Marathon training and weight loss

Options
gorple76
gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
I know, I know, it's really hard to lose weight whilst training for a marathon, and so far I'm proving that point admirably by putting on several pounds since I started training. But I really want to lose 10 pounds if possible before October as my knees get sore and my pace is not great. I think I'd feel generally swifter and more confident for the big day. So, any good news stories and/or advice out there?!

Replies

• gorple76
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    Slow and steady, a 350-500 calorie deficit is really all you need to maintain. You are just about exactly where i'm at with 8 lbs to lose for an October Marathon. What i've found works the best is to eat at maintenance on the rest days and easy/low mileage days, for me that is 5 miles or less. This gives me my rest day and 2 other days to eat a little more to fuel for my harder/longer runs. I can't run my long run well if I didn't eat well the day before. On the days i've got a lot of miles to run it's pretty easy to eat at a 300-700 calorie deficit. Yesterdays 17 mile run burned 2200 calories, plus my typical calorie day of 2100 gave me over 4000 calories to play with. It's too hard for me to eat good quality foods and get that many calories, so i was under 900 yesterday and felt plenty full. Today is a rest day so i'll eat normal, then tomorrow is 9 miles so i'll be able to stay a few hundred calories under for the day and so on.

One thing i've also found is you'll typically add a few pounds back on during taper, so before that last week of heavy training try to get 2-3 pounds under your goal. Since the start of my base phase in early May I've cut 7 lbs this way.

Thank you. I think this is just what I need to hear. I often read that it's not possible and then use that as an excuse to over eat. I think I need to focus more, not get side tracked and talk myself out of it, and accept that it'll be hard but totally worth it come race day. Good luck with your training btw!
  • christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a marathon in October and need a few lbs off my then. How's it going for you?
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm only training for a half-marathon, but I have found that when I stay within my calorie limit and choose my foods wisely, I run so much faster and have more endurance. It's tempting to gorge especially after a run, but my performance really does suffer if I go over consistently. Good luck! Stay the course! :-)
  • gorple76
    Options
    I have a marathon in October and need a few lbs off my then. How's it going for you?

The training is going ok, but the eating is still terrible. It's incredible really when you work out how much you burn when you're doing 30+ miles per week, that you can still eat enough to not lose a single pound!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gorple76 wrote: »

The training is going ok, but the eating is still terrible. It's incredible really when you work out how much you burn when you're doing 30+ miles per week, that you can still eat enough to not lose a single pound!

i was training for a half marathon from January to May and didn't lose a single pound...

i was rungry!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

That weekly mileage would give me (at~150lbs) just 500 calories/day more. I can blow that out without trying in 5 minutes. And you get the runger...
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I can easily put on weight running 60+ miles per week and doing some cycling! I'm small and greedy though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I can easily put on weight running 60+ miles per week and doing some cycling! I'm small and greedy though.

I'm just greedy! :smirk:
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 20 by October. Having a tough time cause of being rungry. Idk what to eat to prevent it.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady, a 350-500 calorie deficit is really all you need to maintain.

This is really what I found that works AND a more precise daily measurement of your actual calorie count. I've used the Weight Loss Calculator Spreadsheet maintained by @heybales along with a lot of data I've accumulated. My target daily deficit deficit is 325-350 calories.

I eat a relatively steady diet with some variation in daily calorie intake on running days. Based upon the last 6 months of data, the spreadsheet has projected a TDEE of ~3,150 calories/day while I am was going through the completion of a training cycle, recovery, and the beginning of a new cycle. Some days are higher or lower, but I keep track of them.

The end result, however, is that my weight dropped from 180 pounds (after Thanksgiving and Christmas weight gain) down to 165-168 which is where my weight is floating now. Whether I take my weight down another 5 pounds is something I am considering. But the combination of weight loss and conditioning has made for my fastest times in most races.

And my last marathon on a very hilly course was a real cruise. I wasn't trying to set a PR. I was just enjoying a day of running with several thousand people. So, when I crossed the line just 3:20 off of my PR pace, I realized the benefits.

It is not easy, but it is worthwhile.

• gorple76
    Options
    STrooper wrote: »

This is really what I found that works AND a more precise daily measurement of your actual calorie count. I've used the Weight Loss Calculator Spreadsheet maintained by @heybales along with a lot of data I've accumulated. My target daily deficit deficit is 325-350 calories.

I eat a relatively steady diet with some variation in daily calorie intake on running days. Based upon the last 6 months of data, the spreadsheet has projected a TDEE of ~3,150 calories/day while I am was going through the completion of a training cycle, recovery, and the beginning of a new cycle. Some days are higher or lower, but I keep track of them.

The end result, however, is that my weight dropped from 180 pounds (after Thanksgiving and Christmas weight gain) down to 165-168 which is where my weight is floating now. Whether I take my weight down another 5 pounds is something I am considering. But the combination of weight loss and conditioning has made for my fastest times in most races.

And my last marathon on a very hilly course was a real cruise. I wasn't trying to set a PR. I was just enjoying a day of running with several thousand people. So, when I crossed the line just 3:20 off of my PR pace, I realized the benefits.

Have you got a link to the spreadsheet? I'm still struggling and really need to pin this down!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    STrooper wrote: »

Have you got a link to the spreadsheet? I'm still struggling and really need to pin this down!

The first spreadsheet link on my profile page is a lot simpler one if you don't like having fun with numbers.
    May have to tweak things after you see results after a month.

If you do like stats, then the detailed one can be useful, just suggest staying on Simple Setup and Progress tabs.
    After viewing sample data in yellow cells, delete it all and put in your own that you happen to have.
    HRM tab actually may be helpful also to have your stats, and look through.

Weight Loss Calculator spreadsheet (updated 1/5/14) for BMR/TDEE deficit methods, HRM info, macro setup, MFP tweaking, all to maximize deficit and benefit of exercise done and retain muscle mass:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • gorple76
    Options
    Thank you! Will have a play around. I quite like numbers when planning and evaluating my running, so maybe this will give me the boost I need to sort my nutrition.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    So I used the spreadsheet for myself but I am confused because I am afraid I don't know what any of these numbers mean. I am not used to TDEE, I am used to whatever myfitnesspal tells me. Can somebody help me out?

Says my BMR is 1919
    My TDEE - 3352

10% Deficit for last 10 lbs 335
    15% Deficit 503
    20% Deficit for over 60 lbs 670

Total Daily Eating Goal (TDEG) 10% 3017
    Total Daily Eating Goal (TDEG) 15% 2849
    Total Daily Eating Goal (TDEG) 20% 2682

Thank you
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Focus on a lot of easy pace miles which will utilize fat as fuel. If you have too many training miles that go into the anaerobic zone, you will burn more glycogen which will have you consuming more carbs to replace (or else you begin to feel too sluggush).

Transforming your body from being a carb burner to a fat burner will in general take time to adjust and your runs will seem sluggush anyway in the mean time. Just keep at it and focus on getting the miles in and don't worry about the pace. In time, your body will react and you won't feel as sluggush.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    So I used the spreadsheet for myself but I am confused because I am afraid I don't know what any of these numbers mean. I am not used to TDEE, I am used to whatever myfitnesspal tells me. Can somebody help me out?

Says my BMR is 1919
    My TDEE - 3352

15% Deficit 503

Thank you

Im 220 trying to get back under 200 by end of August btw
  • heybales
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »

Says my BMR is 1919
    My TDEE - 3352

15% Deficit 503

Thank you

Background in case it's needed.
    MFP starts out with BMR also (same formula based on gender, age, weight, height), multiplies by a non-exercise activity factor based on your selection of activity level (in spreadsheet, that is the lower section with work/life descriptions).

This results in an estimated daily calorie burn for maintaining if all you did was that activity level. Known as TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). In this case with no exercise.
    They then remove 250, 500, 750, 1000 calories based on your weight loss speed selection.
    And there's your eating goal for non-exercise days.

When you workout - you add the exercise, your daily burn goes up since that's what happened, deficit is still in there for new eating goal which is higher.

The spreadsheet is almost doing the same thing - except planned exercise is included in the weekly average instead of the day it's actually done. Hence the upper section asking about exercise.

This gives a static eating goal, instead of dynamic. Some people like eating the same daily for planning purposes.
    And if that eating goal is less than you burn on average - then you lose fat weight.
    So you pick a reasonable deficit amount.
    You set MFP to your own custom eating goal.
    And in this case do NOT log exercise when done - merely make a wall post about your workouts.

Some like the fact exercise is planned for also - may inspire more. Some like the daily increase in eating goal more, inspires them more.
    If the deficit amount is the same - they both will end up with the same result on average.

The only potential kicker of doing this average weekly TDEE method, is if you have smaller workouts during the week and a big 1-2 days a week of huge workout.
    That could raise your average TDEE such that on the big workout day you actually have a big deficit, and are actually very hungry for a very good reason.

To edit:
    Lose the last 20 lbs in a month (tad less) - unrealistic.
    Actually, even if you include intentionally doing something foolish to lose muscle mass - still not realistic.

You could easily do the right things to make it appear you lost 10 or more lbs though - if interested.

But 5lbs weekly - you'll stress out over never seeing it and actually gain stress water weight - so reset your future goal is best solution.
  • heybales
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Focus on a lot of easy pace miles which will utilize fat as fuel. If you have too many training miles that go into the anaerobic zone, you will burn more glycogen which will have you consuming more carbs to replace (or else you begin to feel too sluggush).

Transforming your body from being a carb burner to a fat burner will in general take time to adjust and your runs will seem sluggush anyway in the mean time. Just keep at it and focus on getting the miles in and don't worry about the pace. In time, your body will react and you won't feel as sluggush.

The other nice thing about this method - usually less stressful and injury prone to the body anyway.
    Slowing down to speed up - because you will speed up in general once body is trained.
  • Robbnva
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My bad. Not end of August. End of October lol.

Thank you

Edit - so if I put in the numbers from the spreadsheet I just wouldn't track my exercise right? Except my long run day of course cause that would be outside the norm by a lot