Longest state of ketosis?

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    I'm losing and that is more of an answer, more of a result isn't necessary.... No longer am I eating ice cream, dinner rolls, fried rice, cookies etc-so the exact number 50 grams , 30 grams there is no way for me to know.
    The best part is the reduced pain from arthritis.

Absolutely. Stuff like the above link is more for people getting extremely in-depth with things, as I am wont to do. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the relative lack of understanding that the "everyman" has for how it all works, and how much variation is permissible, without getting ill effect. Granted, we all have to find our own line, and I tend to play on the safer side of things, but after reading his stuff, I can't help but wonder if all of the people that we hear from, who's "keto flu" never seems to go away, if they aren't eating juuuust enough carbs to keep themselves from ever properly adapting, even though they may be below the normal recommended maximum.

That or they never increase salt... Or both.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm losing and that is more of an answer, more of a result isn't necessary.... No longer am I eating ice cream, dinner rolls, fried rice, cookies etc-so the exact number 50 grams , 30 grams there is no way for me to know.

Absolutely. Stuff like the above link is more for people getting extremely in-depth with things, as I am wont to do. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the relative lack of understanding that the "everyman" has for how it all works, and how much variation is permissible, without getting ill effect. Granted, we all have to find our own line, and I tend to play on the safer side of things, but after reading his stuff, I can't help but wonder if all of the people that we hear from, who's "keto flu" never seems to go away, if they aren't eating juuuust enough carbs to keep themselves from ever properly adapting, even though they may be below the normal recommended maximum.

That's what I tend to think too. And the sodium like @nvmomketo said. Yeah, someone might be salting everything and even drink a cup of boullion, but that may simply still not be enough for that person. Some just can't wrap their minds around the water/sodium balance.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

That's what I tend to think too. And the sodium like @nvmomketo said. Yeah, someone might be salting everything and even drink a cup of boullion, but that may simply still not be enough for that person. Some just can't wrap their minds around the water/sodium balance.

I do find that strange, given that the whole crusade against sodium has been mostly a propaganda campaign. The exact same thing happened to fat intake for decades. If they can wrap their minds around high fat, I can't quite understand why sodium would be such a leap.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I do find that strange, given that the whole crusade against sodium has been mostly a propaganda campaign. The exact same thing happened to fat intake for decades. If they can wrap their minds around high fat, I can't quite understand why sodium would be such a leap.

I did that. I had low electrolytes for a few weeks and started getting middle of the night muscle cramps before I would accept that I needed more sodium. Dumb me. Now I salt everything including water and coffee. It all tastes better with salt now. Before? I rarely salted anything.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I was actually much the same. It's interesting how my taste for it has changed. I used to avoid salt like the plague, not for "health" reasons, but because I just didn't like it. Two weeks into peeing like a racehorse though, and I haven't been able to get enough of it since. I've even started opting for the saltiest jerky I can get my hands on, which I used to have to soak in water for five minutes before I could eat.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Yep. I even have different salts for different foods now. LOL
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I know this question had probably been answered before but when in ketosis are you super extra thristy? being diabetic being thirsty all the time is a sign of high blood sugar so I freak out a bit but I test my sugar a feel nd it's fine. Also I've noticed that I'm getting slight toe cramps which incidentally is another diabetic sign but could also be ketosis.I don't feel comfortable asking my doctor, I don't think she would understand this whole LCHF anyways. What do y'all think?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    @genmon00 I've never experienced extra thirst but I salt my water and coffee now so that might help with keeping me hydrated.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Dr. Phinney is at 7+ years, IIRC from his videos.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I know this question had probably been answered before but when in ketosis are you super extra thristy? being diabetic being thirsty all the time is a sign of high blood sugar so I freak out a bit but I test my sugar a feel nd it's fine. Also I've noticed that I'm getting slight toe cramps which incidentally is another diabetic sign but could also be ketosis.I don't feel comfortable asking my doctor, I don't think she would understand this whole LCHF anyways. What do y'all think?

The thirst and the cramps are both a symptom of low sodium/electrolytes. You're body isn't able to retain the water you're drinking because your sodium is too low and you can't quench the thirst because the water just goes back out as fast as it's going in. This also takes electrolytes with it, actually making the problem progressively worse day by day.
    Until you get your electrolytes back up, starting with sodium to allow your body to hold onto some of that water you're drinking, it will just get worse and worse.
    Are you taking any magnesium and using a Salt substitute to get potassium? At this point, you're probably quite deficient on both of those as well.
    Luckily, the sodium can be corrected very fast. Try to get 5000mg of sodium today and I bet you'll stop being so thirsty and the cramps should stop. If not, then magnesium will be the answer to the cramping. But, honestly, you're going to need the magnesium anyway.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    ok thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ ! I'm going out to get a mag supplement and bouillon cubes today
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Good question!

Yes, you can get mighty thirsty in ketosis, even as a T2D with your BG under control.

Since you are probably losing water, as most of us do, especially at the start of eating LC, it's important to stay hydrated and replace your electrolytes, especially sodium but also potassium (both of which you can get tested cheaply, even on your own dime).

You can always ask your doc, with a totally innocent expression, "What do you think of LCHF/ketogenic/paleo diets?" and see what comes back. (Let us know, eh?)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Yep. I even have different salts for different foods now. LOL

It's an awesome world of salt; Kosher...Pink Himalayan, Black ......and used almost none b4.

It probably helps if you always loved pickles, boullion ---- not that I ate them regularly but did enjoy .....our Newbies have to trust that they can safely increase salt as said by @Gallowmere1984.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    Dr. Phinney is at 7+ years, IIRC from his videos.

Let's see if he can beat The Bear's run of nearly 50 years. I'm waiting for this to become something people are interested enough in, to compile and maintain a running timeline.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    ok thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ ! I'm going out to get a mag supplement and bouillon cubes today

Make sure you read about the different forms of magnesium in the launch pad. It's in the electrolytes post I think.
    They are not all the same. And most easily available at the store aren't worth wasting your time with.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Make sure you read about the different forms of magnesium in the launch pad. It's in the electrolytes post I think.
    They are not all the same. And most easily available at the store aren't worth wasting your time with.

Bingo.

While listening recently to Dr. Rhonda Patrick discuss the widespread deficiencies of Vitamin D and magnesium in the US population, I was surprised to hear her recommend Magnesium Citrate for bioavailability. (No specifics beyond that..)

Phinney recommends the generic form of Slow Mag, which contains Magnesium Chloride, and to space the tablets throughout the day.

Good idea to visit labdoor.com for reviews of some individual brands.