2016 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - Vuelta Now Up and Rolling...

Options

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    heads up for my fellow Pastana team-mates... tomorrow may be tricky for me getting a ride in ...

Do what you gotta do! Today may be tricky for me. Tonight will be spent prepping bike and gear for tomorrow's 10 mile TT. I have to ride, but time and other things to do may dictate an indoor ride. Tomorrow will definitely have some kms, but probably not much more than 30-40 since all I'll have is the 16km for the race plus another 10-15 for warmup.

• jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Scored a road bike! It's too big but not so big I can't ride it. Did a tiny ride to be sure. Will ride at sunrise tomorrow (as it's going to 107 today). I haven't been on a road bike in EONS and I already broke a nail trying to shift (I hate Shimano! I want my Campy!). :smiley: At least I'm not a zero today!

Hmmmmm, maybe you need to get rid of the nails, or get di2 shifters :-)
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    Scored a road bike! It's too big but not so big I can't ride it. Did a tiny ride to be sure. Will ride at sunrise tomorrow (as it's going to 107 today). I haven't been on a road bike in EONS and I already broke a nail trying to shift (I hate Shimano! I want my Campy!). :smiley: At least I'm not a zero today!

Hmmmmm, maybe you need to get rid of the nails, or get di2 shifters :-)

It's a rental so I had no choice. And I cut my nails short a few days ago. At home I mostly ride a hybrid with grip shift, and when I'm on MY road bike, I have Campy, which doesn't have this stupid two levers right together design. Maybe this will motivate me to ride my road bike when I get home. I've neglected it for ages.
  • canbbot
    canbbot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :'(

#firstworldproblems #tourchallenge I'm in Las Vegas for work. I arranged to rent a mountain bike from the only place that will deliver to my (any) hotel. The nice man, Matt, brought their three smallest mountain bikes (I'm 5'1") in combinations of full suspension/hardtail, S/XS. He even brought SPD pedals for me. I cannot stand over the top tube of any of them. Not a one. <WHINE> He's going to measure the stand over height of their smallest road bike and if that might work, he'll come back. I am not the shortest person on earth! I am definitely not the only woman or short person who rides bikes. Why does BMC only have tall people bikes? (They are a BMC only place, it seems). Their smallest road bike is a 51cm so it's unlikely to work for me either. My road bike is 47cm and I've ridden a 48cm before, but 51cm is likely going to be too tall for me to get over. <WHINE> It's not like I ride a child's bike?!?!?!?!

:'(

I am 5'4" and I have bikes that range from 48cm to 52cm. Ntnunk took my Felt when I bought my Bianchi and he is 5'9". I rode that bike for 2 years and he loves the fit. Never quite understood how many different sizes I could own.
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    HopHead28 wrote: »
    I'm going to be out for another day or so yet. I had a hornet get under my glasses and I was stung 3 times before I could get it out. I have some swelling and am resting up for a few days so that I can get back on the bike sooner rather than later.

Oh that sounds horrible! I hope your feeling better

Thanks @jillyian after quite a bit of benadryl, ibuprofen and a tetanus shot later my eye is no longer swollen and I was able to ride today which was quite the treat.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    I just checked CycLeagues and the TdF spreadsheet. Neither one picked up todays ride activity https://www.strava.com/activities/640104689. I finished this at 3pm my time it is now 6:30 and it is still not up.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CycLeagues: Background Strava pull fell on it's *kitten* at 4:32pm GMT yesterday, only just noticed, now back up and running.

Lovely Strava based error:

java.net.UnknownHostException: www.strava.com
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.security.ssl.BaseSSLSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.New(Unknown Source)

What I do intend on doing come post September is implement an automated recovery mechanism that should get round the manual restart.

Let's be thankful this hasn't yet happened while I've been away on tour.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    So, today I finally got enough info from a security guard and a valet parking worker and managed to exit the hotel with my bike via a parking deck so I didn't have to go out on the Strip (Las Vegas Boulevard). The down side? All that climbing I had to do in the parking deck did not get measured by GPS. Hmph. :o
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    Happy birthday, TBY!

:D
  • anaconda469
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Happened again, July 14th activity https://www.strava.com/activities/641054733 not picked up by CycLeagues and I finished that ride at 1330 hrs PST. Does the site not like me anymore???
  • Jakess1971
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You know I don't know why I bother when people complain so bl&0dy quickly, this is a free sodding service, seriously I'm just setting off for a long weekends riding and I get these really annoying comments, it's a beta process FFS!!!!!

Not happy!!!!
  • anaconda469
    Options
    The above activity finally posted to the league and tour spreadsheet. Is it now going to take 6/7 hours for my data to post? I check this everyday, started having problems on the 13th.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    The above activity finally posted to the league and tour spreadsheet. Is it now going to take 6/7 hours for my data to post? I check this everyday, started having problems on the 13th.

Quite frankly use the door, idiotic comments about a free system set up for a community are not welcome and neither are you, thanks for being a royal pain in the *kitten* and putting me in the worse mood before setting off for a tour!
  • Jakess1971
    Options

Bad mouthing a service that is there to help others and make life easier like you did in your status feed is a dick move, and you Susan are a dick, sling you hook, just wish I was near a PC so I could kick your *kitten* off the Strava and MFP groups.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    oh - and one more thing - before the CycLeagues auto-poster, the spreadsheet was pretty much a once-a-day update... now it's roughly about a hour out of date, and generally tidied twice a day. Without the CycLeagues integration, I seriously doubt that the challenges would continue unless someone else took on the setting up and daily running of them.
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    the work you guys do is much appreciated, its got me out more and i am even upping my speed to new levels!
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jason & Mark, both! The convenience of NOT having to switch Strava UOM or break out the calculator to total up multiple rides in a day for a single, manually logged entry is invaluable to me. Once the points/speed element is added in to the equation, then I'll really be over the moon. :mrgreen:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Agreed; this new logging system takes out the nausea of people logging incorrectly/people failing to log at all...

Much better system and this challenge has been much better for it IMHO!

Chapeau chaps; keep up the hard work & don't lett the *kitten*holes get you down ;)