Do You Do Protein Shakes?

Options
BreonnaQueen
BreonnaQueen Posts: 58 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Hey everyone! So I've been thinking about trying protein shakes... again.

I use to drink the Trader Joe protein shake and yeah that stuff tasted awful. I even tried mixing it with a banana and pb2 but I just couldn't choke it down.

Do you ladies have any protein powders you recommend? Preferably one that isn't chalked full of chemicals, doesn't have a crazy high amount of sugar/carbs, taste great and it isnt super-duper-omg-expensive? lol

I've been researching a few brands but would love some suggestions.

Replies

• jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I started using them about a year ago. I have one for my breakfast and it generally keeps me satisified until lunch. I've found "Gold Standard Whey- Chocolate" and Designer Whey- Vanilla to be pretty tasty. CAN"T Stand Sucralose. Each of these are sweetened with stevia.
  • rlehner
    rlehner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    BreonnaQueen, I have been using a program that incorporates shakes and cellular cleanse days as well. It has been super effective for me and my husband.

Can I send you a Private message?
  • bcbgfitqueen
    bcbgfitqueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    http://www.musclefeast.com/Whey-Isolate/

This is what me and my boyfriend use, the vanilla flavor. I have no complaints about the flavor and it is really one of the best, if not the best protein on the market in terms of processing, content, etc. It tastes even better with banana in it.

I have also used this protein

http://www.gnc.com/GNC-Total-Lean-Lean-Shake-25-Rich-Chocolate/product.jsp?productId=4394912&KPID=8472575&mr:trackingCode=362FA28D-1D3C-E311-89F9-BC305BF923E4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=172553465594&mr:tid=pla-172553465594&c3ch=PLA&mr:ploc=9014972&mr:ad=104095794314&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:device=c&mr:match=&CAWELAID=4394912&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:keyword=&c3nid=8472575&pla=pla_8472575&gclid=CMn33-bX8c0CFYSAaQodbYUDOA&eesource=CAPLA_DF:4394912:GNC

It is decent just has artificial flavors. I LOVE the taste of it though. If you go with this protein, DO NOT try the vanilla :expressionless:
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I like Premier, the carb count and sugar is very low, 30g of protein and they don't taste like death. I buy them at Costco because Canada but I think in America you can buy them other places.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use Musashi high protein powder the vanilla tastes great 30g protein, 9.5 carbs low fat, sugar and sodium. I have it after a weight session as suggested by a sports dietitian to help with muscle repair.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of the Nature's Best Isopure brand. Don't like their plain/unflavored whey protein, but the flavors are pretty good. My favs are Vanilla (to put into smoothies or drink alone), Dutch Chocolate, and Cookies & Cream (though this one sometimes doesn't blend as well in just water as the others do). The Vanilla and Cookies and Cream are both no-carb; the Dutch Chocolate is low carb (3g / serving). It does have sucralose, but that doesn't really bother me. The biggest negative to me is that I think the sodium is a bit high (480mg / serving).

I typically do a 1/2 serving at a time since one scoop is 25 g of protein, and a "serving" is 2 scoops. I will often do a smoothie in the morning, and then if I'm still low on protein for my macros for the day, just mix a scoop in a glass of water as a protein drink later in the day. I buy the big 3lb containers which are supposed to be 22 servings, but since I only use a scoop at time, I get 44 out of it. It is pricier than the other protein drinks I've tried, but worth it for something that tastes good. Sometimes you can catch it on sale at the various vitamin stores, so that helps with the price point, and I've seen even cheaper prices online from third party vendors.
  • motivatebby
    motivatebby Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Hydro-pro by Evochem. I mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It has GREAT macros and tastes pretty darn good as well. I've only used the chocolate but I'm thinking about getting a tub of the vanilla as well. I swear by this stuff.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition 100% whey in chocolate pretty much every day. Dissolves easily and tastes good. I usually make a simple smoothie with frozen berries and unsweetened almond milk to get in a serving of fruit.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    MY ALL TIME FAVORITE IS QUEST IN SALTED CARAMEL!. I ADD HALF A BANANA AND 1/2 CUP PINEAPPLE, COCONUT WATER 10 OUNCES, BLEND, PUT IN SMOOTHIE CONTAINER AND PUT IF FRIDGE FOR PART OF LUNCH. TOTAL CALORIES ABOUT 230. I ALSO LIKE LEAN SHAKE BURN FROM GNC AND AN AMPLIFIED WHEYBOLIC 60 CAESIN. BOTH IN VANILLA AND ADD FRUIT AND COCO WATER! ALL HAVE DIFFERENT PROTEIN GRAMS AND CARBS. ALL ARE FOUND ONLINE OR GNC.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid dairy (gives me better skin) so I tend to stick with vega brand. I like changing the flavour by adding in things like pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon because I try to eat fruit on an empty stomach for best digestion.
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do take protein shakes after doing a heavy weight lifting session, but if you have a good diet and eat enough meat they are super unnecessary because they're full of calories and sugar. Unless you're trying to promote muscle growth, I wouldn't use them to skip a meal.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I do take protein shakes after doing a heavy weight lifting session, but if you have a good diet and eat enough meat they are super unnecessary because they're full of calories and sugar. Unless you're trying to promote muscle growth, I wouldn't use them to skip a meal.

Not all of them are "full of sugar" and the protein powders I use are moderate calories (105-110 cal / half serving with 0-2 carbs).

Frankly, I found out that my chronic pain was actually a protein deficiency (instead of fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue like the doctors tried to tell me) because I don't get enough protein even with a good / balanced diet. I can't eat the amount of meat and stay within other macro goals to get the amount of protein I need. Protein powder is one way that I can get what I need in my diet to fight off the pain. But to each his own. We're all different.
  • MzKrystle
    MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a container today. Integrated Supplements Whey Isolate Protein . Apparently the planets purest protein. Not sure of thats true however tastes good so there's that. First time I've been able to enjoy protein powder mixed with water and nothing else.
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »

Not all of them are "full of sugar" and the protein powders I use are moderate calories (105-110 cal / half serving with 0-2 carbs).

Frankly, I found out that my chronic pain was actually a protein deficiency (instead of fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue like the doctors tried to tell me) because I don't get enough protein even with a good / balanced diet. I can't eat the amount of meat and stay within other macro goals to get the amount of protein I need. Protein powder is one way that I can get what I need in my diet to fight off the pain. But to each his own. We're all different.

I guess you didn't understand my comment. If you get enough protein, you don't need them. In your case, you don't get enough protein, so you do need them. Lots of them are full of sugar. Also, my point was they shouldn't be used to skip a meal they should be used for someone who doesn't get enough protein, like yourself. Thanks for getting all defensive though :) in your case you don't get enough protein from your diet, which my comment stated they're unnecessary if you DO get enough.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I use Orgain. It's vegan (I have problem with whey powders) and it tastes good! I've used both chocolate and vanilla bean and I like both. I usually add pb2 into the chocolate one with spinach or mixed berries and spinach into the vanilla bean. I use them as a breakfast meal replacement since I'm lazy in the mornings and I don't like to get up early enough to eat breakfast haha
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I've been thinking about trying protein shakes... again.

I use to drink the Trader Joe protein shake and yeah that stuff tasted awful. I even tried mixing it with a banana and pb2 but I just couldn't choke it down.

Do you ladies have any protein powders you recommend? Preferably one that isn't chalked full of chemicals, doesn't have a crazy high amount of sugar/carbs, taste great and it isnt super-duper-omg-expensive? lol

I've been researching a few brands but would love some suggestions.

That's actually a pretty tall order. A delicious tasting protein shake that's high in protein, low in calories, and made with high-quality ingredients is almost always going to set you back some money, as well it should. You get what you pay for, always!

I buy Trutein, it's by far the best-tasting out there, and had been consistently rated as such. It has tons of really good flavors, available in 2 or 5 lb tubs.

http://www.bodynutrition.com/product/trutein-whey-casein-egg-white/

You can even try single-serving sample packets, if you are on the fence about a certain flavor.

http://www.bodynutrition.com/samples/

Your protein is an investment in a good-looking, good-feeling body! Skimp elsewhere. :*
  • MaryOves
    MaryOves Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've never understood them. They taste horrible. I'd rather eat eggs with a side of spinach, and drink my Fiberwise. Delicious and fuller longer.
  • ramurray8
    ramurray8 Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I can't do whey, and in general find that plant-based protein shakes just don't taste as good as their whey cousins. This one from Whole Foods is pretty good though - I get the Chocolate cinnamon.

I usually mix with no sugar almondmilk + greens + nuts. It's not terribly exciting, but is easy to make in the morning and bring with me for a mid-workday snack.

Lately I've added pumpkin puree + banana.

Edited to add: I found this one by purchasing sample sizes from Whole Foods. They had a variety of one serving pouches and I tried a bunch of flavors. You may want to try that to find your best protein powder.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I use Eidopro unflavored protein. I get it from Amazon. It's 27g of protein for 110 calories, has about 6 BCAAs. I mix it in smoothies, or use one of those shake bottles and mix it with chocolate milk.

I've also been using GNC AMP Amplified Wheybolic Original protein powder in chocolate. It's 90 calories for 26.33g of protein. It's okay mixed with just water, but I mix mine with 2% milk or chocolate milk and it tastes good to me.

After I run out of the pouch of GNC, I'm going to try Opitimum Nutrition's Double Chocolate protein powder.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein shakes and I make my own with the Greenwise Chocolate protein powder from Publix with almond milk.