Anyone else suffering from greasy hair since doing the diet??

Options
jameela798
jameela798 Posts: 22 Member
I've long, thick hair and have never suffered with greasy hair before since starting his diet!! Is this normal lol.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Can't say that I have. But then, I am bald as all hell. My ex-wife never seemed to have issues with it though, fwiw.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I cant say I have..in fact this week I just went 3 days without washing my hair for the first time, pretty much ever. I only washed it because I felt like I should, it still wasn't greasy! (sorry if that grosses anyone out)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Well I felt my hair was a little dry so yesterday after the shampoo and condition and blow dry, added a couple teaspoons ( guessing amount) of olive oil.
    Sometimes during the summer months hair will get oily, although I live in S Fla, even my skin seems less dry June-September.
    Switch out for a new brand of hair products, have been told to do that from time to time!
    GL
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I switched over to co-washing ala "wen" style for a bunch of reasons, but it helped with my random dryness/oiliness...
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss , I'm still jealous co-washing worked so well for you--it did NOT work for me. I gave it a good month or two and still had oil-slick problems.

@jameela798, Yeah, I have oily hair problems, but I don't know if they are due to dietary changes or not. I've always been a daily shampooer out of necessity, with the only exceptions being during two of my (four) pregnancies, at which point I could go 2-3 days between washes without a problem. I do think my skin is more oily too, but I'm not complaining--it keeps my skin protected from the elements and helps me stay looking young! :blush:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @DianaElena76 - If you were good during pregnancy, it sounds like yours is likely a hormonal imbalance thing. I know the fact that you carry weight on your hips suggests that, too. Have you ever had a panel worked up?
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nope, not that I know of... and I'm overdue for a doctor appointment anyway. Haven't seen a doc since my last postnatal visit, and baby is almost 2.... and yes, I know how bad that is....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Hey, as a fellow mom, though not to as many kiddos, I totally get not prioritizing yourself. You know you're doing great in so many aspects of your health, but yup, definitely time to get checked out again. Make a present to yourself by doing it sometime between now and your birthday or what-have-you. You can't be SuperMom, SuperWife, and SuperWoman without some help... LOL
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I used to wash only every other day, but I do find I am having to use dry shampoo in between now. I recently changed shampoo as well, so not sure. On the upside, my skin is looking great! <3
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my hair is less oily, but I've also been drinking more water. When my hair decides it's going to be greasy (like looks/feels gross in less than a day) I put lemon juice on my scale overnight and it clears up for a few weeks. I've heard of others using vinegar but I don't think I could handle that smell all night!
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My hair actually got less greasy eating LCHF. I stay to under 30 total carbs a day and drink lots of water(mostly as tea). Greasy hair was a problem for me, so the unexpected reversal was a great surprise!
  • jayne12469
    jayne12469 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I switched over to co-washing ala "wen" style for a bunch of reasons, but it helped with my random dryness/oiliness...

@KnitOrMiss what product(s) are you using? I received Wen as a gift, loved it, but I've heard so many reviews that Wen users were experiencing hair loss. I'd love to try a different product.
  • TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes ! I wasn't even able to go a full 24 hrs before my hair would look greasy. I've had to start only applying conditioner to the ends and it has helped a lot. It's still gets greasy but I'm getting 24-36hrs before needing to wash it.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Didn't notice a difference with LCHF. Dry hair then, dry now. I need to condition like crazy to avoid the flyaways. Suffer from dry skin too... Heck, I'm just dry.. LOL. >:)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen, there are two common causes -- hormones and external factors.

I can't say much in general for hormones, except that odds are pretty good LCHF will normalize most of them over the long term, as long as nothing is "broken" (ie - thyroid has gone off the deep end).

As for external factors, I've found commercial shampoos to be the worst culprit in hair and scalp issues in general (including dandruff that only sort of responded to the heavy duty medicated shampoos). Switching to homemade, real-soap based shampoo (or the "no-poo" method) has worked wonders across the board for people I know who have done it.

I'm personally a fan of this recipe -- http://wellnessmama.com/3701/homemade-shampoo/ (though it's since changed; it used to be 1/4 cup coconut milk to 1/3 cup soap; I still use that ratio instead of the new one, but it might be due to changes in the Dr. Bronner's soap formula). There are others out there worth trying, though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    jayne12469 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@KnitOrMiss what product(s) are you using? I received Wen as a gift, loved it, but I've heard so many reviews that Wen users were experiencing hair loss. I'd love to try a different product.

@jayne12469 Here are the blogs I did about it when I started. Basically, many conditioners will work, and I've not had issues of hair falling out, but I never used that expensive stuff, so I wouldn't know. I use the super cheapest stuff, Suave Naturals line... I have long hair, so I go through it too quickly to use the more expensive things like L'Oreal conditioning rinse or whatever they call it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/focus-self-care-762614

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/follow-up-on-focus-self-care-763469

The comments have many suggestions over the different types of conditioners to try...
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I cant say I have..in fact this week I just went 3 days without washing my hair for the first time, pretty much ever. I only washed it because I felt like I should, it still wasn't greasy! (sorry if that grosses anyone out)

This is also me right now. I have an oily scalp and very fine/little hair, and usually, it'd be so I'd have to shampoo at least every other day, or else I look like a swamp creature; and rarely using conditioner, but my hair has gotten stronger and thicker due to eating mostly whole food for the past couple years. Anyway, six weeks into keto, I've noticed that I actually haven't felt the need to wash my hair as often...even though it's summer, too.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've always had super greasy hair, but it's gotten much worse since I started eating low carb almost 7 weeks ago. I should really shampoo every day but it's just a waste of water if I'm not going out. Plus I'm lazy... LOL I'm assuming it has to do with having PCOS and my hormones being all out of whack... I'm hoping it calms down but if it doesn't I'll just have to get it coloured more frequently to dry it out or something... ohhhh... maybe a spiral perm would do the trick... haha
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @anewlifeat40 I agree that a perm does add texture and body which makes the hair fluffier and less prone to being slicked-out by the oils in our skin. I used to get a body wave regularly, but that was in the '90s, LOL. Seems like straight or only slightly wavy is the style for the past couple decades, at least.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't think mine has changed since going LCHF. It does get greasier at certain times of the month but that's it.

I usually wash every other day. I'm a SAHM so I get away with a scheduke that looks like:
    Day 1 - wash
    Day 2 - hat
    Day 3 - wash
    Day 4 - hat

When my hair is longer then I swap in "pony-tail". ;) I'm lazy about hair.