Ideas for smoothies/healthy snack anyone?

Options
ivethmartz26
ivethmartz26 Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
Hello everyone :)

I just started this journey I'm very excited to finally see changes in my body. I have always worked out but I was never serious about eating healthy. I'm a very busy person work many hours sitting down, I have a lot of cravings while I'm working any advise on what would be a healthy snack to munch on while I'm at work? Also, I have no clue how to even start eating healthy smoothies sound so good but I'm afraid of mixing stuff and not liking it. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    This is a good site that should give you some good ideas.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/plant-strong-snacking-rip/

In the office I bring chopped up veggies and hummus, fruit (dried too), a small bowl of something grain based mixed with vegetables and/or beans, almonds, salad, potatoes. I am very cautious of any processed foods. That's what caused me to have to change my diet in the first place.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I keep a bowl of fruit on my desk. I try to pair fruit eating with peanut butter or cheese or some nuts to make eating it more filling.
    I don't think you can go wrong with smoothies. I'd recommend starting with ingredients you know you like and keeping it simple. If you like banana/strawberry, that's a good start. Then slowly move into different things, like blueberries or peaches. I like silken tofu as a base with chia seeds and they add to a thick and creamy texture without adding flavor to get in the way of the fruit.
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I know I'm way late to the overnight oats craze but I'm all about jars of overnight oats these days, with almond or coconut milk and whatever fruits nuts and seeds you want to add. So filling and with all the variations it's hard to get bored. I like celery and hummus or apples and almond butter, bean salads. Prep ahead and you can eat all week whenever.
  • Lauradaresyou
    Lauradaresyou Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are overnight oats??
  • karenrobertspt
    karenrobertspt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are so simple to make Lauradaresyou. 1/2 cup oats to 1 cup of milk (almond, coconut etc), mix and place in the fridge over night. To spice it up mash a banana into it with a tablespoon of nut butter, or how about adding some frozen fruit (will be thawed by the morning), loads of variations you can do, think fresh fruit, add some yoghurt - coconut is nice. When you serve you can top with chia seeds, nuts etc :) Hope this helps.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats
  • deejkush
    deejkush Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My breakfast smoothie (and sometimes dinner) is this: 1 scoop of Tera's Whey protein powder (no heavy metals in that brand), 1 tablespoon of raw cocoa (unsweetened), 1 tablespoon of flax seeds, (sometimes I add a pinch of green tea powder, and sometimes I add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast), 1/2 tablespoon of agave nectar, 1/2 cup organic soy milk, 1 cup water, 1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, usually), 1 cup spinach leaves. I make up 3 or 4 small containers of the dry ingredients, so I don't have to measure out all of that stuff each morning. It is thick and chocolatey and satisfying (and very healthy). Also, you can add a mint leaf or some vanilla extract or cardamom-- any herb or spice you like to add a different flair.
  • pescetarian_love
    pescetarian_love Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a chia seed smoothie in the morning.

The night before I take unsweet almond milk, chia seeds, coconut, organic honey and a little agave nectar, and a banana in a blender. shake and put in refrigerator over night.

Consistency will be thick-ish, depending on your milk to chia seed ratio :)
  • hlsopher
    hlsopher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this Indian Roasted Chickpeas recipe for an easy, healthy snack: http://allrecipes.com/personal-recipe/64584794/indian-roasted-chickpeas/. I would recommend using only 1 tsp of salt, though.
  • CeruleanCoffee
    CeruleanCoffee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How exciting to see progress! Go you!
    I'm a bit late to this conversation, but 100 Days of Real Food was a helpful resource when I started to eat more cleanly. This site especially helped with the ratio of ingredients for smoothie making: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/12/26/green-smoothie-recipe/

As far a other snacks, I try to eat whole or homemade food when I can: fruit, trail mix, plain yogurt, etc. I really like Lara bars for when I'm on the road or need a quick snack. When I'm craving something sweet, I make banana ice cream (frozen bananas, almond milk, maybe some peanut butter and unsweetened cocoa powder) in my food processor.

I hope this is helpful- good luck!
  • buddhandkitkat21
    buddhandkitkat21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm suggesting you make a smoothie preferably a smoothie containing strawberries, banana, spinach, kale, and if you want pineapple. I hoped this helped you
  • daflipremix
    daflipremix Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating edamame. Fills you up and has lots of protein!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I try and snack on healthy stuff. I bring it each day with my lunch, to work. Stuff I have eaten in the past or on a pretty regular basis are: apples, cherries (these are in season now) a Greek low fat yogurt, hummus with organic carrots or organic multi grain crackers, unsalted / low salt raw nuts, or a granola bar - preferably organic or one with known healthy ingredients.