When is the best time to take supplements?

Options
dmariet116
dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
I am going to start IF and I drink BPC in the morning. My main concern is when to take my supplements. I take a multi vitamin, turmeric, D3, CoQ10 and Omega 3 fish oil. Should I take these with my meal instead of how I usually take them in the morning? I don't want to negate the effects of the fast because I am sure the tablets/capsules contain some carbs. When do you all take yours?
Thanks in advance!!! :)

Replies

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Following...I was wondering the same thing. Im guessing with food or bpc is best.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't really do IF, so I don't worry too much about the carbs in meds after researching to find the best quality, but I take my fish oil twice a day as directed. It should be all fats unless your capsule has something else in it, so that should be fine. D3 needs to be taken WITH K2 (without the K2, it can clutter and contribute to artery blockage - it helps calcium absorb, too, but shouldn't be taken with calcium supplements - just foods with calcium - calcium supplements are apparently to be taken stand alone, at night, without food for best effect), and with fats, and in the morning/early afternoon. The multivitamin might have conflicts, so that could probably be a PM thing. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory, but I don't know about carb count - I just know that you need to take one with black pepper or add black pepper when you take it - it increase the absorption by a huge percentage. The CoQ10, I honestly don't know about, as I've never taken it or researched it.

EDITED TO ADD: You shouldn't take Vitamin A with D, as they compete. D in the am, A in the pm... Many other things in a multi can compete, so they aren't always the best vitamin to take, but that's an individual choice and quality matters so much. Zinc and Calcium compete. Iron competes with copper and other things, I think...so just be aware of all that!
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    D in the am,[/b]

This! @KnitOrMiss helped me diagnose some insomnia and the D in the evening was to blame. I also prefer to take my magnesium in the evening - if there is any kind of gentle laxative effect then it shows up in the morning...but I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference. If you are taking probiotics - take as directed. Mine is twice a day - so once in the morning and at night.

• dmariet116
    Options
    Thanks! I normally just grab a handful and mindlessly take them in the morning but got to thinking maybe this is not the best way to go. I will check out my multi to see what exactly is in it. It actually has an AM/PM dose but I usually forget the PM formula. I do take magnesium at bedtime. And I did not realize D3 needed K2.
    Really appreciate the input!!! <3
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Many supplements interact with each other and shouldn't be taken at the same time. I recommend doing some research on the supplements you specifically take and learn what should be taken when. Some make you sleepy, some wake you up, some will sit better with food, some will sit better without food, some will cancel others... If you take many it could be time consuming, but well worth it when you are sleeping well and not wasting money because your Calcium is ruining the effects of your Iron...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yay! My inner geek is squealing with joy right now! Thanks @RowdysLady ! I have more research to add to my nutrient knowledge. Thanks for that.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Do you know that my doc didn't tell me to take my D3 with K... and this is after I had 4 stents put in. YIKES!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    Do you know that my doc didn't tell me to take my D3 with K... and this is after I had 4 stents put in. YIKES!

Sadly the need to take K2 if one is going to take D3 does not seem to be part of AMA protocols. I learned about from a non traditional MD.
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Many supplements interact with each other and shouldn't be taken at the same time. I recommend doing some research on the supplements you specifically take and learn what should be taken when. Some make you sleepy, some wake you up, some will sit better with food, some will sit better without food, some will cancel others... If you take many it could be time consuming, but well worth it when you are sleeping well and not wasting money because your Calcium is ruining the effects of your Iron...

Thank you for the links! More research!

And @KnitOrMiss , thank you too!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

@kmn118 - @GaleHawkins is actually the one who got me started on the K2 bandwagon and I've seen hear it reinforced numerous times! K2 is like the garbage pickup truck, and D3 is like the second guy on it that gets out and grabs the clutter crap (all the stuff in the arteries that shouldn't be there) and routes it to where it needs to go...

Listen to Dr. Berg...his preferred ratio is 10,000 I.U. of D3 with 100 mcg of K2. He recommends that most of this patients take 40,000 I.U./400 mcg daily. You can do a 2:1 ratio of D3/K2 to declutter further, but his latest webinar that I just posted about digestion actually covered a lot of this! https://www.drberg.com/main/webinarsignup?webinar_id=5 if you missed it. If it isn't still available, I took notes, but hearing a doctor's words may make something else click with you...

D3 is needed to absorb calcium from food. K2 is needed to pick up D3 and take it where it needs to go. Magnesium and potassium are the passport to get the nutrients into the cells, Boron strengthens the cell walls to keep the nutrients there, and K2 has the added bonus of keeping the arteries more elastic and less prone to hardening...
  • dmariet116
    Options
    So fascinating @KnitOrMiss!!! I am looking for some K2 to finish off the D3 I have now then I will hopefully find a D3/K2 combo to take from then on.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    When my stock of D3 is gone I may go with Life Extension D3/K2 combo to keep it simple.
  • dmariet116
    Options
    @GaleHawkins that is just what I was thinking. Simple is good!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - I considered that, but the level of D3 and K2 are too low for my needs, so I would need to take more pills, and it would end up costing more. It does include iodine, too, though, so I don't know if that's good for everyone, but I take that separate, too. I can add up the costs in what I buy/use for comparison, if anyone wants actual numbers...

Nice - LifeExtension brand supplements is having a major clearance sale! http://www.lifeextension.com/lpages/finalclearance2016

Amount Per Serving
    Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol)
    5000 IU
    Vitamin K activity from:
    2100 mcg
    Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione)
    1000 mcg
    Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4)
    1000 mcg
    Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7)
    100 mcg
    Iodine [from Sea-Iodine™ Complex Blend (organic kelp and bladderwrack extracts, potassium iodide)]
    1000 mcg
    Other ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), maltodextrin, modified food starch, dicalcium phosphate, stearic acid, silica.

Hmm...somehow those numbers don't match up to the last time I looked. The D3 was only 1000-2000 IU and the K was much lower... Maybe amazon has old formulations??
  • kmn118
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@kmn118 - @GaleHawkins is actually the one who got me started on the K2 bandwagon and I've seen hear it reinforced numerous times! K2 is like the garbage pickup truck, and D3 is like the second guy on it that gets out and grabs the clutter crap (all the stuff in the arteries that shouldn't be there) and routes it to where it needs to go...

Listen to Dr. Berg...his preferred ratio is 10,000 I.U. of D3 with 100 mcg of K2. He recommends that most of this patients take 40,000 I.U./400 mcg daily. You can do a 2:1 ratio of D3/K2 to declutter further, but his latest webinar that I just posted about digestion actually covered a lot of this! https://www.drberg.com/main/webinarsignup?webinar_id=5 if you missed it. If it isn't still available, I took notes, but hearing a doctor's words may make something else click with you...

D3 is needed to absorb calcium from food. K2 is needed to pick up D3 and take it where it needs to go. Magnesium and potassium are the passport to get the nutrients into the cells, Boron strengthens the cell walls to keep the nutrients there, and K2 has the added bonus of keeping the arteries more elastic and less prone to hardening...

Watched that. It's very interesting to know how so many issues all center around the same base issue. Gut health is super important.
  • kmn118
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss That formulation has modified food starch in the list, which Dr. Berg said is another name for MSG and tiny amounts will wreck ketosis. This is from my memory of the video yesterday.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yeah. I didn't notice the maltodextrin. I use Iodoral normally, no starches, and I use the Super K, which has none either that I know of, and I use another brand of D3 recommended to my by a thyroid pharmacist, so I did get those just to try, but I haven't felt anything at all from them, so I'll probably keep those as a back up plan.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Warning - long (but informative) post!

From Consumer Lab:

https://www.consumerlab.com/m/answers/Which+vitamins+and+minerals+should+be+taken+together+or+separately/how-to-take-vitamins/
    The question of when to take vitamins together or separately is an excellent one and which we address in the "What to Consider When Using" and "Concerns and Cautions" sections of our Reviews of vitamin or mineral supplements. How you take a supplement can be just as important as which product you take -- both may impact how much of a nutrient your body actually gets.

A few rules of thumb:

If you take a large dose of a mineral, it will compete with other minerals to reduce their absorption. The mineral most often taken in large amounts is calcium: The dose is usually several hundred of milligrams, compared to doses of just a few milligrams or even microgram amounts (1,000 micrograms = 1 milligram) of most other minerals. So if you take a calcium supplement, take it at a different time of day than other mineral supplements or a multivitamin/multimineral supplement. Doses of magnesium can also be relatively large and should, ideally, be taken apart from other minerals. If you take high doses of zinc long-term (50 mg or more per day for 10 weeks or longer ), be aware that it can cause copper deficiency, so you may need to supplement with copper as well.

Some vitamins can actually enhance the absorption of other nutrients. Vitamin C, for example, can enhance iron absorption from supplements and plant foods.

The fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) are likely to be better absorbed if taken with a meal that contains fats. In fact, one study found that taking vitamin D with dinner rather than breakfast increased blood levels of vitamin D by about 50%. However, evidence (mainly from animal and cell studies) suggests that moderate to large doses of fat-soluble vitamins reduce absorption of other fat-soluble vitamins - by about 10 to 50% - due to competition. Absorption of vitamin K appears to be particularly reduced by other fat-soluble vitamins, while vitamin A absorption is least affected and may actually be better absorbed when taken with vitamin E (Goncalves, Food Chem 2015). Taking vitamins D, E, or K several hours before or after other fat-soluble vitamins would seem to maximize their absorption.

Taking certain supplements with food can reduce gastrointestinal side-effects. For example, taking magnesium with food can reduce the occurrence of diarrhea, and taking iron with food can reduce the chance of stomach upset.

Be aware that vitamins and minerals can also affect the absorption and effectiveness of medications. You'll find more specific information about this in the "Concerns and Cautions" section of each of our Reviews. You can also look up these drug interactions by drug name in our Encyclopedia.

Keep in mind that these issues are not of significant concern when consuming a multivitamin providing up to the recommended daily intakes (RDAs) of vitamins and minerals -- as long as it does not contain more than 250 mg of either calcium or magnesium.