Apple Watch "Indoor Workout" not logging time correctly

ldaniels8080
ldaniels8080 Posts: 5 Member
Hi - not sure if anyone is still here in this group, but am taking a shot anyhow.

I have been logging my treadmill workouts using the "Indoor workout". Yesterday and today (July 4 & 5) it seems to have stopped logging about half of the workout. The timer says it is still running and that I did 30 minutes, but when it syncs with the activity app, it only says 16 minutes (even though I was swinging my arm and at my target heart rate zone the full time).

BUT, here's the kicker, it synchs the full 30 minutes up to MFP. (It's just reporting incorrectly to the activity app and denying me my full exercise ring for the day).

It was working fine up until yesterday. I restated all my apps, my phone and my watch, but still no luck.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    It doesn't think your heart rate was high enough. If you think it was, tighten the wrist strap
  • ldaniels8080
    Annaskiski - thank you. I did try that. Maybe next time I will try the heart strap that comes with the machine. Maybe it was misreading my heart rate. I thought when you put it in workout mode that it didn't matter so much. I thought that it would "auto detect" activity above a brisk walk, but if you put it in workout mode, it would track the whole exercise duration and adjust calories burned according to heart rate. I don't know....there isn't much information that I can find to confirm that. But I was above my target heart rate every time I checked, so .... strange.
  • annaskiski
    It will always count your entire workout as "movement", but not necessarily exercise.
    It's only exercise if your heart rate is above (110?, couldn't find the exact number).
    If I run at lunch, the watch will count the entire run as exercise. Sometimes I walk with a friend instead. On our walks, it usually only counts about 15 min of our 1hour walk as 'exercise'. (Just the hills I believe).

I usually have to jump rope at home later if I really want to fill the ring....
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Two things might help as well as the heart rate advise. Make sure your watch has been calibrated with an outdoor 20 minute walk. Re-calibrate regularly. The other recommendation I found on Apple Support is to use 'other' rather than 'indoor walk or run'. I use the 'other' for the treadmill. It works nicely and will adjust calories burned according to heart rate.
  • annaskiski
    Why 'other' instead of indoor walk?
  • ldaniels8080
    Thanks all. I decided to just let the tracker do its thing and measure when it felt I deserved the exercise. So far, so good. I read that the "other" workout was designed so you can set it, take the watch off and go swimming (since the watch is not waterproof) and that it just assumes you were doing something brisk for the whole duration. I am not sure it uses your heart rate on the "other" setting.
  • annaskiski
    Thanks all. I decided to just let the tracker do its thing and measure when it felt I deserved the exercise. So far, so good. I read that the "other" workout was designed so you can set it, take the watch off and go swimming (since the watch is not waterproof) and that it just assumes you were doing something brisk for the whole duration. I am not sure it uses your heart rate on the "other" setting.

WOW! awesome! Did not know this.
    I swim every day, and was sad that I couldn't fill my exercise ring if I did that as my exercise for the day.
    Thank you!
  • annaskiski
    Unless I'm doing something wrong, this doesn't work. If you take the watch off to swim, the workout pauses....