Anybody here jump rope?

Options
gypsy8080
gypsy8080 Posts: 25 Member
I've been looking for a fun way to increase my exercise, particularly cardio. I already have about ten strength-training videos I cycle through each week; but aside from walking, I hate cardio. I recently started reading about jumping rope, and decided to give it a try. I bought a rope over the weekend.

It's shocking how old and out-of-shape this makes me feel. I'm 36 and about 75 pounds overweight, and I feel every one of these jumps. I finally got myself up to ten rotations before I trip over the rope, and it took me all weekend to get there. And I'm ready to keel over at the end of each set. I see a lot of people on YouTube who can do it for TEN MINUTES straight every morning, and it astounds me.

Anyway, I'm one of those people who hates being told I can't do something. I have today off, so I practiced some more and got up to fifteen before I flub. I'm concentrating on proper form and just getting my feet over the rope each time. Does anyone else jump rope? Anyone want to be my jumping buddy or just give each other tips?

Replies

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I need to get one and start. It's great cardio and my 9 year old and I could do it together! I have a hard time getting motivated to exercise but this would be kinda fun :smiley:
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'll do it with you. What are you thinking? How would it work?
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It might be fun. Did you get a weighted rope?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    75lbs overweight + jump rope seems like a recipe for ankle, knee, and hip misery. Maybe a mini trampoline instead?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @kirkor - that was very much my thought. I injured my knee while starting a jogging program while still to heavy for it. I'm now pretty much permanently excluded from jogging or running as exercise or a leisure activity for this reason, some food issues, and a complicating female issue... I can't do any sort of jumping stuff...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It is *hard* even when not many pounds overweight. I tried incorporating it into my routine, but it is just too strenuous for me. I need something that I will stick with.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I rebound on a mini trampoline. :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I rebound on a mini trampoline. :)

I have one too and I sometimes use it not really for exercise purposes...really, it's just for the kid in me because jumping around on it can be so darned fun!! ;):p:*