Not getting enough calories

Options
missholls910
missholls910 Posts: 27 Member
I'm a keto newbie and was just wondering what some of you do in this situation. I'm on day two and for both today and yesterday, after I have everything logged, I have hit my net carbs (20 for me) but not enough calories. I feel full enough but I'm concerned that 900 calories just isn't healthy for me. I know a lot of people are ok with that in the short term but I prefer to stay around 1200.

What do some of you do when you are out of carbs but need to add calories?

Also, feel free to add me, I would love some friends and motivation from others following the same WOE.

Thanks all!

Replies

• Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: Dont force yourself to eat if you aren't hungry. If you just dropped your carb intake and are new to this woe, it is normal to feel full from higher fat foods and not feel hungry at the end of the day. You wont starve or screw anything up by eating 900cals one day. You will be hungry tomorrow, eat more then! If you would prefer to eat more calories today, choose foods that are zero carb like meat with fat or butter, cheese. Bacon. :p

This woe has helped me get in tune with my hunger cues. I used to eat out of boredom, or stress, or because I am "supposed to" all the time! Working on getting better at that though!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been LCHF for 10 weeks now. In the beginning, I was the same, under calories. It will not last lol. After about a month, I saw that my calories did go up to around 1200 but I also increased my fat intake which lets me go longer without eating. I also encourage you to make sure you are getting enough salt and to read the sticky pads, they are chockful of helpful information. You can add me too! Friends here have made a world of difference for me :) Welcome to LCHF!
  • missholls910
    missholls910 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I should also mention that yesterday before bed, I wanted a little snack but I was out of carbs and more meat just sounded off putting! I ended up going without an additional snack and felt ok. But man did I want something sweet!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea with heavy whipping cream! :)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Gaaaah!My first four weeks I was ravenous! I ate so much meat and fat I couldn't keep butter in the house! This past week I think I am becoming fat adapted, and I'm full around twelve or thirteen hundred calories. You could up your fat if you're seriously concerned....

I'll send you a request.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Lol I did that whole thing where when I first started, I ate so much meat and cheese I thought I would bust, and could not keep my calories down...then started regulating them to meet my deficit. Then I was under goal by a significant amount a couple times this week and tonight, I went overboard (still only ~30 g carbs, but way over on cals).

Upping fat is a good idea. Drinking broth is also a good idea (don't worry about fat and salt, get fatty and salty broth if you like that). Don't worry about eating if you're not hungry. I've had days where I'm good for hours and days where I want to eat a pound of cream cheese and salami to calm my hunger (like tonight), but instead, I just grabbed a little spoonful of the cream cheese, and a couple little slices of salami, and I'm good.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So you're only on day 2. The toughest part about going LCHF or Keto is starting off. From my experience, it takes a good week or two for you to get used to this new style of eating. This comes down to figuring out what is and isn't okay to eat and experimentation.

When I first started, I had the exact same issue because I really didn't know what types of food I should have been eating or what I could make with the things I had around the kitchen. The easiest ways to hit calories is through fat. I love cheese and sometimes sprinkle it on everything. So if you're a cheese lover, grab some shredded mozzarella or cheddar and sprinkle it on your meats, salads, eggs, whatever. Sometimes when I'm feeling hungry but a little lazy, I take a couple of slices off of a block of cheese and cut them up into bite-sized pieces to snack on.

Steak is another easy way to get more calories, protein, and fat. I had an 8 oz steak yesterday and it accounted for almost 700 calories from protein and fat, alone. That doesn't include the butter that I cooked it in.

I think a good place to start is to make a list of all of the food that you like and then from there you can start looking at recipes with those items that you think you can make.

For the next 2-3 weeks, I'd recommend keeping your meals relatively simple. Nothing is more discouraging than going too hard too quickly.

Hope this helps!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I ditto Commanda, above. I am fairly new as well to his woe and try to keep my meals simple, and also am a firm believer in sticking to those items you truly enjoy. Nothing is more discouraging than having to eat something because it seems "the right thing to do." Don't worry about calories at the moment, it will all work out in a few weeks.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think you will find that some days you will be more hungry and some days less. Don't worry about it now. If after a few weeks you are still always low, I would revisit it then.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @missholls910 how is it going?