Up to ten miles

pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
Got my long Saturday run up to 10 miles today in 1:57+. An 11:40 average mile pace. Scheduled for a Half Marathon September 25. My longest run to date is this 10. Just thought I'd share. Thanks

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    you'll be more than ready for your HM in September if you're already able to go 10 miles. Awesome work!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Woop! I can remember the first time I ran 10 miles... best feeling in the world!
  • pondee629
    you'll be more than ready for your HM in September if you're already able to go 10 miles. Awesome work!

Longest I've ever run. Close to two hours. Hoping to get the half in under 2:30. Might be a pipe dream.
    Woop! I can remember the first time I ran 10 miles... best feeling in the world!

Felt good when it was over;-). The last two/three miles felt better than the middle three. Holding back the pace for the first three is also a challenge.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Great job! I hope to get to that point over the summer. Good luck with the rest of your training - sounds like you've definitely got this half!
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited June 2016
    @pondee629 11:37 is 2:30:00 HM pace you can totally do it!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Way to go! New PRs for distance are always an ego boost, and 10 miles seems to by psychologically big for a lot of people. It certainly was for me, the first time I manage to run 10 miles. (Then I wasn't confident I could run a half until after I put in a 13 mile training run, but that's a different psychological issue.)
  • pondee629
    I THINK I had another 3.1 Afte the ten. Not sure,yet, I can get a Half in under 2:30. But, the distance is coming;-)
  • MNLittleFinn
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I THINK I had another 3.1 Afte the ten. Not sure,yet, I can get a Half in under 2:30. But, the distance is coming;-)

You have a lot of time. If you keep improving, I think you'll be under 2:30:00 pace before the race, even a bunch under, with how much time you have.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Got my long Saturday run up to 10 miles today in 1:57+. An 11:40 average mile pace. Scheduled for a Half Marathon September 25. My longest run to date is this 10. Just thought I'd share. Thanks
    Awesome! I am sure you'll do fine! :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    When training for my first race in many, many years (a marathon), the 10-mile run and then the subsequent 12-mile run two weeks later were great. It was the 14-miler that really did me in and made me think twice about the marathon distance (I was struggling in the heat and humidity at mile 13). But two weeks later I made the jump to 17 without any real problems.

With the slow, gradual buildup in distance (with the summer acclimatization), you should do fine in September unless it is unbearably hot and humid. With the building of endurance comes some natural speed increase.
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    Way to go!!
  • pondee629
    Repeated the ten mile long run today. 10.11 miles in 1:55:11 a pace of 11:23/mile. Running at that pace is a little like drinking beer one shot a minute. Easy at first...then...not so much ;- )
  • MNLittleFinn
    You totally got this!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    That's awesome! I can remember my first ever 10 miles so distinctly - funny how that milestone is significant to so many of us.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Awesome! I ran one 10-mile run before my first half. Took about 2 hours (12-minute mile). I was also hoping for under 2:30 for the half, and came in at 2:21. Your prep and the race atmosphere will take you the extra 5k!