Kidney Function

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
My mom called me last night and said she thinks I should get my kidney function tested. She's concerned because I'm eating under 20 carbs a day and is worried about my kidneys. My aunt is also doing LCHF but eats a few more carbs than I do and gets a dr to do her lab levels etc
Do you think it's worth it or not?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I would say that having a baseline kidney function isn't a bad thing, but as long as that other 80% isn't protein, (20% if you're not doing much working out, up to 35-40% if you're working out and not at much deficit), you're not likely at too terrible much "automatic" risk, though there is always SOME risk. The main concerns (in my opinion) with low carbing and high protein (and generally low/moderate fat) stems from the distorted way Atkins as been changed up in recent years...protein isn't unlimited for anyone, expect maybe Olympic body builders, and even that's debatable...
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I don't know I may just do it before I start trying for baby 2.0 to just get a baseline and make sure everything is okay.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Basically, in my opinion, unless you have other risk factors/family history, are chronically dehydrated, or have any symptoms, I don't think it is necessary, but if it will get your mom to be satisfied with the test and supportive (again?), I'm all for that. But I agree - having all the data before working on a new baby is always a good idea.
  • missourinurse
    missourinurse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The two most important things you can do to protect your kidney function are to follow a low-protein diet (no more than 10-15 percent of calories from protein), and never allow yourself to become dehydrated. Try to drink six to eight glasses of fluids daily, water or mostly water in the form of hot or iced caffeine-free teas or mineral water (flavored or unflavored – but not sweetened).
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Gallowmere is correct - which means it's really easy to tell if you are overdoing the protein. You should also know that eating 'too much' protein is actually pretty hard and takes a specific focus along with a lack of proper hydration. 10-15% protein is far too low for optimal health at any healthy level of calorie consumption, and especially if eating at a deficit.

1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass if you exercise intensely, .8 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass of you're mildly active or sedentary.

The fear of protein created by Dean Ornish to make room for more "healthy" carbs back in the 70's is a real shame.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The two most important things you can do to protect your kidney function are to follow a low-protein diet (no more than 10-15 percent of calories from protein), and never allow yourself to become dehydrated. Try to drink six to eight glasses of fluids daily, water or mostly water in the form of hot or iced caffeine-free teas or mineral water (flavored or unflavored – but not sweetened).

Who says you need to restrict your protein that much for kidney function? I've read that you might need to restrict protein if you have kidney disease. Recent studies suggest that the old recommendations for protein weren't high enough for a lot of people, like people who exercise and older people who are prone to sarcopenia.

Also, coffee and tea can be counted in your fluid intake, which is good news for a lot of people.
    http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Out on a limb here...are you taking any meds that may impair kidney function? That's always something to think about too. Normal doses of meds won't hurt kidney function for most of us, but if we have other impairments, issues, processes etc. going on then it is something to consider. So is your mom concerned because you take X medication and are LCHF?

@lithezebra I agree.
    @Gallowmere1984 I agree.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I'm on BCP, Zrytec, Prenatal, and Effexor XR
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Mussourinurse* is correct for people who may have kidney issues, like CKD.

A renal blood test is cheap, and will confirm where you are, just in case there IS an issue you know nothing about. 26-31 Million adults in the USA do have kidney disease, and have NO idea until they are at Stage 3-4 and panic.

So before starting a LCHF diet, specifically, since so many focus on meat and fewer veggies it is very worth doing. Even tho LC is "moderate" protein most Americans over consume protein anyway, and MAY see LCHF as a chance to eat more. (my experience from those not in this group)

As someone WITH CKD I do follow a modified verylow protein, but high fat diet with approval of my nephrologist. I have only one kidney, and since I keep to <40 protein a day I do take essential Amino Acids designed for kidney patients... My LCHF VLP diet is vegetarian based, with limited cheese, eggs, hemp protein, nuts.and it works for me with no loss or wasting of muscle mass.

Prolly your mom got the idea somewhere connecting kidneys to Adkins or high protein ( in error)

To restate: HEALTHY kidney have no problem processing meat protein in the diet, but with LCHF protein moderation and hydration is still recommended.

*The two most important things you can do to protect your kidney function are to follow a low-protein diet (no more than 10-15 percent of calories from protein), and never allow yourself to become dehydrated.