My Story - 7years out & -200lbs ( Gastric Bypass)

Options
Loves2snack
Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
Hi everyone! I just wanted to quickly share my story!

I have been overweight my whole life. By the time I hit middle school I was 240 and by the time I was in high school 260. Graduated at 290 pounds.
I have the same story as a bunch of kids who grew up fat. I got made fun of, I was shy, insecure, miserable. When I was 18 I decided to have gastric bypass. I didn't have it until 7/14/2009 when I was 20 and it was the BEST thing I have done for myself ( besides quit smoking this year hehe :) )

I was 330 when I had my surgery. I am 7 years out and I weigh 146 pounds. This is the smallest I have been now, than after surgery!
When I was 1 year out I weighed 180 pounds. The next year I was 160 and I maintained this weight for most of the time. I didn't go over 170 until I was pregnant with my son. I delivered my son at 205 September 29th, 2014 and by November 1st I was 160 pounds again!
The reason why I wanted to tell my story is because there is so much negativity towards people who have bariatric surgery! I mean, this lady loked at me and said " I don't believe in that crap". Ok, well you are looking at a woman that's had kept her weight off for 7 years and had a baby, so vbelieve it or not it works.

Did I have issues in the beginning? HELL yea! Did I push my pouch to its limits, YES! I am human, I had to learn how to eat properly. Everyone told me I would gain my weight back.
Let the haters hate!!

I had 12 pounds of skin removed 9/03/2015. ( I have some pictures on my Instagram)

I wish I knew how to put a picture on here...but I suck lol. I have pictures on my instagram if anyone is interested. Its fitgirl_snacky.

DO WHATS BEST FOR YOU! Don't ever let anyone tell you what's best for YOU!!!

Replies

• Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that wonderful story! I agree with you, to make this decision and follow through is something to be proud of, we are doing something positive to correct an issue. I have not decided whether I will tell people or not that I have had the sleeve becasue I too am worried about the negative comments I might get and I really don't have patience nor energy to deal with others interpretations of my decision...
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I'm glad to hear that even though you had issues in the beginning you were able to learn how to eat properly and make a long lasting change. I'm about 5 months post surgery and I sometimes I feel guilty when I get off track, but I try to remind myself that I'm still learning and making changes. There is no deadline, this is a journey that is going to last the rest of my life.

Also, good for you for being so brave to have the surgery so young! I have been heavy all my life as well and had the surgery at 27 (which is still pretty young, I know), but I wish I hadn't wasted so much time putting off getting professional help with my weight.
  • mscny
    mscny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to quickly share my story!

I have been overweight my whole life. By the time I hit middle school I was 240 and by the time I was in high school 260. Graduated at 290 pounds.
    I have the same story as a bunch of kids who grew up fat. I got made fun of, I was shy, insecure, miserable. When I was 18 I decided to have gastric bypass. I didn't have it until 7/14/2009 when I was 20 and it was the BEST thing I have done for myself ( besides quit smoking this year hehe :) )

I was 330 when I had my surgery. I am 7 years out and I weigh 146 pounds. This is the smallest I have been now, than after surgery!
    When I was 1 year out I weighed 180 pounds. The next year I was 160 and I maintained this weight for most of the time. I didn't go over 170 until I was pregnant with my son. I delivered my son at 205 September 29th, 2014 and by November 1st I was 160 pounds again!
    The reason why I wanted to tell my story is because there is so much negativity towards people who have bariatric surgery! I mean, this lady loked at me and said " I don't believe in that crap". Ok, well you are looking at a woman that's had kept her weight off for 7 years and had a baby, so vbelieve it or not it works.

Did I have issues in the beginning? HELL yea! Did I push my pouch to its limits, YES! I am human, I had to learn how to eat properly. Everyone told me I would gain my weight back.
    Let the haters hate!!

I had 12 pounds of skin removed 9/03/2015. ( I have some pictures on my Instagram)

I wish I knew how to put a picture on here...but I suck lol. I have pictures on my instagram if anyone is interested. Its fitgirl_snacky.

DO WHATS BEST FOR YOU! Don't ever let anyone tell you what's best for YOU!!!

Thank you so much for sharing . I'm at the beginning stages of VSG and I needed to see this so much :) !!!
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Love this, and your attitude! I am 10+ years out and have kept 110 +/- but maintained, and like you said, people automatically think that surgery is an easy way out. We are given an AMAZING Tool to use, but it is up each individual to use it properly and maintain, and if not, you can fail. Props to you girl on your amazing success and keep moving forward! :)