Water

Options
13»

Replies

• Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use to never drink water. If it wasn't black I didn't drink it. Now I almost have to have it or I feel dehydrated or sluggish. I agree making sure it has ice in it works. I drink it much easier when it's ice cold and the same with my green tea. I don't put anything in either one of them other than ice. I haven't really noticed it doing anything for my skin but it does make me feel more energetic during the day.
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have never drank a lot of water. One cup a week was stretching it. I dont like it at all. I can drink the bubbly kind that tastes good without a problem (which is what i drank during my pregnancy's). I'm really trying to drink more water now but (and this is a big but) i work 40 hours a week in a place where we are not aloud to have water any where but our lockers. Because im so used to dehydrating myself i dont get thirsty as much as i should and will go 4 hours without even realizing that i haven't drank anything. Let alone water. Has anyone ever heard of any type of sneeky water storage that i could wear on my body? Im so desperate that im willing to cheat the system.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    For how much to drink, I follow the rule of my current weight/2 and drink the resulting number in Ounces per day. I add another 8 ounces for meds I take that require extra water, another 8 Ounces for exercise and if I go overboard on coffee or tea (caffeinated), I add another 8 Ounces.

The best bet for taste is going to be anything that is anti- inflammatory many of which people have referenced above: Lemon, ginger, cucumber, watermelon, mint. A super amazing combo is Lemon, mint and lavender. Yum! Lightly steeped green tea is really good as well.
  • anjelby
    anjelby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you hate drinking water, let your body be your guide and ask yourself why? Why does drinking a lot of water turn me off? Maybe, you are low on potassium or magnesium. Drinking water flushes minerals from your system and you can actually feel worse -- not better from that. Low potassium or magnesium can also put you at risk for stroke and heart disease. (google "magnesium and stroke" or "potassium and stroke".) Try upping your mineral intake through supplementing or eating potassium/magnesium rich foods like sweet potatoes, oranges, bananas, collards, etc. If you are working out and sweating a lot, and then drinking a lot of water you can lose too much sodium (salt) and that can give you horrible, horrible muscle spasms, which is why the NFL and other athletic associations have drinks on the field with electrolytes (thats fancy talk for minerals). Gatorade. Except I intensely dislike gatorade. ugg. At any rate, people die from lack of minerals all the time. It's the number one killer of young children in places that suffer from lack of clean water. Kids get diarrhea and poop out all of their potassium, magnesium and die from organ failure. Stops their heart. Same thing happens if you drink too much water too quickly. Remember, the lady who died from drinking a gallon of water in five minutes as a dare? Too much, too fast -- very dead.

Secondly, many water systems in the US are outrageously full of fluoride, chlorine and actual bacterial organisms. If you hate water... listen to your body... it may be trying to tell you something. Clean water actually tastes wonderful. Try different bottled waters until you find one that your body says "omg this is freaking great!" If you can't afford that water on a consistent basis, and some of them are more expensive than steak, and almost all of them are about as expensive as gas for your car -- you can do a lot to ameliorate the pitiful water that comes out of your tap. Filters for a start. If you can't afford a really good filter just letting the chlorine evaporate before you drink, is way better than drinking a teaspoon of bleach every day.

Adding lemon to bad water actually does help clean water -- it kills bacteria and adds a mini-dose of minerals while also counteracting chlorine.

I'm a great believer in listening to your body! It's not always easy to figure out what it's trying to say. But do listen. Try eating a sweet potato every day and then try increasing daily water. Does that help?
  • swatilr
    swatilr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I struggled with drinking water too, I used to drink about 2-3 glasses each day. I read on one of the posts here in MFP about the benefits of water and I decided to try to increase my water intake. Now I am anywhere between 50-70 oz, which I am still trying to increase.

The combination that really worked for me was lemon/orange & cucumber slices with some mint leaves. The taste of this added such zing and pepped my mood & energy up every time I drank it. :)

Good Luck !
  • twentytwelve12
    twentytwelve12 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I felt better when drinking water. It's a struggle to drink enough water during the day. Doesn't help that it's in the middle of Winter.
  • twentytwelve12
    twentytwelve12 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh my these groups/posts are old.
  • kosmo24
    kosmo24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can handle only a few glasses of plain water a day, but I crave a carbonated drink. So I purchased a Bonneo carbanator and now drink over 80oz a day of any flavor I want.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Drinking distilled water was enlightening for me. It tastes soooo much better than tap. I found out later that I'm extremely sensitive to fluoride. My life has improved leaps and bounds since moving to an area that doesn't fluoridate. btw the only way to filter out fluoride is via double reverse osmosis. When water doesn't cut it I either add lemon, or get some coconut water because I'm in need of electrolytes.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    for the last 6 months i have managed to drink 1-2litres of water per day on top of tea coffee which i dont count as water intake
    i am pretty much dairy ( milk free) and have noticed the puffy bags under my eyes are no more
    my facial skin is tighter, still a few lines - however i need to drop another 10-12kg to see more changes.
    i excercise pretty much daily now - 5 days gym 7 days covering a 5km power walk - it all helps to tighten things up
    over the last 180 days most of my weight loss has been visible on legs and trunk - have dropped 2kg off per leg and the skin has tightened up around the muscle. My trunk needs a little more time currently my stomach area has gone from being large and bursting over my trousers to now having some ripple like lines where the fat is coming off. lots of core excercise going on to reduce the skin in line with the fat loss.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to drink at least 2 quarts (8 cups) and nor more than 3 quarts (12 cups) of water.

Doctor’s advice: HALF my weight in pounds. 80/8 oz cups = 10 cups or 2-1/2 cups. I set reminders on my phone to insure my water is distributed throughout the day (as sipping water throughout the day is best as our bodies cannot store it well.)

Water is the medium for many reactions in the human body such as building proteins from the amino acids you eat and building new cells!! Important! Those reactions slow down if there are no molecules from your water intake to support them!

Once I knew this, I treated my water intake more seriously. Drink up!!