Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    3 month break? Lol.

• ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    @saranharm that wouldn't be a bad idea I guess!!! With all kinds of traveling, cookouts, summer festivities, it probably would be smart!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    A lot of people find in the summer months their activity level increases, therefore your calorie level should increase as well.. Id say if what was working for you while working, then increase your cals by a couple hundred during the summer and see what happens:)
    If anything, the summer is a good time to take a Maintenance break and eat at TDEE:)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I think I do less in the summer :D too hot!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I'm like saranharm, I think I do less too. Lol I have more time to veg and relax. Certain days of the week are busy busy busy but others we stay home and don't do much.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    My activity is not consistent in the summer like it is during school
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I wonder if it's also because of the consistency of your school year schedule. Since your schedule is not really dictated by you, there isn't much deviation.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I wonder that too @saranharm. You and I have talked about that. So then how do I figure out what to do during the summer?!? (If I ever decide to cut at any point during the summer) I even cut back exercise during the school year to 4x instead of 6x and still lost weight. I feel like during the summer I need to workout more time for 6x week. Ugh!!!! It sucks! Lol
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Do I decrease calories?!? I don't think I could...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    All kinds of reasons your body gains water weight in the summer, especially if exercise increases.

Water volume in general - blood volume specifically - because of the heat, and sometimes sweating more doesn't even matter.
    You experience more heat, so body just prepares.

That could easily mask a month or more of fat loss.

What happened to inches during that time of increased workouts, less daily activity, but same eating level?
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @heybales i stopped measuring. I feel even though I tried to be consistent as to where I was measuring it wasn't really being consistent. If that makes sense!

I was eating the same amount all around (in the summer and when going back to work) and I know that is part of the problem b/c eating the same and being less active isn't going to get me anywhere. At least that's what I think! Lol so I need to find out what works for me during the summer: decrease food or increase exercise? The exercise part I've kinda already done...working out 6x week instead of 4x. So should I increase the time of each workout session? I feel I'm eating too much for my activity level over the summer.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @ambsnic17 I don't think you should increase exercise or decrease your calories. The issue you are having is with your NEAT calories (non exercise caloric burn). Is there a way you could try to become a bit more active throughout the day? (In the days you are not so busy, at least).

If you only focus on the scale and are strength training, you will see it go up. So avoid the scale and the stress.Your body will use the surplus to eventually build muscle, which is not a bad idea, it's an excellent thing. Would you consider doing a bulk in the summer months or body recomposition instead of a cut? You could gain muscle mass and once the school year starts and you are more active, you would focus on a cut, aiming to lose body fat and keeping the muscle you gained.

How much is your TDEE and how many calories are you eating?

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    I was reading this article on plateaus and thought about the questions you were asking about plateaus a few months ago: http://eatmore2weighless.com/workout-or-diet-plateau/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I like Teresa's idea. Lift heavy, get PRs in the summer. Enjoy the slow pace of life. Cut during the crazy, frantic school year.
  • TerezaToledo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's the same idea of bulking from Halloween or Thanksgiving until New Year's. Bulk a little in the summer (it's a bulk phase, not an everything goes event, macros and calories count, it just means that you eat at TDEE or a bit above and stop worrying about the scale), cut once school starts than mini bulk again for the holidays. Cut again in January. May sound crazy, but paired with a good strength training program will fire up your metabolism and results will follow. Make a plan, be consistent and trust the process! Read this for bulking and cutting http://eatmore2weighless.com/q-a-bulkinghow-long-when-to-cut/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Ya I think I was crazy in thinking of doing a cut during the summer. WTF was I thinking! LOL. School starts back up in September, thats when I think I'll do a cut. Enjoy the rest of the time :)
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My increased activity in the summer makes a cut quite natural.
    Whereas the winter months = less activity, more comfort carbs, loose woolly clothes
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    @heybales i stopped measuring. I feel even though I tried to be consistent as to where I was measuring it wasn't really being consistent. If that makes sense!

I was eating the same amount all around (in the summer and when going back to work) and I know that is part of the problem b/c eating the same and being less active isn't going to get me anywhere. At least that's what I think! Lol so I need to find out what works for me during the summer: decrease food or increase exercise? The exercise part I've kinda already done...working out 6x week instead of 4x. So should I increase the time of each workout session? I feel I'm eating too much for my activity level over the summer.

Most measurement methods - like those that estimate bodyfat % - aren't going for a specific spot to be measured - rather minimum or maximum girth for a body part.
    Abdomen at belly button being only exception.

Therefore as you lose, where the tape goes may indeed move from last time - and it's supposed to.
    The only thing is keeping the tape level or perpendicular to the body part being measured.
    That may be obvious and easy on say the forearm or calf, harder but not impossible on waist (minimum girth), or hips (maximum girth).

I'd start measuring again.

And you are correct about the life lesson.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less.

You want to lose fat - you eat less than you burn
    You want to gain muscle/fat - eat more
    You want to recomp/maintain - eat same as you burn

Methods mentioned above are great way to get around that fact of changes of activity level and eating level.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I may just eat at maintenance during the summer. It does make sense with all the festivities that go on. During the school year it's so much easier to watch food intake b/c of being busy and not having food on hand like at home during the summer. I have about 3.5 weeks left of summer so i better enjoy while I can ;-)

My lifting heavy is nothing compared to you ladies-I have a barbell plus 30 lb plate total. So I feel like my weight loss/recomp is going to take FOREVER.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @TerezaToledo thanks for the link reference. It was helpful :-)