Strength Training Apps

Options
Jalyn77
Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
I'd like to find an app to track my strength training sessions. Currently I use a small spiral notebook, but I'm trying to reduce the number of items I have to carry around the gym with me. I'd love to know what apps you have used and why you like them. I'd like to be able to create a routine in the app where I can track my weight, sets, and reps and see how I am progressing.

Replies

• modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just started using Strong and really like it. I originally downloaded the free version, but soon upgraded (and I never do that with apps lol). I program my own workouts in and it tracks sets and reps and weights. It shows what I lifted the last time I did that exercise and I can add to the exercise database. It times my workouts and also puts them on a calendar.

You can even add cardio/yoga sessions (by duration) just to have that history. The most amusing feature is that you can add a photo to any completed workout. Nothing like a sweaty selfie to keep you motivated lol
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm using StrongLifts 5x5 and really like the app
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I used Jefit for a while - it seemed fine, but I also didn't utilize it all that much. I ended up reverting to the notebook method out of laziness.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use Rep Count. You can name each workout and keep track of all lifts. It keeps data for your PRs as well.
  • elzianne
    elzianne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I second the Strong app. I love it! I was carrying a notebook around before using it. The only thing is I think it's only available for iPhones... I don't think it's on the Google Play store :disappointed:
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I use Google sheets. Its great if you're a finicky data junkie like me. As a basic spreadsheet, its completely customizable and easy to manipulate, but prob not as user-friendly as a dedicated app.
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    +1 for google sheets. Been awesome for me.
  • Jalyn77
    Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will look these up and give them a try. :)
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm using Simple Workout Log :)
  • nnwojnar
    nnwojnar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am using Body Space right now. I like it, but I think I am going to be doing Strong Lifts once I finish the 12 week program I am on :).
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Using JEFIT!
  • charlenegrichard
    charlenegrichard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like bodybuilding.com/bodyspace
  • KristiRhea
    KristiRhea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do those apps give you an idea of how many calories you've burned? I've been putting my sets and reps into MFP, but I only earn calories for the cardio. :-/
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM + app during my lifting sessions, but there's a lot of debate on whether the calories burned during resistance training is accurate, not to mention lots of variability between apps and calculation methods. Try using this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/