowly restricted myself to eating one Lean Cuisine a day...and then the next day I may not eat at all. If I overate...well, I would make myself get sick.
    I have never had a healthy relationship with food. I either over eat, or under eat.
    With that said, this has been the healthiest way I have been able to lose weight. I need to see the scales move, and feel my clothes getting bigger to not panic.
    Anyway, time and time again, he will say "you're starving yourself". I keep explaining...No, I'm honestly not hungry. I show him my dairy to prove that I'm eating, and he focuses on the calorie count. Most days it stays around 1200, and even up to 1500...but he always seems to notice the 800 calorie days.
    I don't feel like I did back then about my body. I WANT to be healthy...
    I totally get where you're coming from though. I almost feel like I have to eat enough calories for everyone else to be happy.
    I'm learning to listen to my body instead, and I'm much happier and feel like an eating issue isn't in the horizon.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm with you there @Cryren8972! My husband is so stuck on getting in three meals a day! Even though he is eating lc with me he doesn't understand IF. He can sleep until noon and still has to have three meals a day. He gets a bit worried when I tell him I'm not hungry. I've tried to explain the concept but he doesn't get it as being a healthy thing to do, and thinks that I must be starving (like he says he usually is!) to death!

Anyway, I understand all of the hubby struggles!
  • anewlifeat40
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I'm with you there @Cryren8972! My husband is so stuck on getting in three meals a day! Even though he is eating lc with me he doesn't understand IF. He can sleep until noon and still has to have three meals a day. He gets a bit worried when I tell him I'm not hungry. I've tried to explain the concept but he doesn't get it as being a healthy thing to do, and thinks that I must be starving (like he says he usually is!) to death!

OMG! I have an ongoing debate with my husband because he INSISTS he has to eat three meals even if he slept in and technically missed breakfast... I find that mentality so strange... He's skinny and has a fast metabolism though, so in his mind if he eats less than normal he might starve to death... LOL! My son is like me and hates eating breakfast... My hubs would nag him to eat before school every single day but he just wasn't hungry, I'm the same and so is my dad... It's a genetic thing I guess... I finally forbid him to make him eat after reading some research that refuted the whole need to eat breakfast belief... He wakes up STARVING every morning so he can't wrap his head around why anyone would willingly skip the meal...
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    My hubby is 5'11'' ish (he's shrinking lately) , and was 199 pounds when he began eating "his way of my way". Dropped bread, potatoes, pasta, and rice. Still has fruit, some veggies, and his beer, and has lost 23 pounds (now weighs 176 pounds!). Is now worried that he has lost too much! I keep reminding him that his body will land at the "normal" weight for him, and that it won't keep losing. He is skeptical, and gets on the scale more than I do, lol!

But, yes, he thinks he's going to just pass out if he doesn't get something to eat! He may have had some hypoglycemia at times. Now, I believe it's just habit, and his mother telling him he needs a "balanced diet"! She is always asking him, and our son, what we've had to eat (she should have been more concerned with it when we were eating frozen lasagna, and cereal!)!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

OMG! I have an ongoing debate with my husband because he INSISTS he has to eat three meals even if he slept in and technically missed breakfast... I find that mentality so strange... He's skinny and has a fast metabolism though, so in his mind if he eats less than normal he might starve to death... LOL! My son is like me and hates eating breakfast... My hubs would nag him to eat before school every single day but he just wasn't hungry, I'm the same and so is my dad... It's a genetic thing I guess... I finally forbid him to make him eat after reading some research that refuted the whole need to eat breakfast belief... He wakes up STARVING every morning so he can't wrap his head around why anyone would willingly skip the meal...

This is exactly my situation. My husband doesn't feel the need to still eat 3 meals if sleeping in, but he is 100% sure that you HAVE TO eat right after waking up. My poor son has been force fed breakfast his entire life. When I tried to explain to hubby that a glass of milk would be plenty and that my son is just like me and my daughters too for that matter, I got a subtle comment suggesting It was just bad parenting that I never forced my daughters to eat breakfast and sent them to school starving and his son wasn't going to be like that.
    So in my husbands view, pop tarts and a glass of orange juice is better than not eating even if you're not hungry or just having a glass of milk or a breakfast shake. I tried suggesting liquid "meals" over the years, but "that's not food".
    Anyway, my son and I worked out that since dad gets up later than us, he just needs to eat a couple bites of something and dad doesn't have to know how much. lol

It didn't help that my son was always underweight until about 10. Then he got into the low end of normal weight. He's still very very thin, but he has an athletic build and visible muscle on his skinny 14 year old frame. So, I think he's doing fine.
    Except he's a junk food junkie! Not sweets though. Boy loves Doritos!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat when not hungry either. That's part of what got us here in the first place, right? ;)

My calories were set at 1420 but I rarely ate that. Some days were 1200, 0r 800, or 2000, or 1700. It averaged out to 1500. I lost 2-3 lbs per week doing that. To be honest, I think the caloric variation helped me lose. I never hit a plateau so maybe that constant up and down helped with that too.

Me too. They don't notice breafast being skipped as much because the kids are homeschooled so on most days they have the flexibility to eat later too, but I like BPC (usually 1 teaspoon coconut oil and some protein powder) for breakfast and lunch so they don't see that as eating. I am eating! Well, drinking my food. ;) I may not have solid food until 2pm but I have still had a few hundred calories of fat and protein. I'd rather save my calories for a big dinner.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    flavia1432 wrote: »
    This. This right here is exactly why I wanted to join this group. I have these same questions...but when I ask, I get preached to. I'm over the "flu", I've gained some muscle and lost some fat percentages. Yay, right? But when I complete my MFP for the day, they come back with the canned "We think you might be over Karen Carpenter doing it" thing and I get worried. I forced myself to choke down enough dinner to get almost nearly to my calorie goals last night just so MFP wouldn't be a condescending kitty. And I wondered if I was doing it wrong. I'm meeting my macros, I'm not hungry, I feel great... Enough already. You guys are great. I'll just wait until I get good and hungry again...and continue to feel great. :)

To get past the MFP warnings use the quick calories & put in fake calories.

>:) or o:)

• anewlifeat40
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ my son is built like yours... He's very slim and fit... Played soccer 3x a week till 7th grade and now does karate and guitar instead, said soccer got too competitive and took away the fun... He's turning 13 soon and we struggled to get him to eat much of anything until about 6 months ago. Now he's eating everything and eating us out of house and home, is still small for his age, but LOVES his veggies and his chips, so I'm not overly worried... It'll work itself out... I wish my parents had taught me to listen to my hunger and satiety cues!