Low carb, no sweets, take aways or fizzy juice = weight gain?!

Options
kimkennedy89
kimkennedy89 Posts: 13 Member
I've been doing a low carb eating regime for 10 days now and have some how managed to gain 3lbs!!! I've had absolutely no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc, no take aways, sweets, crisps, alcohol, fizzy juice or chocolate at all. I've been drinking lots of water.

I've been eating eggs for breakfast (omelette, scrambled, boiled or poached) accompanied by a few rashers of bacon or sausage.
A salad for lunch with some cold meat or tuna. Dinner is meat with veggies and at night I sometimes snack on some cold meat and cheese.

Where am i going wrong? I feel really disheartened after being so good, I expected at least 1lb or 2 off

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Where are you in your monthly cycle?
    Have you started doing any new exercise?
    Have any injuries or muscle soreness of any kind?
    What do you drink besides water? Do you use water flavorings or artificial sweeteners? Is that a new thing?
    Do you have any metabolic conditions? PCOS, insulin resistance, hypoglycemia, T2 diabetes?
  • kimkennedy89
    Options
    I've about two weeks to go before my next period is due.
    Exercise is just lots of walking every day for me.
    No i haven't had muscle soreness or any injuries at all.
    I'm Only drinking plain water, i have a jug in the refrigerator filled with water with a lemon or lime in it to add some flavour.
    Previously I drank fizzy juice mostly but have been on this low carb eating regime for 10 days now.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You may just still be eating to much. LCHF foods tend to have less volume than higher carb meals, so your plate will most likely look emptier than it did before.

When I was eating about 1500kcal and losing I would have 2 eggs for breakfast and 1 slice of bacon. Later I had a coffee with a bit of coconut cream. Lunch would be something like a can of tuna,a stalk of celery and a tbs of mayo. Dinner was meat and veggie (like a burger patty with cheese and a 1/3c green beans with butter).

Your current menu sounds like it may be more like my maintenance menu (of 2000-2500 calories). Are you logging your foods?

If you are measuring, weighing and logging your food, and the calorie count is good, I would just hang in there. Sometimes even when we do everything right it takes the body a while to let go of the weight. Plus the issues Sunny Bunny listed above will affect things too.
  • kimkennedy89
    Options
    I'm currently eating 1,350 calories per day and logging all of my food. Maybe I am still eating too much though...I naturally assumed when changing to a healthier eating regime and cutting calories that I would have dropped a little weight.
    I do feel better within myself though, more energetic, sleeping better and I'm feeling less bloated due to the low carb part.
    I will persevere and look at cutting my calorie intake.
    Thanks! :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    1350 kcal is pretty reasonable. I wouldn't cut much if you do cut calories. It might be better to try playing with your macros. Some find cutting carbs or increasing protein or fat helps get the scale moving. I found that varying my caloric intake seemed to help (1000kcal one day and 2000kcal the next - just based on hunger).

Weighing and measuring foods can help too. Some foods we estimate wrong. Others, like an egg, are never wrong. ;)

Glad you are feeling better! :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    All of the above are great suggestions. My advice would be to simply stick with it. My weight tends to come off in stages. You might experience a "whoosh" of weight loss when your body feels ready.

Another thought I have is to try to limit your intake of processed meats. I can't eat too much bacon and I avoid processed lunch meats almost altogether. If I want to snack on cold meat, I will eat cold leftover roast beef or pork that I've cooked myself, or even cold sliced meatloaf or something like that. It's got no msg, nitrates, hidden sugars and excess salt etc. I use bacon more like a flavouring for my eggs and I don't eat it everyday. Take a look at the ingredients in your sausage too, there might be ingredients in there that your body is sensitive to. I buy sausages that are just made with ground pork and spices, no fillers. Or I make my own sausage patties myself, out of ground pork or turkey.

I haven't looked at your diary or anything like that, but think that your calorie intake is good. I can't eat too many calories if I want to lose weight, even though I eat LCHF. In the beginning, I ate 3 meals per day, but soon found that if I ate eggs with butter for breakfast, and meat and veggies for supper, with lots of fat, I wasn't hungry for lunch, so I skipped lunch. I now skip breakfast and lunch and only eat one very satisfying meal per day, at supper.

I still want to lose more weight, but my weight loss has slowed now. The main benefit I have noticed with this woe, is that I feel satisfied, I am not hungry, desperately searching for the next snack. I am maintaining my weight loss for the first time in my life, and that feels great! I feel healthier and more energetic than ever before.

Don't despair, just keep at it. You will notice over time, just how your body reacts to different foods or feeding patterns. It took me a while to reach this state. All the best to you !
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Sausage is known to have fillers and "hidden" sugars (dextrose, "brown rice syrup", etc.). I love sausage, so I either buy pure ground pork and season it myself at home to make patties, or I only buy the stuff known to not have any fillers or any ingredients other than pork, salt, and herbs/spices.

It could be you're taking in more carbs than needed as well. I love love love my vegetables and have a bit of a hard time keeping them to small quantities. When you have a low amount of carbs but still not low enough, and eating lots of fat and some protein, you're basically eating high calorie carbs. How are your fats? Just from your short post, it sounds like your meats might be too lean. I cook with butter, coconut oil, lard, olive oil, bacon fat, try any of those - any time you cook or saute anything, add a tablespoon or two, of one or more of those. Try to add some avocados, macadamia nuts, cashews, or almonds for less protein and good amount of fat.

Also, be wary that more protein than is necessary can create sugar, which turns into fat, very quickly...you could be gaining that way.

You might have enough salt in your diet, but make sure you're drinking a lot of water, to balance it out. You could simply have gained water retention from the added sodium in the diet, which I have struggled with, regardless of where I am in my menstrual cycle.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would say stick with it for at least another week. What are your protein to fat ratios? It almost sounds like you're not eating enough fat.

Another thing you can try is to eat less frequently. Allow at least a full 5 hours between meals. Once your body is adapted to burning fat for fuel you can start trying intermittent fasting . I do that. I skip breakfast. have my first meal at noon and last food by 6pm and fast from 6pm to noon the next day. I eat about 1400-1700 calories a day and am losing well.