2016 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - Vuelta Now Up and Rolling...

Options

Replies

• anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    156nt8i6dmvm.jpg

And we kicked your butt in the Revolutionary War too!!!!! For my American friends, Happy Independence Day!!!

nl1klcf8cei9.jpg
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Wants a prize for being the slowest tour rider ever.

9xm9q0gay24q.png

I might challenge you... currently riding with a lower back issue so I am going nice and slow.

We are a pair! I have a broken coccyx. Ugh. I think lower back issues are worse, although I sure miss being able to sit in a normal chair.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    This ride here .........1:53 PM on Sunday, July 3, 2016

Just a note on this ride here, I think the data we use is fine, but my Wahoo TICKR HRM battery was failing (I am hoping a new battery fixes it) so MFP anyway came up with a really screwy calorie burn of 313 cals in 31 miles, it thought my HR was 45 BPM for much of the ride. I send data to Garmin first, which shares with Strava, which shares with MFP. Garmin is the source of the 313 cal value, Strava strips that out.

Just in case something looks screwy on a periodic review :-).

Some how that I don't understand, everything gets sent twice for me to MFP. I think Garmin is sending to Strava and MFP and Strava is sending to MFP. Anyhow, the calorie amounts are WIDELY different. I use the shape sense calculator (uses sex, age, weight, time, and average HRT) and record THAT as my calories burned. It's inevitably in the middle between the other two.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Some how that I don't understand, everything gets sent twice for me to MFP.

If you have both Garmin and Strava connected they do both update your exercise diary from the same event, and as you say, with different numbers

• nerdieprofessor
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    Some how that I don't understand, everything gets sent twice for me to MFP.

If you have both Garmin and Strava connected they do both update your exercise diary from the same event, and as you say, with different numbers

I thought that, but then I disengaged Garmin but it's still happening. I need to disengage everything, i think, if I can figure out how.
  • canbbot
    canbbot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wants a prize for being the slowest tour rider ever.

9xm9q0gay24q.png

I might challenge you... currently riding with a lower back issue so I am going nice and slow.

We are a pair! I have a broken coccyx. Ugh. I think lower back issues are worse, although I sure miss being able to sit in a normal chair.

OH no!! You two are our strongest riders. Get better! I can send you both some motrin.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    As an example for how crazy the calorie disparity is: Today's ride was posted twice to MFP like this:

xgghi9ubdbt8.png
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    As an example for how crazy the calorie disparity is: Today's ride was posted twice to MFP like this:

xgghi9ubdbt8.png

Let me guess, first was garmin figure, second was strava...

Basically, strava said calorie readings are a 'consignment of geriatric shoe Menders' unless you have a power meter on the bike.

The double posting is a pita though... In my case I unlinked garmin connect from MFP and let strava post its figure, but that's because I've powermeters on the two main bikes I use... And, for the others, I'll manually adjust st the single post down to the GC value, because those post are likely to be pretty rare.

• nerdieprofessor
    Options

xgghi9ubdbt8.png

Let me guess, first was garmin figure, second was strava...

Basically, strava said calorie readings are a 'consignment of geriatric shoe Menders' unless you have a power meter on the bike.

The double posting is a pita though... In my case I unlinked garmin connect from MFP and let strava post its figure, but that's because I've powermeters on the two main bikes I use... And, for the others, I'll manually adjust st the single post down to the GC value, because those post are likely to be pretty rare.

I went into the MFP settings again and disconnected Garmin. Now I get no data. Weird.

I'm just going back to doing it by hand with shape sense calculations which make so much more sense really.

I don't have enough power to justify a meter. :smiley:
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    A piece of black Tarmac walks into the pub acting all hard and swearing. In walks a piece of green Tarmac and the black Tarmac runs out. The same thing happens the next day and the next. Finally the landlord say to the black Tarmac:

"Why are you so scared of the green Tarmac?"

Black Tarmac responds "You don't understand - he's a cyclepath"

Enjoy your day
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    An Extra Strong Mint walks into a bar full of bravado; acting all tough & swearing. He says "I'm the hardest Mint in the world! Don't mess with me..." He demands a pint of the barman's strongest Ale. He plonks himself on a barstool and starts drinking whilst snarling at people.

A short while later a Eucalyptus Cough sweet walk in & orders a mineral water. The Extra Strong Mint starts shaking, jumps off his barstool and goes & hides in a corner...

The Eucalyptus Cough sweet drinks his drink and leaves.

The barman calls the Extra Strong Mint over and says "What's up with you?"
    "I though you were the hardest mint in the World?"

The Extra Strong Mint replies "Yes, I'm hard... But He's Menthol!"

Ba dum tish ;) I'm here all week, try the Vegan goulash :)
  • anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    MFP says I have both Strava and garmin connected but MFP is getting garmin calorie burn . So I don't think Strava is sending anything to MFP
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    I think my HRM needs new batteries or something. My average HR today was 2 and my max was 10. So either it needs batteries or I am dead!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I think my HRM needs new batteries or something. My average HR today was 2 and my max was 10. So either it needs batteries or I am dead!

... Or very, very fit (a la Lance Armstrong) ;)
  • TheBigYin
    Options

wow - I thought my HR was low since the meds...

(rhr last night of 36 apparently... I dunno, I was asleep at the time!)

• 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    @TheBigYin

What's the significance of the bold/not bold numbers in the individual riders' numbers on the summary page?
  • TheBigYin
    edited July 2016
    Options
    riders in BOLD are the ones that have ridden every stage to that point... the bold stops the moment you miss a day.

It's generally a day or so behind - as sometimes people don't always update their garmin until the following day (some people do their updates at work as they don't have 'net / pc at home...)

• webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    new #336 dossard

27656674470_f83f1f6aee_o.jpgDossard_336 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Thanks for the dossard!! I'm a bit behind on the challenge due to work and home issues but got in gear yesterday

Now if the weather here will allow to put in some rides I'll be happy and contributing!
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    OK ... I'm a little behind and my coworker is on vacation (adding to my issues getting rides in)

Is there a logging thread for this? Or are we using Cycleagues for that?