All I want to eat is meat

Options
dancing_daisy
dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
Is it ok that all that I feel like eating is meat? I don't know why I feel like this. Should I be worried?

I've been eating Keto since March with the odd bread bun and pizza slip up. The latest one was last Saturday when I struggled to pull something together for breakfast and ended up with hard boiled egg on a bread bun.
Trying to get back into Keto so thought then and thought my craving for meat was a good thing, I didn't fancy the veg so stuck just to the meat. But its been nearly a week and thats ALL I want to eat. I love lots of Keto friendly food but I'm eating meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner without any knowledge on how to supplement this.

People who do zero carbs live almost exclusively on animal products? How do you go about this safely?

Replies

• Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have just started doing Zero Carb for July and I love it, you literally eat as much meat to fill you up and drink water, you can still eat cheese and eggs, and HWC nothing from anything else needed. Take a look at this website gives you a lot of good information.

https://zerocarbzen.com/

Its a great website, although not all of it is relevant to me, it is very liberating too - I have lost all cravings and although I have had one slip up, I still feel amazing.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the resource! Much appreciated!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Yep, agree with @kathrout1973. There is absolutely nothing wrong with only wanting to eat meat and/or going pure carnivore while doing Keto. One of our group members @FitGoat does that and it works for him so why not you too?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    As long as you make sure you're getting fatty meats or adding enough fats to your meats, absolutely no reason it can't work... See the above reference!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    And don't cook the meat half to death.
    Ok, it technically has to be dead....
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    And don't cook the meat half to death.
    Ok, it technically has to be dead....

This. Plus, I also tend to dump most rendered fat right back on top of whatever I just cooked. So delicious.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I encourage most people to read "The Fat of the Land." There's a PDF copy of it on the site that's already been mentioned. I'll link to the page it's on.

https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/04/20/the-fat-of-the-land-by-vilhjalmur-stefansson/

This is the book that got me started. It addresses almost every imaginable concern, especially when it comes to safety and health. The book also covers the year-long experiment Stefansson did under medical supervision eating just meat. The results are not surprising, at least to those of us eating the carnivore was ourselves. Despite having no dietary source of vitamin C, the guys don't get scurvy. They don't develop any issues at all. Nothing bad happens.

The book does a lot better of covering all these things, and it's amusing to find out that the same myths about diets of meat-only have existed since the early 1900s. It's a great read.

If you're craving meat only, then just eat meat. You're not missing out on anything. You might experience some slow-down when it comes to bathroom habits, but it's just because meat is almost completely absorbed and there's less moving through the system all the way til the end.

We're here if you have any questions or concerns. I have sent you a friend request. Feel free to message me or post here. I am always on here.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That bathroom thing is definitely the truth. I barely hit the head for that end more than once per week and a half, though I definitely make up for it with the number of times that I have to pee.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link, @FIT_Goat. I am going to check that out!

I went on a low carb diet break last week while on vacation. I was worried that indulging in all those carbs would make my cravings worse, but by the end of the week I was just craving meat like crazy. Now I'm back home and I just want all the meat!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have just started doing Zero Carb for July and I love it, you literally eat as much meat to fill you up and drink water, you can still eat cheese and eggs, and HWC nothing from anything else needed. Take a look at this website gives you a lot of good information.

https://zerocarbzen.com/

Its a great website, although not all of it is relevant to me, it is very liberating too - I have lost all cravings and although I have had one slip up, I still feel amazing.

Same here! :smiley:
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I would love to do just meat/zero carb, but I think I already take in more than enough protein, and being diabetic, I don't want the excess protein to morph into glucose in my body.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    I would love to do just meat/zero carb, but I think I already take in more than enough protein, and being diabetic, I don't want the excess protein to morph into glucose in my body.

If you eat the right cuts of meat, fat to protein balances out. When I ate nothing but 80/20 ground beef for a week, I hit a perfect ratio of 72% fat to 28% protein. You could push it even further by eating 73/27 ground beef.

Generally, all meat is doable as long as you avoid lean cuts. Skin on chicken thighs and drumsticks, fatty beef and pork, oily fish. No game, which tends to be lean.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Hey..... I love wild meat..... It is so good for you. I love deer, moose, elk, etc.... I've still got some black bear in the freezer and some caribou. You can always cook it in fat or add fat to your dish. I cook in bacon fat and put butter on top of just about everything.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Hey..... I love wild meat..... It is so good for you. I love deer, moose, elk, etc.... I've still got some black bear in the freezer and some caribou. You can always cook it in fat or add fat to your dish. I cook in bacon fat and put butter on top of just about everything.

I like game too, was just pointing out that it's generally very lean, since I was responding to a post where the issue was too much protein relative to fat, with meat.

I find adding fat to leaner meats still leaves my ratios off vs eating a cut of meat that comes with all the fat I want/need built in, unless I just add a ton and usually I'd rather just have the built in fatiness, for flavor and texture :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I find adding fat to leaner meats still leaves my ratios off vs eating a cut of meat that comes with all the fat I want/need built in, unless I just add a ton and usually I'd rather just have the built in fatiness, for flavor and texture :)
    I'll definitely agree with that part. You'll never be able to butter a sirloin into a ribeye. ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »

My issues with hyperinsulinemia (too much insulin) and its losing battle with blood sugar actually corrected itself after a couple of months on meat-only, and I ate/eat all sorts of meat. I went from fasting numbers of 18-33 units of insulin and 100 mg/dL of glucose to 12 units insulin and 80 mg/dL glucose in that time.

As mentioned, don't try to live on skinless chicken breast (if you have it, douse it in butter like you would with shrimp, and eat the skin), but most other stuff is fair game -- yes, even wild game. My primary meat is actually bison, the ground of which is typically rated about 90/10, but cook it up in butter and top with some cheese and sour cream if you want, and it's delicious and doesn't throw the fat to protein ratio off to the point that you're fearing.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I tend to have more of a problem reaching my protein goal, fat is the easy one for me.... I do love my butter...Plus I eat what I have on hand.... I buy the whole animal, or half an animal usually at a time, so I have a taste for all cuts and just cook accordingly. Never have boneless, skinless anything in the house.