Day 1 Setback

Options
neweuquol
neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
It's time to make dinner so I went into the kitchen to make my mustard and sage glazed baked chicken thighs and what do I find:

1. My family cooking a Digirnos pizza; and
2. Despite having several hours to defrost, my chicken thighs are still frozen solid.

Now I sit in my room until I figure out what to eat because I know it will suggested I eat a garbage pizza.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What meats, cheeses and veggies do you have on hand?
    How about scrambled eggs with butter and cheese? Have any sausage or bacon or ground beef? Throw that in and add a little taco seasoning for a good filling meal.

Are you used to making quick dinners usually? The one you planned seems like it may have been more complicated than you're used to do it didn't work out?
  • neweuquol
    Options
    I cooked what I planned a few times. I didn't plan for the chicken to not defrost.

I'm being saved by a can of salmon I have. Making "salmon cakes"
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    oh I hate when that happens! I've learned to have back up food since I get home after my hubby and he usually picks up pizza or nuggets for the kids and the dinner I planned goes out the window since why cook a big meal just for me? lol so egg omelets are my go to dinners or I cook up a sausage/hot dog in my countertop oven and call it a day lol
  • neweuquol
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I was going to suggest a can of tuna with mayo, celery and avocado. Salmon cakes is a good choice.

YEAH to you for not choosing pizza!!! The first few days are by far the hardest (IMO). Look at you already doing it right. :)

I ate my 3 meals today and I am busting at the seams. I do not understand how people can eat 5000 calories in a day and not explode.

I am not even close to my macros and since I am definitely not in the market to lose weight (5'10, 135# male) I need to tweak this more.

Today was 1236 calories, 88 grams fat (69%), 74 grams protein (26%), 13 grams of Carbs (5%). I need to figure out how to get in fat without raising the protein with it also.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Why are you limiting protein. You may not need to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    neweuquol wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I was going to suggest a can of tuna with mayo, celery and avocado. Salmon cakes is a good choice.

YEAH to you for not choosing pizza!!! The first few days are by far the hardest (IMO). Look at you already doing it right. :)

I ate my 3 meals today and I am busting at the seams. I do not understand how people can eat 5000 calories in a day and not explode.

I am not even close to my macros and since I am definitely not in the market to lose weight (5'10, 135# male) I need to tweak this more.

Today was 1236 calories, 88 grams fat (69%), 74 grams protein (26%), 13 grams of Carbs (5%). I need to figure out how to get in fat without raising the protein with it also.

Fat bombs are a tasty way to get in fat. I make mine with 1 c coconut oil (melted), a dropper of stevia, some vanilla or maybe peppermint, 3Tbs cocoa, and maybe 1/2c peanut butter. I divide it by tablespoons into ice cube trays and freeze it.

Extra fat in coffee, extra full fat alad dressing, eggs cooked in a lot of bacon grease, or a couple of extra strips of bacon, and cheese on everything - all ways to add fat. Avoiding lean meats helps. If you get stuck withlean meats add mayo, butter, cheese or other fats.

And someone had a recipe for keto pizza. I think it was pepperonis overlapping on some parchment paper with a bit of tomato sauce and then lots of shredded cheese. I think they baked it or nuked it.

Others just take the toppings off the pizza and toss the crust. ;) You'll get the hang of it soon.

And as SunnyBunny mentioned, unless you'll benefit from low protein, don't worry about limiting it. Is a lower protein intake more likely to help with your health?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I am doing this for cancer treatment/recovery. I am worried about excess protein being converted to glucose. Trying to starve cancer cells by severely limiting glucose.

That makes sense.
    Many of us drink what is most commonly called bulletproof coffee as a way to get more calories from fat.
    The basic actual bulletproof coffee recipe is adding 1Tbs coconut or MCT oil and 1Tbs grassfed butter. And that's it. Many people will do one or both of those ingredients plus add heavy whipping cream and maybe a sweetener or a dash of salt depending on your taste.
    I usually make mine with MCT oil, butter and a dash of pink salt. Sometimes I add coconut milk or coconut cream. I prefer those to dairy cream because of taste. They all taste good, I just like them better. That's my breakfast. I've never been a breakfast person. You might be able to add that to breakfast and lunch to bump your fat calories up and maybe not have such a heavy gut feeling.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I am doing this for cancer treatment/recovery. I am worried about excess protein being converted to glucose. Trying to starve cancer cells by severely limiting glucose.

You'll be interested in Andrew Scarborough's blog, then -- http://mybraincancerstory.blogspot.com/

He's successfully healed terminal brain cancer (like...even the scars are healing) with a zero carb, restricted protein, carnivorous diet and supplementation therapy as a way of addressing his cancer as a metabolic condition. Suffice to say, he's come up with some creative ways to get fat and nutrients in without blowing through his protein limit. :)

Here's the rundown of his story -- https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/05/31/healing-brain-cancer-with-a-zero-carb-ketogenic-diet-by-andrew-scarborough/
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

@neweuquol & @dragonwolf - I know there are cautions for diabetics about excess protein converting to glucose. (On the basis of crude self-experimentation... yep.) But does the same hold true for non-diabetics? Any idea how the glucose production curves compare?

Thanks for posting - Launch Pad material?
    (The go-to ways to combat diet wrecks is also of lasting interest.)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

@neweuquol & @dragonwolf - I know there are cautions for diabetics about excess protein converting to glucose. (On the basis of crude self-experimentation... yep.) But does the same hold true for non-diabetics? Any idea how the glucose production curves compare?

Thanks for posting - Launch Pad material?
    (The go-to ways to combat diet wrecks is also of lasting interest.)

It's the fact that it's demand driven. So, the cancer cells seeking sugar could create a demand.
  • neweuquol
    Options
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the human body can easily turn excess sugar into fat but the opposite is not true. The body cannot turn fat into sugar as far as I know.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    That is correct, fat cannot be converted to glucose.

My mother successfully beat bladder cancer using the same diet strategy. Good luck!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    What happens when people lose fat on non-ketogenic diets?
  • neweuquol
    Options
    What happens when people lose fat on non-ketogenic diets?

I lost quite a bit of weight on a Paleo diet. My carbs were mostly root vegetables like sweet potato and korean daikon and then the minimal carbs from greens and broccoli. I lost about 22 pounds in 3 months. I do not know the mechanism but I am guessing my body stopped producing insulin from all the garbage I was eating and my body started using my BF for energy because I simply stopped gorging myself on snacks and only ate my 3 meals per day.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Hmm. If you're not in ketosis, and you don’t convert BF to glucose... then how are you burning it?
  • neweuquol
    Options
    Hmm. If you're not in ketosis, and you don’t convert BF to glucose... then how are you burning it?

When I was on Paleo, I have to assume less calories.
  • neweuquol
    Options
    That is correct, fat cannot be converted to glucose.

My mother successfully beat bladder cancer using the same diet strategy. Good luck!

Thank you. I have heard numerous stories of people having success with keto.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Good catch, that was an overly simplistic post to ally neweuquol's concerns. To clarify, triglycerides get broken down into fatty acids, which cannot be converted to glucose, and glycerol which can be converted into glucose in the liver.

The glucose provided by the liver will not present an obstacle to your cancer treatment protocol.