Keto for cancer treatment/recovery

Options
2»

Replies

• neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    This thread is timely for me, as I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma three weeks ago. At that time, I was about two weeks into LCHF, and I immediately wondered, "Should I go back to my previous WOE?" The articles I have read about keto and cancer don't all agree that it is helpful, but everything I've read agrees that cancer cells thrive on glucose. That's all I needed to know to encourage me to continue restricting my carbs.

Surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it has not spread past the one area on my arm. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep enjoying HWC in my coffee, and all the other yummy low-carb stuff I get to eat every day.

If you want I can send you a link to a clinical trial that investigated a ketogenic diet on people who had run out of conventional options. It was sponsored by NIH. Basically more research needs to be done but I am not sure how you do that without locking people in a room and controlling their food.

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    neweuquol wrote: »
    If you want I can send you a link to a clinical trial that investigated a ketogenic diet on people who had run out of conventional options. It was sponsored by NIH. Basically more research needs to be done but I am not sure how you do that without locking people in a room and controlling their food.
    Sure, I'd love to read it. Thanks!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    This thread is timely for me, as I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma three weeks ago. At that time, I was about two weeks into LCHF, and I immediately wondered, "Should I go back to my previous WOE?" The articles I have read about keto and cancer don't all agree that it is helpful, but everything I've read agrees that cancer cells thrive on glucose. That's all I needed to know to encourage me to continue restricting my carbs.

Surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it has not spread past the one area on my arm. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep enjoying HWC in my coffee, and all the other yummy low-carb stuff I get to eat every day.

Sorry to hear that @MyriiStorm .

After two years of studying/testing cancer prevention/treatment protocols from Europe and Asia in case cancer should pop up in the family it seems many things like LCHF, Vit D3, MSM, PeakImmune 4, ashwagandha, Q-10, prayer/mediation/yoga and the list can go on forever show some promise in some people/animal research. Something that may be true for one may be the opposite for another.

The only common thread I have found is in most cases for some reason our eating/ lifestyles/other disease/meds have permitted our immune systems to fail to the point the cancer that is always forming in all people does not get mopped up daily.

So in short in my view anything that helps keeps our immune system strong protects against or may help recover from cancer BUT there is no black and white science that supports that so the AMA (USA) seems to only approve Rx meds.

So far I have not ran into any protocols that did me any harm and I found the items needed on Amazon.

Work with your doctors because Rx meds and natural treatments can be deadly if mixed or they could be synergistic. Read and goggle the subject if interested but do keep your doctors in the loop. Some do know about using food as medicine.

Best of success in your upcoming surgery. At the age of 65 I have decided there are few "knowns" in medicine or life in general.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you @MyriiStorm
    neweuquol wrote: »

I'd like to see that link too. Could you also please post it on this thread?
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I'd like to see that link too. Could you also please post it on this thread?

Did not know if that was permissible. I did not want to give the appearance I was giving medical advice :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That was interesting.

It looks like they used the classical ketogenic diet ((0% fat, 2% carbs, 8% protein) rather than nutritional ketogenic diets. I wonder if the higher protein, and slightly higher carbs, makes any difference in the diets helpful effects?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Just tagging on to say: "keep it up!". I've got benign astrocytoma, which is only benign in the sense that it doesn't metastasize. My strategy is to prevent lesions and inhibit the growth of tumors as much as possible. Research suggests that a ketogenic diet would be beneficial, coupled with a high level of ketones.