More Wonky Thyroid Questions - T3 Medication Side Effects?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So, to give a little background, my PCP diagnosed me as hypothyroid some years back. We tried Armour, it did squat for me, because we didn't titrate up to therapeutic dosage levels. Went to an endocrinologist who basically told me until I lost weight, I was so fat that thyroid meds wouldn't help me. Dropped him like a hot potato, but stopped the meds.

Fast forward a few years, end up on generic of Synthroid (a T4 only med) after my PCP gets concerned about my levels nearly doubling in less than a year. Start to feel some relief. Add in Iodoral (iodine/iodide combo), get assigned endocrinologist, and start treatment for PCOS, discover I'm insulin resistant, etc.

After that time, about every 6 months, my endo was increasing my T4 medication. We do some more testing, and decide to add a T3 medication (started about 4 weeks ago). Well, I've been fighting way harder against the sugar demon who lives in my head lately, and losing more than winning, but not really gaining more than 2-3 pounds total. After a "MUST EAT SOMETHING SWEET NOW" reaction - more mental than actually physical, but that overwhelming thought process that I've gotten rid of in the 18+ months I've been low carb, and to be honest, it freaked me out.

So, I look up side effects of the medication. No indications for sugar issues. Might affect BCP though - yeah that was a fun read. That being said, it does say something about if you are diabetic and on meds or not, it might become difficult to control your blood sugars - but no reason given unto why. Called pharmacy to ask about side effects. Pharmacist indicated that it's likely just from the changes it gives to your metabolism, but monitor blood sugar (have had lows previous as medication side effect, this feeling definitely was NOT that) and talk with my doctor if continued issue. I've had my insulin levels go wonky before triggering weirdness in this general subject area, but never like this. I do have somewhat of a sharpish energy drop right at the 3-4 hour mark after taking this medication both times I take it daily.

So long story short - has anyone added a T3 medication and had sugar cravings, blood sugar issues, insulin issues, hard crashes after? I know that I can look into a compounded sustained release form, but the cost and procurement will be a problem. My pharmacist recommended that I monitor my blood sugars, cut any carb creep I had back down further, and go back to my doctor if this continues. I'm currently feeling way too *special* with this side effect, and I'd love to hear from anyone who's had this side effect or others.

Thanks in advance, all.

Replies

• LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just started my time-release compounded T3 medication today and my reaction was so totally whoa am I flying! that I didn't take my afternoon Erfa dose. I'm supposed to be taking this 2.5 mcg dose in the morning in addition to my 90 mcg dose of Erfa (I take 60 in the morning and 30 in the afternoon). I think I'll try to ease into the total dose over a week so I don't shock my system.

Of course it's too early to tell how this will ultimately affect me, but I'll keep you posted. What I do know from previous experience is that T3 is a VERY powerful substance and can have a profound effect on the body.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I started Erfa's Thyroid around the same time that I developed my insulin resistance, but I was also on steroids at the time. If there is any medication link to my IR my guess would be the steroids and not the T3/T4.

I dont remember a boost in carb cravings but I was not low carb back then. There could have been but I wasn't trying to avoid carbs then so I would have just eaten it. I'm no help there.

I take 150 mcg of Erfa every day. I take 60 at bed and 60 when I wake up around 7am. I then take the last 30mcg in the late morning. I've never noticed a buzz or coming down feeling from it except when I was taking 180mcg and ran a bit hyper - I got a bit jittery and felt like I was on fast forward a bit.

My worst side affect when switching to Erfa was hair loss. I lost a lot of hair then... I bough a lot of hats until it eventually came back.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    I find it interesting that you can take the Erfa at night and still sleep. I'm leery of taking my second dose later than around 2:00 in the afternoon because of my chronic sleep problems. That's why my ND put me on the time-release T3 -- I get a small dose over a long time, which no doubt helps with the crash and burn I get when I take it all in the morning.

I think it's helping me. It's very early days since this is really only day 3 -- I stopped after my first dose last week because it made me very hyper and then I started again without incident this week. I don't feel as jumpy. I noticed this effect last year when I started the Erfa -- a feeling of deep internal calm. Synthroid always made me feel as though I was on the ragged edge of hysteria.

I definitely had far fewer joint pains when I got to my current dose of Erfa.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear all of this. Since my endo increased my dosage, my crashing is less, though on days I get significantly less sleep, it's still kind of rough. I'm working to add MCT oil back in, and that's helping take the edge off, too...

Thanks for continuing to keep an eye on this thread.

The weirdest thing I've noticed so far is a warming effect a bit when taking the med, but indirectly...and that my metabolism seems a bit more forgiving - something that would have normally been a 10 pound gain over several days was like 1 pounds or none...which is totally weird and I don't understand, as it's been a short term thing.

I'm also focused heavily on my stomach acid issue, because without increasing the acid level, I can't absorb the iodine and other minerals to help with my thyroid's function... Increasing to a higher level of D3/K2 this week, too, has definitely helped!
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    I certainly haven't noticed an increase in carb cravings or odd blood sugar reactions with the compounded T3. I mean, I'm craving carbs a lot because of the lowered carbs in my diet, but nothing more than that. And I can usually shut those down with an almond butter and coconut oil fat bomb.

I would think that thyroid medication wouldn't have anything to do with IR, given that it improves metabolism. My understanding is that it's carbs that cause it -- the terrible low-fat, high fibre diet that's been ruining people's health for decades. It's probably not that simplistic, I know.

When I started taking the Erfa, after 19 years of Synthroid, my body temperature increased. I used to be cold all the time even when everyone else was warm or even too hot. The other thing I noticed was a sharp decrease in nocturnal foot cramps -- but they were a side effect of Synthroid.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I take magnesium pretty heavily. I wonder if that's why I didn't have a major foot cramp issue? I mean, yes, the toe tendons once in a while, but nothing hugely annoying...

But yes, in the time period maybe 4-8 hours after a dose, any humid heat makes me start sweating moderately, and I find it difficult to get cooled down, even in AC without a fan directly on me... I don't notice it changing all the time, just after a dose...

Since I have IR, I was wondering if speeding up the metabolism when I'm not back fully fat adapted yet would cause me to burn through whatever carbs I am eating more quickly triggering the OMG NO SUGAR?!?!?! reaction, you know? I'm a carb/sugar addict anyway, complete with binging tendencies, so I'm thinking something sparked that trigger, and I faceplanted off and on for a while. It's getting easier, again since the dosage was increased...
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sadly not out yet but might be an interesting read: https://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Thyroid-Solution-Fatigued-Uninformed/dp/1939563240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468531204&sr=8-1&keywords=Russ,+Elle

I don't have thyroid issues...at least not at this point (never say never!). The author hosts some of Mark Sissons Primal Solution podcast and there was a long podcast a few months ago on thyroid stuff...admittedly much of it over my head. So not in any way endorsing but would be good to hear from those at the front if there is anything good in there!
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    That book looks interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it.

My recent issues with inability to lose weight may be because whenever I've tried low carb, I always seem to rely heavily on dairy products. I might do better on Paleo.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yeah, I do that, too, @LauraCoth. My main issue was I lost GREAT for a few months, then really just yoyoing since. SO I hit my LOW bacin April of last year, and then again in June.

www.healthfulpursuit.com has a great podcast on why that happens to some thyroid (and adrenal and other) folks on Keto. I do FAB on keto during the day, because I don't crash. I have far less dramatic reactions to carbs at night, so I'm trying to formulate a modified keto/higher PM carbs plan that will still allow me to control hunger, not spike insulin, and all that...
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

www.healthfulpursuit.com has a great podcast on why that happens to some thyroid (and adrenal and other) folks on Keto. I do FAB on keto during the day, because I don't crash. I have far less dramatic reactions to carbs at night, so I'm trying to formulate a modified keto/higher PM carbs plan that will still allow me to control hunger, not spike insulin, and all that...

I'm just listening to the Sunday podcast on carb-ups. It's making me question things even though I feel fine (I think?) even after a year of strict keto. Lots of great info!

• nvmomketo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    I find it interesting that you can take the Erfa at night and still sleep. I'm leery of taking my second dose later than around 2:00 in the afternoon because of my chronic sleep problems. That's why my ND put me on the time-release T3 -- I get a small dose over a long time, which no doubt helps with the crash and burn I get when I take it all in the morning.

I think it's helping me. It's very early days since this is really only day 3 -- I stopped after my first dose last week because it made me very hyper and then I started again without incident this week. I don't feel as jumpy. I noticed this effect last year when I started the Erfa -- a feeling of deep internal calm. Synthroid always made me feel as though I was on the ragged edge of hysteria.

I definitely had far fewer joint pains when I got to my current dose of Erfa.

I'm lucky. I am one of those people who can sleep anytime. It doesn't seem to wake me up. I started out taking it at 2am (bathroom) because I believe T3 is highest in the early morning hours. I started sleeping through the night more and missed my doses so I just take it at bed now.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    I've never tried taking it at night -- too chicken. One of these days I will, though I'm sure I know what will happen. Could be wrong, though.

My ND is hoping that the T3 (as well as going grain-free) will help me lost the weight that seems to be stuck on my chest and stomach. Feel like I'm carting around a couple of bowling balls on my chest. Not fun.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I hope it works for you too. I was pretty happy with the difference I that I experienced. It was subtle but positive. I hope you get the same. :)
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    So far, so good. No hyper symptoms. In fact, quite the opposite. I feel wonderful today -- and I've slept four nights in a row. Maybe my thyroid numbers will finally be in the zone! And maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to chisel off some of this weight now.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    KnitORMiss - I started taking T3 last year, adding to the T4 I had been taking and totally fell off eating keto. I attributed it to a change in lifestyle (new boyfriend, eating out) but it is possible that the T3 triggered my change. After 1 year and 60 lbs of regained weight, I am trying to eat LCHF once again. It's just been a couple of weeks and I am really struggling with sugar cravings. I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and am also IR. I was diabetic from 199? - 2009 and beat that when I first started eating LCHF. My most recent A1C was 6.5, up from 5.8 the previous year before T3. I have 3 month to get it down before I retest.

I never feel any different with the thyroid medications. I am on low doses of each: T4 25 mcg; T3 5 mcg. My thyroid number look good although my antibodies are still climbing.

Very interesting discussion. I'm inspired to try harder to resist the sugar cravings. I'm already grain-free, but will try to eliminate dairy (cheese) and see if that helps.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    toadqueen, do you know what your test numbers are, or are you just taking your doctor's word for it that your numbers are good? It you have them, post here and I'll take a look. Often doctors get this wrong, unfortunately.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thyroid Peroxidase AB = 728 (higher than before)
    TSH = 3.38 (I think that is too high)
    T4, free = .9
    T3 Uptake = 27
    T3 Total = 83
    T3, free = 2.3
    Vitamin D = 36 (I am now supplementing to raise this)

Did you want any of the others? These were taken in May, before I began eating LCHF again a couple of weeks ago.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    T4, free = .9
    T3 Uptake = 27
    T3 Total = 83
    T3, free = 2.3
    Vitamin D = 36 (I am now supplementing to raise this)

Did you want any of the others? These were taken in May, before I began eating LCHF again a couple of weeks ago.

OMG, @toadqueen, not to freak you out, but my endo told me that the older we get, the lower our TSH should be. He told me absolutely that at 40 years old, mine should not be over 2!!!!! With you being slightly older than me, I'd be upset. Mine level was like 2.05 or something in April, and he moved my med from 88 mcg to 100 mcg...and to top that off with the T3 crap I had going on, he added the T3 on top of that!!!

I'm going to look at the other numbers compared to mine and respond directly... I just had to jump in because that TSH makes me wanna slap your doctor telling you you're fine... OMG...
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How odd?!?! I can't find any documents to support why my doc told me that about the level...based on age. No charts will tell you... Annoying. They won't tell you anything about age/gender breakdown...

In October last year, before I took some time off low carbing, I'd stopped losing weight, and in 6 months, my TSH had gone from 2.699 uIU/mL to 3.979 uIU/mL... (before that it was at 1.640 uIU/mL in October 2014. For reference, I went low carb in January of 2015, but I hit a full on wall with my weight loss stopping suddenly at the end of March/beginning of April 2015. Some podcasts and such I've seen indicated that strict keto might have hit on an underlying adrenal issue that was "holding steady" but not really allowing anything to work well. I'm working on a new plan right now...). Here are my numbers in that time frame.

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
    Date -- Result -- Reference Range -- Flag
    15-Apr-16 / 2.04 uIU/ML -- 0.36-3.740 -- none
    13-Oct-15 / 3.979 uIU/ML -- 0.358-3.740 -- H
    20-Apr-15 / 2.699 uIU/ML -- 0.358-3.740 -- none
    27-Oct-14 / 1.640 uIU/ML -- 0.358-3.740 -- none

Free Thyroxine (T4)
    15-Apr-16 -- 1.28 ng/DL -- 0.76-1.46 ng/DL -- none
    13-Oct-15 -- 1.27 ng/dl -- 0.76-1.46 -- none
    20-Apr-15 -- 1.16 ng/dl -- 0.76-1.46 -- none
    27-Oct-14 -- 1.48 ng/dl -- 0.76-1.46 -- H

Free Thyroxine (T4) Index
    21-Apr-14 -- 5.2 -- 1.5-4.4 -- H

Total Thyroxine (T4)
    16-May-14 -- 16.8 UG/ML -- 4.8-13.9 -- H
    21-Apr-14 -- 17.3 UG/ML -- 4.8-13.9 -- H

Triiodothyronine (T3) Uptake
    21-Apr-14 -- 30% -- 30-39 -- none

Free Triiodothyronine (T3)
    31-May-16 -- 2.9 pg/mL -- 2.3-4.2 pg/mL -- none
    15-Apr-16 -- 2.67 pg/DL -- 2.18 -3.98 pg/DL -- none
    21-Apr-15 -- 2.9 pg/mL -- 2.3-4.2 -- none
    21-Apr-15 -- 2.7 pg/mL -- 2.3-4.2 -- none
    28-Oct-14 -- 3.0 pg/mL -- 2.3-4.2 -- none
    17-May-14 -- 3.2 pg/mL -- 2.3-4.2 -- none

Reverse Triiodothyronine (T3)
    31-May-16 -- 26 ng/dL -- 8-25 ng/dL -- H
    25-Apr-15 -- 20 ng/dL -- 8-25 ng/dL -- none

Antibodies Tests
    Date -- Test -- -- -- Result -- Range
    31-May-16 -- Anti-Thyroglobulin Antibody -- <1 IU/mL -- < or = 1 IU/mL
    31-May-16 -- Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies -- 1 IU/mL -- <9 IU/mL

Basically, my end said with my T3 being lowish and my T4 being high, it seemed like I wasn't converting (which low stomach acid/no gallbladder is a HUGE part of it, other stuff contributes), which is what our body is supposed to do. Both my thyroid antibodies tests came back negative, so that was a good thing for me, but definitely something for me to watch. Also, he said that my TSH coming down, but my T4 still being high told him I wasn't converting either. My T3 levels still being low. Me feeling like crap, all of it was part of deciding to add the T3 in. As far as I know, I won't retest until October at my next appt. Just wanted to share my numbers during the same timeframe for reference.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »

You're right. That is far too high.

Most people feel best when their TSH is between around 0.5 and 1.5, Free T4 in the upper half of the normal range, and Free T3 in the upper third of the normal range (over 75% may be too high for some).