Carb nite?

Options
b1229
b1229 Posts: 57 Member
Curious has anyone done carb nite and did you get great results?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    could you explain a little more exactly what you mean?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I would never have a carb night, in that I eat a bunch of carbs. That would only work to throw me out of Ketosis, crave junk, and gain weight. But...ditto @Phrick...what exactly are you asking?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    For me, it would result in a terrible stomach ache and probably 5 pounds of scale weight.
  • b1229
    Options
    Someone got me the book and have just started reading it but basically you are on ultra low carbs and get 1 carb night, supposed to minipulate your hormones to burn more fat. I have done atkins before with great results but just started back after having baby and the weight has been slow coming off this time round.
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with "cheat days" or "carb days" with keto but when I was doing Paleo, a "cheat day turned into a cheat week or cheat 2 weeks before I was able to reign it in.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am not even trying to simulate a forbidden carb food because this is my new way of life. I will try new things, such as cauliflower pizza crust however. I feel that I am making good nutrition choices for myself now and don't want to sabotage any healing.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I eat for ketosis so a carb night would not be helpful. I'm diabetic too so it probably wouldn't be healthful either. Plus it would lead to another carb night and more cravings. ;)

Trifecta! (For the superfecta, throw in digestive turmoil....)

But even apart from ketosis, diabetes, gut aches, and the temptation-lined road to perdition, it sounds to me like pure baloney (with marshmallow creme, maple syrup, and coke.... oh, and minus the bologna).

Of course, the mere fact that something sounds like a gimmick to someone doesn't mean it is.

But really .... eat pizza and spaghetti for a night in order to manipulate your hormones into burning fat? :o

I'm not willing to throw the whole idea aside at the moment. Leanne Vogel at Healthful Pursuit just did a whole podcast in adding a carb up practice to a keto diet (podcast is the No Sugarcoating Podcast). It was interesting and she's done her homework - insofar as possible given how poor nutrition research is. If you check out the website she lists the studies she reviewed before starting this when strict keto wasn't working for her.

It is definitely a tool for someone to add to their diet arsenal but it wouldn't be something I would do lightly and depends on a lot of personal factors. If I was to try it, it would be in a strict way ie still no sugar or grains and a focus on high fiber vegetables (sweet potato, maybe a bit of corn, beets). Plus I'd want to feel very confident it didn't become a slippery slope. So in no way seeing it as a "cheat day" but rather as a higher carb day... Certainly interesting to think about.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Carb Nite Solutions by Jon Kiefer.
    Done it. It didn't work for me. I just maintained on it. However, I have a couple friends who are currently doing it, and have lost a lot of weight in a short time when nothing else worked. You need to read the book thoroughly. And be sure that it isn't something that is going to derail you completely. My friend has no trouble keeping the Carb Nite where it belongs and the duration that it should be.
  • b1229
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Carb Nite Solutions by Jon Kiefer.
    Done it. It didn't work for me. I just maintained on it. However, I have a couple friends who are currently doing it, and have lost a lot of weight in a short time when nothing else worked. You need to read the book thoroughly. And be sure that it isn't something that is going to derail you completely. My friend has no trouble keeping the Carb Nite where it belongs and the duration that it should be.

Ok thanks I will finish reading the book and see if it's something I should try had wanted to see if others had had success with it
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My guess is that how you deal with carbs will determine if it is successful or not. Insulin resistance can drive carb/sweet cravings because of the blood glucose swings. For people like that, like me, it might be a problem because you are jumping back on an unhealthy rollercoaster every week.

I am guessing that if LCHF feels like you are being deprrived, without any physical cravings, then it might work. For those who don't want to give up Oreos entirely but manage not to polish off the bag in hours, or a couple of days at the very least. I'm a food polisher so it wouldn't work well. Or would that be polish off'er? Anyways, a few months ago I increased carbs all the way up to around 50g per day (some days more and some less) and I am still pushing to keep my macros and calories on count whereas before it was pretty effortless.

And then there are people like my husband who can have just one cookie per day. It would probably work for him.

Let us know how it goes. :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't have the willpower for a program like that. A carb night would definitely turn into a carb week. Plus I'm diabetic, so it would cause havoc on my blood sugar. I've had the occasional cheat day, some intentional, some due to lack of self control, I can safely say that none of those occasions have been worth messing with my diet and I don't think anything that I ate tasted good enough to justify the decision in hindsight.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have not done a specific day to load up on carbs. Is carb nite another name for reload? I know some with eat very little carbs for 6 days and reload on carbs the final day. I'm on a low carb diet so not specifically keto. I make sure to eat plenty of quality fat and decent amount of protein. However I will have a low amount of carbs once or twice during the week. So far this has been working well for me and will stay with it.
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I feel like eating something but I think I'm just bored or craving something....idk what...carbs...bread? I can't put my finger on it. I ate a big salad with lots of chicken and deli meat...drank 8 cups of water already...my stomach feels full but my mind isn't satisfied. I'm on day #13 of eating lower carbs. It got easy but the last two days are sucking. Something I ate triggered this maybe.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    1TheQueenB wrote: »
    I feel like eating something but I think I'm just bored or craving something....idk what...carbs...bread? I can't put my finger on it. I ate a big salad with lots of chicken and deli meat...drank 8 cups of water already...my stomach feels full but my mind isn't satisfied. I'm on day #13 of eating lower carbs. It got easy but the last two days are sucking. Something I ate triggered this maybe.

Salt?
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options

Salt?

I ate salf? Or need salt?
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Salt?

Sorry. Maybe you need salt? Salt needs go way up once carbs are cut. Your electrolytes could be becoming low. Maybe try a salty bowl of broth and see if it hits the spot?
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @1TheQueenB I second nvmomketo in suggesting salt because when I felt that way, I'd dig into the pickles and feel satisfied in no time.
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options

Salt?

Sorry. Maybe you need salt? Salt needs go way up once carbs are cut. Your electrolytes could be becoming low. Maybe try a salty bowl of broth and see if it hits the spot?

Thanks!, I'll try that...I always said when I ate less junk and more water I felt like I was diluting something! 2 weeks......This is where I usually cave in. I'm trying to make a different choice than the bad ones in the past