Reflecting back.... what changes would you have made before pregnancy?

Options
wearmi1
wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
Good morning ladies, my husband and I are trying to get pregnant. Do you have any reflections back to before you got pregnant of things you would have changed to prepare you better for pregnancy now that you are?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in reading this thread. I am also TTC right now.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    For me, I have PCOS & it took us nearly 6 years to conceive. Granted...I was only diagnosed w/ PCOS within this past year by a doctor who actually took the time to look at me as a patient & my medical history, instead of wanting to instantly recommend fertility treatments or the generic "lose weight, relax, it will happen" that some doctors focused on. It turns out the key to unlocking my fertility was a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet paired with max doses of Metformin.

It would have been really helpful to have known that at least 5 years ago :smile: ...I would have started that diet a LOT earlier.

Other than that, I'm thankful I was really active (>10k steps of walking a day, plus exercising/strength training most days of the week), pre-pregnancy...because I think it has made the process easier for me. Even though my energy tanked & I don't workout nearly as much as I used to while pregnant (but I also fight anemia).
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was lucky because we never struggled. First one took me 5 months to conceive, but I was kinda hoping at the time I'd turn out infertile, because I wasn't 100% sold on having kids. It was a deal breaker for hubs not to, so I told him I'd give it a go since he is totally worth kids. As soon as I thought maybe it wasn't going to happen, BAM. Knocked up. lol

With the 2nd I was ready for another baby...it's funny how our minds change. I took on the first try after stopping BC.

With this one, we decided to let nature take it's course. In fact, I was going to go back on birth control since we were feeling like maybe it wasn't meant to be after 8-9 months and maybe we were happy with two. But...I never got my period, so...

My biggest piece of advise is to ENJOY TRYING. For real, because once you have a baby or two at home your opportunities for the magic are diminished. Start taking a prenatal while trying, but other than that live your life. Go out for drinks. Have a good time. Re-connect with your partner. I think stress can really impact someone's ability to conceive. Of course, my advice only applies to someone that doesn't have a pre-existing condition like PCOS.
  • wearmi1
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, just wondered what pearls of wisdom the ladies of this group might have. I'm currently using the Clear Blue Easy electronic fertility monitor to track precisely when I'm ovulating and hoping that helps us get pregnant sooner. I'm 34 and feel old for just now trying to have my first child.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Don't feel old. I had my first at 32, my 2nd at 34, and I'll deliver my 3rd after I turn 38 this year. I'm glad I waited. I didn't even get married until 30. My 20s were awesome. I did what I wanted and learned to be self sufficient. By the time hubs and I met we were both in financially good places and could be true partners to each other. I was way to neurotic in my 20s to be anyone's partner, let alone their mom.
  • bestmeicanbe1
    bestmeicanbe1 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This pregnancy is going great for me. I've never had a bad pregnancy however I feel so good this time. I'm very active and exercise everyday. I drink a lot of water and have had no swelling or anything. I'm 26 weeks and gained 6 lbs so far. It seems everyone I talk to about just being active and eating healthy say I shouldn't be, I should enjoy being able to get away with being lazy and eating junk and gaining weight (crazy I know) but I completely ignore them.
    So my advice would just be to stay active, even if you have morning sickness fight through it and move a little atleast. Eat as healthy as possible, drink a ton of water and lotion daily. (I have stretch marks every where from my first and 2nd pregnancy not only my tummy so lotion is my best friend this time around)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Just wish I had got more stuff done, like mundane chores, home repairs, paperwork and such that I put off.
    It's easier to put that stuff off when there's not much going on, but now it's like I'm burning the midnight oil on thisstupid BS that should have been taken care of already if I had had my act together.

So that's what I'd change, so my pregnancy would be all about baby prepping and less about catching up on life's responsibilities and lame chores.
  • Ncm2011
    Ncm2011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I learnt it the hard way in my previous 2 pregnancies. The first I was excited of being pregnant and went all out with eating whatever I wanted in the name of cravings and being lazy letting hubby pamper me. This ended into un explained still birth after c section. The second I was scared to exercise with the fear of losing my baby. I had a healthy boy at 38wks through C section. The problem with both I was put on medication for high blood pressure. I embarked on a lifestyle change after I lost my mum to type 2 diabetes which they attributed to uncontrolled high blood pressure and being overweight/inactive. It took me 2yrs to lose 80lbs to get to 200 and promised myself we'll would live healthy as a family. This pregnancy has been the most exciting, I exercise as much I can and eat healthy. No medication for blood pressure and my sugars are normal. I feel lighter.

Like Bestmeicanbe1 said, keep active in the first trimester as much as you can. I have gained 29lbs at 29wks (20 of which was in the first trimester), I craved carbs in the first trimester and was too lazy to exercise. As little a 10mins is better than nothing and drink tons of water. Do not deprive yourself but make healthier options.
  • wearmi1
    Options
    Thanks ladies all excellent bits of insight!