Sugar for breakfast

Options
Tara4boys
Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
I know I'm "preaching to the choir" but wow this visual was really eye opening!

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/11/12128372/sugar-cereal-breakfast-nutrition-facts

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Shared to my FB, for my in-laws, who think waffles with syrup are an acceptable everyday breakfast for my kids. :disappointed:
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    :sweat: **pukes**
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I LOVED the tweet at the beginning of the article!!!
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I skipped the granola and actually had Oreos for breakfast this morning. I really need to get the sugar dragon under control and train myself from a sweet to a savory girl.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Before I turned to keto I sometimes ate leftover steak or chicken for breakfast and you could practically see the question marks hovering over people's heads. Lol. And I'd think "how is this worse than donuts or muffins??"
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Similarly, some yogurts are far healthier than others. I’ve written about Siggi’s, an Icelandic yogurt that was created in response to the overly sweet options on offer in US supermarkets. Every serving has about 100 calories and 25 to 50 percent less sugar than mainstream brands.

Siggi's still has 8-11g in it's flavored ones, which is still better than the 30 some-odd in conventional yogurt.

B'more Organic's Skyr has 6g across the board, as it's sweetened with stevia.

I suspect for both of them, the 4-6g that even their plain has comes from the milk, itself, which may or may not have been consumed by the cultures.

If you haven't tried Skyr yet, I highly recommend it. It's awesome. I especially love B'more's Skyr, which is drinkable, like kefir, and add some heavy cream to it to up the fat content. My favorite is the vanilla, and it's heavenly, especially with the cream.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Lol about the Japanese breakfast... most younger people here don't eat that anymore, as toast and cereals are being pushed more.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Not that the typical UK breakfast is any better, but fish was (and still is for some) a popular breakfast staple with smoked haddock, smoked salmon, herring and mackerel often featured on the morning menu.

I love scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, avocado, and chives... it works for breakfast, lunch or dinner :)
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing this article! I'm just getting started with cutting out carbs / sugar. It's disgusting what is pushed on the public as normal and nurturing.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It's a fair amount of work (well, not "work" so much as "paying attention for rather a long time") but making your own yogurt is a worthwhile effort. I make my own in a Eurocuisine yogurt maker and then drain it for Greek style. For digestive health reasons, I ferment it for 24 hours instead of the normal eight but that's not a must for everyone. I flavor it with honey for my husband, who claims his digestive tract is 20 years younger than when we started. I sprinkle in a little Stevia for myself. You do have to use a cup of commercial yogurt as a starter but I buy the Dannon natural, which has the fewest strange sounding ingredients.

I have read online that yogurt because of its fermented nature actually has fewer carb grams than what the commercial brands show on their labels.

We eat so much of this that I pretty much have a batch underway four times a week. Good stuff.

And, agreed: IHOP should by law have a skull and crossbones poison symbol posted on their front doors.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I remember as a kid I'd spent some of my summer at my grandma's and my favorite breakfast there was Sugar Smacks (before they changed the name to Honey Smacks because honey=healthy, lol). My grandma used to literally pour about a 1/4 cup of sugar over top of my cereal that had sugar in the title so my favorite part was the end when it was all milk syrup! Horrible! So horrible!

It's just sad that today people are probably eating just as much sugar for breakfast under the guise of "whole grain muffins" or some such and think it's healthy!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I remember as a kid I'd spent some of my summer at my grandma's and my favorite breakfast there was Sugar Smacks (before they changed the name to Honey Smacks because honey=healthy, lol). My grandma used to literally pour about a 1/4 cup of sugar over top of my cereal that had sugar in the title so my favorite part was the end when it was all milk syrup! Horrible! So horrible!

It's just sad that today people are probably eating just as much sugar for breakfast under the guise of "whole grain muffins" or some such and think it's healthy!

Eeew! Even the thought of "milk syrup" is making me gag. While I would put sugar on stuff like plain Cheerios or Chex, it was never that much, and the pre-sweetened were sweet enough.

Of course, I was the weirdo that just as soon dove after Grape Nuts (heated, with honey) or Bran Flakes (not Raisin Bran) as I would the sugary cereals.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf - my dad's dad got me hooked on Bran Flakes with Half and Half instead of milk...and my mom's dad got me hooked on Grape Nuts, also with Half and Half, ironically... No honey, but sometimes a half spoon of sugar, but that was way rare. I remember always thinking it was funny how sweet Grape Nuts tasted to me! I never liked it hot, but I let it sit to soften a little... I wonder if it was the not so much sugar and more fat that helped us all enjoy breakfast and get through several hours of work (we spent the summers helping in the Grandparents' grocery store) before needing further sustenance! Interesting to look back, as I'd forgotten that... Was mostly pre-puberty for me, so that could have been in the early stages of my IR...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks to Craig over at ruled, I make my own cereal now...with pork rinds. :dizzy:
    http://www.ruled.me/salted-caramel-pork-rind-cereal/
    I'll chop up some walnuts to toss on top if I need a little more fat as well. And I use unsweetened almond milk, instead of coconut milk.
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Eeew! Even the thought of "milk syrup" is making me gag. While I would put sugar on stuff like plain Cheerios or Chex, it was never that much, and the pre-sweetened were sweet enough.

Of course, I was the weirdo that just as soon dove after Grape Nuts (heated, with honey) or Bran Flakes (not Raisin Bran) as I would the sugary cereals.

I was always a fan of the more plain cereals myself, as a kid. I've only ever met one child who dislikes sugar as much as I did when I was young. Fortunately, he's my long-time friend's nine-year old, who also happens to be extremely interested in weight training. I think he and I are going to get along just fine. Plus, he loves all of the keto dinners I've made so far. xD
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »

Oh yeah... For me it was Count Chocula. It made chocolate milk... out of the powdered skim milk I poured over it. *shudder*
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    So crazy but true!
    I need to do better w/my boys' breakfasts. Normally I try to have them stick to more low-sugar cereals plus some protein/fat, but we've been on a toaster waffle kick recently since they're so easy and something they can make for themselves.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, my mom would go on random health kicks. She'd buy things like puffed millet from the health food store. Blech. When she did buy sugar cereals (like honey nut cheerios and, rarely, Cinnamon Toast Crunch) we had to mix them half and half with plainer cereals, e.g. plain Cheerios. No adding sugar except maybe to puffed millet.

Also grew up on whole wheat bread, which I appreciated (white bread is like styrofoam to me, with a few exceptions like garlic bread), but then she'd do things like give us carob bunnies instead of chocolate for Easter. Blech!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    One of the most awesome things about getting a job and moving out of the house when I was a teenager was getting to buy my own breakfast food and starting my day with eggs and bacon, which I continue to do today (without the toast now).

I love sugar (in an addictive way, not in a positive way lol), but I could never cope with the idea of eating sugar for breakfast, so I always skipped it, which resulted in extreme mid-morning hunger in school and subsequent binging on junk food at the snack bar (bean burritos were my fav, carbs on carbs, almost as bad as sugary cereal).

I never wonder why I have such an unhealthy relationship with food, I have so many memories of bad habits being created in my youth.