2016 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - Vuelta Now Up and Rolling...

Options

Replies

• Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    To Team Pie, apologise for the lack of riding. First winter in Perth and not used to the weather patterns. One minute it is beautiful and warm next overcast, cold, windy and raining. At the moment the sun is out however the wind is blowing hard and it is raining in spots. Generally not ideal conditions for a pedal. Tomorrow is looking up though.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    webtracer wrote: »
    OK ... I'm a little behind and my coworker is on vacation (adding to my issues getting rides in)

Is there a logging thread for this? Or are we using Cycleagues for that?

all in CycLeagues - no logging thread required mate, but if you could possibly try and keep your Strava feed up to date after each days ride it'd be appreciated - or, if you're going to be away from internet/phone coverage for a few days, drop me a PM so I don't think you've stopped logging and mark you as DNF for the challenge...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Kupe wrote: »
    To Team Pie, apologise for the lack of riding. First winter in Perth and not used to the weather patterns. One minute it is beautiful and warm next overcast, cold, windy and raining. At the moment the sun is out however the wind is blowing hard and it is raining in spots. Generally not ideal conditions for a pedal. Tomorrow is looking up though.

Sounds like a typical British Summer...
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    OK ... I'm a little behind and my coworker is on vacation (adding to my issues getting rides in)

all in CycLeagues - no logging thread required mate, but if you could possibly try and keep your Strava feed up to date after each days ride it'd be appreciated - or, if you're going to be away from internet/phone coverage for a few days, drop me a PM so I don't think you've stopped logging and mark you as DNF for the challenge...

Strava is as up to date as it's gonna be ... I missed the first few stages due to life ... hoping the rain keeps away until after my lunch so I can get in todays ride ... rained this morning on my drive to work, but it's not raining now

Such a bummer ... last July for my first Grand Tour challenge the weather here in the Seattle area was perfect ... sunny and warm ... this July has been cloudy, cold, windy and overcast ... and the next two or three days call for rain :neutral:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    That JSS Turbo guy is a bit of a lazy sod...

d9eo9wq2sqab.jpg

Bottom of the pile ;)
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options

Strava is as up to date as it's gonna be ... I missed the first few stages due to life ... hoping the rain keeps away until after my lunch so I can get in todays ride ... rained this morning on my drive to work, but it's not raining now

Such a bummer ... last July for my first Grand Tour challenge the weather here in the Seattle area was perfect ... sunny and warm ... this July has been cloudy, cold, windy and overcast ... and the next two or three days call for rain :neutral:

Weather wise I am having the same problem. Occasionally I get to post sunny pictures on Strava, but this year July is the worst it been in over 10 years.
  • canbbot
    canbbot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We are in for some weather here for the next week. Hopefully we can get a few good days. Go Team girl kick *kitten*!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    That JSS Turbo guy is a bit of a lazy sod...

d9eo9wq2sqab.jpg

Bottom of the pile ;)

Haha what a loser!! :)
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    canbbot wrote: »
    We are in for some weather here for the next week. Hopefully we can get a few good days. Go Team girl kick *kitten*!

We had 3 funnel clouds drop out of this mess. one touched down. I was out on my bike at the time, and got just hammered by weather.

slk8ndhs3axr.jpg
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Mark, I rode today is it all I need to do is to delete this entry in Cycleagues?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    you don't even have to do that - Jason's built in a "filter" routine that basically ignores anything on the TdF rest days - BUT it still keeps the data there for the on-going "summer challenge"

• narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification, Mark!
  • Jakess1971
    Options

Most important stat of all to me, and I hope this doesn't jinx things, but NOBODY has reported as being "off the bike" through falls or injuries - that's the one thing that I worry about in running these things - that some of you over-competitive types will go out in the rain and do something silly... Please don't - be careful out there, stay safe, keep the bike rubber side down, and lets get through the challenge all intact and all still fit and well.

Yeh like cycle up Mount Snowdonia in crazy weather conditions and nearly do a lemming impression off a cliff due to inept brakes .... don't do it people!

qv8rprgtuhmu.jpg
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Oh and on a Cycleague note I've realised that some of the missing profile pics are due to them being out of date with Strava and not just private, I'll sort out a 'set profile picture' or 'get latest from Strava' in a profile settings page.

We've been pretty lucky so far that the background Strava fetch routine has been running happily for weeks now, this could be down to either my network at work behaving itself or Starves background API being more stable, either way it's happy days, if it goes down over the next two weekends please be patient and wait until I get back on the Mondays.
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be out for another day or so yet. I had a hornet get under my glasses and I was stung 3 times before I could get it out. I have some swelling and am resting up for a few days so that I can get back on the bike sooner rather than later.
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    HopHead28 wrote: »
    I'm going to be out for another day or so yet. I had a hornet get under my glasses and I was stung 3 times before I could get it out. I have some swelling and am resting up for a few days so that I can get back on the bike sooner rather than later.

Oh that sounds horrible! I hope your feeling better
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    :'(

#firstworldproblems #tourchallenge I'm in Las Vegas for work. I arranged to rent a mountain bike from the only place that will deliver to my (any) hotel. The nice man, Matt, brought their three smallest mountain bikes (I'm 5'1") in combinations of full suspension/hardtail, S/XS. He even brought SPD pedals for me. I cannot stand over the top tube of any of them. Not a one. <WHINE> He's going to measure the stand over height of their smallest road bike and if that might work, he'll come back. I am not the shortest person on earth! I am definitely not the only woman or short person who rides bikes. Why does BMC only have tall people bikes? (They are a BMC only place, it seems). Their smallest road bike is a 51cm so it's unlikely to work for me either. My road bike is 47cm and I've ridden a 48cm before, but 51cm is likely going to be too tall for me to get over. <WHINE> It's not like I ride a child's bike?!?!?!?!

:'(
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Perhaps something like these, with cleats screwed to the bottom?

363e45eb31b118aafa21c1a5a45cfffc_465_641_int.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    heads up for my fellow Pastana team-mates... tomorrow may be tricky for me getting a ride in - i'm pitching for some paying work in the afternoon (first new potential client i've had a chance to pick up for about 4 years now, so it's sort of a) marginally important and b) bloody nerve wracking as I'm Soooo out of practice. ) so if I get a chance to ride it'll be late afternoon/evening (and, being honest here, it'll most likely be down to the pub for a swift couple to celebrate/drown my sorrows depending on how the pitch goes...)

I don't want to break my "ride every day" record, so unless its absolutely slashing down in the evening, I will get out there, but don't count on me for anything over double figures in the km's...

Hopefully the weather will be kind for Bastille Day, so I can claw some distance back (and build up a few kCals of buffer for my birthday dinner... along with the incredibly apt bottle of VinRouge that I've been gifted...

28257375215_a7ff360859_o.jpgUntitled by The Big Yin, on Flickr