Austrian Study on Carnivores vs. Vegetarians

Options
MyriiStorm
MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/vegetarians-are-less-healthy-and-have-a-lower-quality-of-life-than-meat-eaters-scientists-say-9236340.html
It concluded: “Our study has shown that Austrian adults who consume a vegetarian diet are less healthy (in terms of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), have a lower quality of life, and also require more medical treatment.”

Does it seem like more of the scientific community is coming around to this way of thinking? Or is it just that I'm noticing it more?

Replies

• tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Although I don't adhere 100% to paleo at all times it's what started me on the road to recovering my health. Almost all scientist agree that we could not have developed the brains we now have without meat. So that tells me meat is an optimum source for optimum health. That's all I really need to know.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I dislike when they call eating meat and plant matter as carnivorous. Wouldn't that be a Omnivorous diet? It just seems misleading...

Interesting article though. Thanks for posting. :)
    c3gnpijhphdf.jpg

>:) or o:)
    :D LOL
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @MyriiStorm it may be a lack of balance of diet at play. If one does not eat any meat protein in the macro may be hard to fill and visa verse. Limiting any whole food options can get dicey when it comes to have the best health unless that food causes negative reactions.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @Riche120 you are proof most any Way Of Eating can be done well but it is a lot of hard work. It was only when I was going down for the last time at age 63 did I put forth the effort to learn to eat in a way to start regaining my health by eating what that works best in my case. Now at 65 my health is better then when I was 45 but it was a steep learning curve.

Last night at Captain's D I ran into an employee who had to stop eating meat because of horrible stomach aches.

Thanks for sharing your encouraging success story.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    As I've shared before, my son and his wife are vegan. My daughter-in-law just told me this afternoon that she is going to try the LCHF WOE and still maintain the vegan WOE. I'm eager to see how she does it, and hoping for the best for her.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    One thing I will note, I used to be on a daily allergy medicine (seasonal type allergies) and even that wasn't always able to alleviate all of my symptoms. After many months of no plants at all, I was completely off my allergy meds and had no symptoms at all. Those symptoms have not returned as long as I stay away from plant foods. I am not the only carnivore that I know of who has completely lost their allergies by eating this way.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian - vegan and macrobiotic at times - since my teens. It is VERY easy to eat poorly as a vegetarian (I see that now!). All those carbs almost inevitably lead to a sweet tooth and to a growing intake of sugar in all its forms (even when people avoid the white powder). Fruit and bread are the easiest snacks there is and they're available everywhere.

It took me becoming morbidly obese, T2D, B12 and D deficient and a lot of other problems to change my diet. I have a family history of metabolic problems, I see now that being a vegetarian was the worst I could do for my health short of eating junk food. I weep for all that I missed due to being so fat. It's probably possible to be healthy eating a vegetarian diet, maybe. I don't know and I don't care, I'll never go back.

::flowerforyou::
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    As I've shared before, my son and his wife are vegan. My daughter-in-law just told me this afternoon that she is going to try the LCHF WOE and still maintain the vegan WOE. I'm eager to see how she does it, and hoping for the best for her.

Judging by the things I've seen from the vegetarians here who have tried vegan LCHF, she's in for a rough time, especially if she tries to do really low. Her odds are best somewhere in the 100g carbs range. As it stands, she'll end up living largely on coconut, olive, and avocado in order to get her fat needs. Nuts are a decent source of fat, but can also blow through your carb count if you're not careful.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I dislike when they call eating meat and plant matter as carnivorous. Wouldn't that be a Omnivorous diet? It just seems misleading...

Ugh, I detest people calling eating meat and plants "carnivorous." No. No, it's not. It's omnivorous. Carnivorous is meat to near exclusivity.

By their own logic, eating plants at all would mean they're herbivorous (read: vegetarian).
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Once I grasped the understanding that food of any type is mainly just stored sunlight I realized all food sources are not that much different in original source. People that want to limit any food source are free to do so. As the years past I find myself eating in more simple ways and less red meat than ever due to science showing diets heavy in red meats may be associated with premature deaths.