Five weeks in, no loss but gaining inches???

Options
JennypegMarie
JennypegMarie Posts: 133 Member
Hey gang.

I'm really stuck here..
Week 5 I have gradually dropped carbs from 50 -20g
my stats are now;
Fat 90-100g
Protein 70g
cals 14-1500

Wk 1 -3lb
By week 2 back on
Wk 4 measurements -2inches waist
Wk 5
+5 inches waist
+1IN collar (I measure everywhere)
+ 2IN bust
+ 1 inch calves

Ive got to the point now where i seriously want to come off but this woe is having awesome results in others!!

I'm dropping the cream and having fat free quark as from yesterday in case its that.

any advice would be helpful.

Acoording to ketostix I am in ketosis, ++ some people say not to read them but info is there.

Activities I have a disability that hinders physical workout so not majorly active but swin, small walks, cleaning etc.

Look forward to some advice

thank you.

Replies

• JennypegMarie
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I'd look at your diary for triggers, but it isn't public. The things that jump to mind are:

1) not enough sodium - will make you swell/get edema.
    2) artificial sweetners. @Karlottap gained almost 20 pounds in a single month with them due to inflammation.
    3) some sort of food intolerance - swelling most in the waist signals to me some type of gut distress...what did you add or remove to your diet lately???
    4) not enough water - again, will cause swelling and retention...
    5) gluten/wheat reactions

Anything else isn't one of my defaults without looking at your diary.

And that being said, I'd truly ask how you're feeling. If you're feeling great, I'd keep with the plan at least 6-12 weeks before deciding anything. Since you are disabled and likely have some metabolic dysfunction to have ended up on this WOE, you may have to do some internal healing before your body will start burning fat intensely. There are many to whom this happens. Typically, the body can't heal and lose weight at the same time. Healing nearly always comes first. The first week of loss was mostly released water retention combined with a small bit of burned fat. @FIT_Goat may be able to explain the healing before losing process better, as one of his friends ended up slowly gaining weight over 6 months, but making major health strides during that time - and then started dropping weight like crazy once all the "repair" was mostly handled... It's crazy how the body works.

But the biggest thing I would say is, go to the Launchpad post here, focus on getting your basics nailed down, and follow your plan for at least 12 weeks before giving up! It can take that long for your body to catch up to the process...

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm off to an appointment right now but I'll post back in detail for you.

I appreciate the advice. Thank you

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My daughter gained 30 pounds over 5 months of very low carb but regained her health. She started with an A1c of over 14 as a Type 1 Diabetic and got that down to 7 in the first 9 or 10 weeks. She got her monthly cycle back and feels good for the first time in years. As a 21 year old that couldn't go to a concert without staying seated the entire time, she wasn't having a good time.
    She is just now starting to see the scale go back down very small amounts, as the 30 pounds did take her into being technically overweight, she does hope they go, but feels too good to care too much.
  • JennypegMarie
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Guys, I can' thank you enough for this information.
    Yes, I have stevia - but will cut this out as on now.

@KnitOrMiss I'm lactose intolerent so reintroducing small amounts of lactose (quark) as I thought I was eating too much l/f cream! I was having 250ml a day to stave off hunger. Some in my bpc, some on its own through the day.

Would you say it's too much on this diet??

Theres no guidlines on how much hf foods too eat, they say eat until full. I'm never full so snack on the cream. I think this is where Im going wrong but marcos are fine?

My sodium level is fine but Im worried my potassium is low- I'm getting awful palpatations.
    I need to invest in the pink salt, I was desperate the other day and made the mistake of having half of rehydration salt.
    glucose! - low carb but sugar non the less.

Im having advacado regularly now.
    I need to drink more so thats a must also Im having no wheat or gluten at all.
    im sticking to the allowed list apart from the quark, stevia & the mistake hydration salts.

I also haven't managed to have real butter. My fat is from/ was cream and extra virgin coconut oil.

Obviously from cutting sweetner and drinking more water with the pink salt, is there any other foods I should know of?

You guys are awesome, @FIT_Goat @NonnaTurtle @Sunny_Bunny_ & @KnitOrMiss
    Thank you :)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of this information. I started keto this week and gained 3 pounds. It is scaring me. The advice about healing makes sense. I do know when inflammation is being healed the body pulls water into the tissues. Maybe I should go with this process, but I was hoping that I would lose 3 pounds the first week rather than gain. I'm wondering about the whole leaky gut thing myself. Perhaps I should read up on this phenomenon.
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Thanks for all of this information. I started keto this week and gained 3 pounds. It is scaring me. The advice about healing makes sense. I do know when inflammation is being healed the body pulls water into the tissues. Maybe I should go with this process, but I was hoping that I would lose 3 pounds the first week rather than gain. I'm wondering about the whole leaky gut thing myself. Perhaps I should read up on this phenomenon.

Hi @DebSozo I really can't advice you on the process but I'm there myself and I know how deflating it is.

My mother in Law is on Slimming World and has lost 2.5st, I tried it and never lost a lb...

I keep telling myself that something will work.. it has too and likely for you too.

It's likely this 1st week it will be water due to the diet change.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
    It's a crazy, strange journey this LCHF diet, but some people are having excellent results and health benefits so this is what is keeping me still going.

Good luck :)

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It was sucralose that had my whole body inflamed last July! After using it via sugar free coffee syrups I did gain 20 pounds. This was after avoiding all artificial sweeteners for approximately 6 months. Just know that sucralose is in almost anything that is sugar free. I have to avoid it, completely. Was the first thing I thought about when I read the title of your post.
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    It was sucralose that had my whole body inflamed last July! After using it via sugar free coffee syrups I did gain 20 pounds. This was after avoiding all artificial sweeteners for approximately 6 months. Just know that sucralose is in almost anything that is sugar free. I have to avoid it, completely. Was the first thing I thought about when I read the title of your post.

Thank you for your input. Muchly appreciated.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Another thread poster put a link to Dr. Eric Berg's site, where there are a LOT of videos about healing the body before weight loss. His overriding principal is that you must work toward health before weight loss. And there was an anecdote about one of his patients, who was over 300 lbs, who didn't lose for the first month but by month 3 had lost 63 lbs, by healing to that point. So, keep calm and keto on! :)

https://www.drberg.com/