16:8 or 18:6

Options
cdebracy
cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
Last fall I managed to break two ribs, one on each side, and subsequently found myself snacking late at night before sleep. I'm still having issues with that at times and while I had switched over to try 3x2 during the week, the late night binges are killing me.

So I'm thinking of 16:8 or 18:6 and wondering if anyone has personal experience doing one over the other. Overall, I can't complain too much as I've dropped about 13 lbs since I started IF in some form or another. The Leangains 16:8 has some attraction, but was trying to maximize the benefit of fasting for 24 hours, but just not getting there consistently.

Replies

• maezombiegirl
    maezombiegirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started with 16:8 for one week and have switched over to 18:6. I am down 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I am having a hard time hitting my macros, and one day last week I did not get 1000 cals in so MFP gave me a lecture lol. So now I am cheating, in that I live in BC, in the interior and it is cherry season and I am going to eat cherries while they are in season, but even doing so I still weigh myself daily and I am losing. I believe that for our health we should be eating seasonal foods while they are available to us, because when winter comes it will be pretty much frozen veg and berries. I feel amazing and IF is simplifying my life.
  • cdebracy
    Options
    It is nice to not have to worry about food during fasting days. I've managed a couple of 24 hour fasts and one 36 hour fast so far. Yes, it is interesting to see MFP refuse to log calories when you eat too little.
  • WassupWitAli
    WassupWitAli Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had success with 16:8 in the past & found it very easy to maintain. I didn't stick with it so I'm starting IF & Low-Carb this week & hoping to see good results! I may try 18:6 just to see if there is a big difference for me.
  • cdebracy
    Options
    I've managed some 24 and 36 hour fasts - I'm trying to listen to my body while I figure out some insomnia issues.

Today I was shooting for 32 hours or so, but may have to cave before 24. I'm putting on some muscle so there's hunger pangs I can ignore and then there's hunger pangs that will not let me sleep. :smiley:

Trying to stay in ketosis to help with carb cravings, though my insomnia issues probably aren't low-carb related. My first 40 lbs lost was in trace ketosis and I didn't have sleep issues.