Candida, mold exposure, Sinus problems, leaky gut, experiences or wisdom?

Options
deksgrl
deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
I have been on and off the LCHF wagon again lately, carb creep.

About a month ago I came down with what I thought was a raging sinus infection, kind of out of nowhere. Terrible tight throat (but not sore), post sinus drip that was just clogging my throat and making me cough and the phlegm would not come up, lost my voice for a couple of days. After 7 days, I went to the doctor who said it was not a sinus infection, not bronchitis or anything in my chest, he gave me sinus medicine (a steroid spray and zyrtec) and sent me on my way. I used that a couple of days and it sort of helped but I hate taking medicine so stopped taking it and I felt a bit better, that was like on a Saturday. On the Sunday it got hot outside again and we were running the window air conditioner that had been stored in the basement. We sat watching a movie that Sunday night and my sinuses and throat got all tight and full again and the light came on in my head that when the sickness started, it corresponded when we got the air conditioners out and started running them. Sooo, I was wondering if I developed an allergy to mold, or something that was stuck in the A/C.

Meantime, I also started getting back an itching on the front of my groin that I had back after Christmas after sugar binging, certain it was candida and I effectively treated that with apple cider vinegar. Also the end of last week I have a couple of spots of hives (one on the front of my neck that looks like a hickey). I started researching and see a lot of information about sinus infections a majority of the time being fungal, not bacterial or viral. So, I started drinking the ACV and I am feeling better (and also applying it topically to the groin and the hives).

I'm pretty certain that this will help, and also considering probiotics. Do any of you also do probiotics, or have you found that ACV and other fermented products have done the job?

Also was reading about leaky gut. My son has been ill a lot. He had H-pylori infection and was given strong antibiotics earlier in the year. After, he still didn't feel 100%. He went back to get tested to make sure the H-pylori was knocked out and it is no longer an issue, but he still is troubled by excess gas and digestive problems. They are telling him to keep taking antacid meds and to begin probiotics. I am wondering if he should do ACV and probiotics and forget the antacids, and cut carbs & sugar?

Replies

• Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree, the antacids might be making it worse. They did for me. My nutritionist figured out that I had low stomach acid and suggested ACV and/or digestive enzymes. I take a product called Zypan. (I can't get used to the taste of the ACV.) It's been a huge help with stomach pain!

I would be suspicious about the a/c being the cause of your issues too. It can probably be cleaned well with bleach, but the owner's manual or manufacturer might have some good recommendations.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @deksgrl - Maybe a hydrogen breath test for SIBO for your son?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    We did clean the air conditioners after I suspected that was the problem and it helped some but didn't completely eliminate my symptoms. The ACV does seem to be helping further though and I hope soon will completely clear me up.

I did tell my son yesterday to stop the antacids and start ACV. He has been on probiotics for almost a week now and I asked if he felt any better and he said he is "going better".

@RalfLott - hopefully if these measures we are taking helps, he won't need more testing.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    That's great! Score 1 for Mom.

If your son can tolerate salads, mixing it with oil and spices in dressing is my preferred instrument for getting it down, but there may be better ways....

Keep us posted!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    He will eat salads occasionally, but it's not an every day thing. I will suggest that to him though and see if he likes that idea better than drinking it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @deksgrl

My doctor takes the ACV pills herself, and I've moved on to take the pills myself, per her recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000POWGBC

This is the one I take. I take it one ACV pill and one super enzyme pill with each meal. These are the ones I use for that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001T0GAE

I can tell within minutes if I don't have these with each meal. One each. :)

Taking pills might be easier to "swallow" so to speak, than the liquid... Just make sure you get one that has a high enough Acetic Acid and verified legitimate content... Some are total bunk.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @deksgrl -

Anything's got to be better than taking it straight - even mixing it with cod liver oil! (Or maybe mixing it with anything palatable and diluting it a bit.)
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I mix it with a big glass of water and a packet of sugar substitute, to me it is like a wine spritzer.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would use MesoSilver topically and internally as well as cutting out all sugar and adding in probiotic foods.

For leaky gut I would cut all sugar and wheat, add in probiotic foods, and add in a hydrated bentonite (way more effective than antacids and doesn't leach calcium).
  • RalfLott
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I mix it with a big glass of water and a packet of sugar substitute, to me it is like a wine spritzer.

Quick tip - unlike the powdered versions, the liquid sweeteners (like the stevia - erythritol blends) generally don't have sugarlike additives (like dextrose and maltodextrin). Who'd'a think it?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @deksgrl - And updates for us on your son??