Anyone on a high med dosage managing to lose weight?

Options
strawberrytoast
strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
Hi, its been a while since I've been on MFP

So I lost about 50lbs a few years ago by not eating much and exercising like crazy. I've put it all back on and then some :s

So, currently on 250mcg Levo per day. T4 seems to be ok but TSH is being crap. Doctors wont test T3 or anything else although previous tested for hashimotos which was positive.

Possibly thinking of buying NDT to try again (tried nature-throid). Is anyone actually losing weight, eating normally without cutting gluten/nightshades/soy etc

Replies

• sweetconcern
    sweetconcern Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Strawberry I have lots of trouble trying to lose weight. Thyroid doesn't work right for me either. I take 120 Mg Armour Thyroid a day 1/2 tab in morning and at 2. I have been doing the South beach diet have lost 6 # Thank you Lord, in a week. I have tried many diets this seems to be the only one I can lose on. Keep trying you will find something that will work for you.
  • mefatpat2
    mefatpat2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HMMM my dosage is much lower than your's 125mcg/day. But I found that one type of medication works better for me than another. Perhaps you can talk to your DR about this possibility. I had a lot of trouble losing weight while I was working. Now I have found that if I watch the sodium in my food I have almost no trouble losing weight. I have lost 10 lbs in two years. Not a fast pace, but it is good for me. I did not put it on overnight and if I don't lose it overnight I will not be unhappy. Problem is I am afraid my DR will change my meds next time I see him because I have now lost so much weight. I hate that period of adjusting to a new dosage.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I think its STTM which has something about 16% of hypo persons being unable to convert because of a genetic variant its worse for persons with two parent who have the same genetic problem. Then as you hint, there are people who are unable to get adequate amounts of t3 into their cells, there's no test for this and when your t3 and rt3 level information is denied you its more than frustrating. Some people live well on synthetic support but others really need the NDT. We are also in a loose loose situation when it comes to our metabolism, first eating at a deficit reduces it and second or primarily so does being hypo. There is no one easy answer to all things hypo possibly with antibodies (hashi) because there is a pool of 300 possible symptoms our systems take their pick off, too many variables. Discovering what triggers your antibodies and avoiding it/them, may be helpful but intolerance testing is expensive.

The UK food program two episodes broadcast at the end of June start of July 16, are saying the science is indicating our digestive tracts are loosing many of the microbes we need partly because of the modern diet and our dependence on antibiotics which wipe out beneficial microbes as well as those causing the health issue it is being prescribed for. Thinking is turning towards the lack of helpful microbes contributing to if not causing autoimmunity. I find this mind-blowing.

If you had NDT in the past and are able to have it again this could be your best way to go. I doubt you would be able to get away with a diet full of the more "usual" carbohydrate presence expected these days. Carbs from fruit and veg are usually fine its the foods which come along with added sugar to watch. I'm doing better avoiding my personal triggers as well as foods with added sugar.

When, if ever will the western style standard medical system see being more patient appropriate supportive of the internationally spread hypothyroid probably hashi, population will improve the hospital and care budgets. They would not accept the synthetics supplements they provide as a basic script, hypo allergenic is not available to me here in the UK were actually adding to my health issues.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. The doctor refuses to try any other meds so I've given in with them. I'm in the UK too.

After much research have decided to try thyroid-s. Will either help, do nothing or poison me. Lets hope its option number 1 :)

If anyone has anymore info please post away. If I have any luck I'll let you know.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the UK is in the Dark Ages when it comes to thyroid treatment.

Many of us need additional T3 because our bodies do not convert T4 into T3. I use NDT myself and have found it to be vastly superior to the T4-ony synthetics in terms of symptom control.

You could try selenomethianone, which is a form of selenium that helps with the conversion of T4 into T3.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Lost 5st being on 200mcg now on 175mcg of generic levo, I haven't cut any foods out but limit soy (as in I will eat soy sauce and if it happens to be in the shape of soy lechitin as part of the ingredients but not soy beans, soy milk, etc.) I also limit goitrogens but the advantage is I actually really hate the majority of them,lol! Love me some bread and bell peppers, chillies and tomatoes I've never been willing to try cutting out gluten or nightshades.

I have to be honest it has taken a long time to lose the weight and I have to work harder than others to lose but I've done it just the last 10 pesky pounds they are brutally hard! I'm determined to succeed though.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I am on 200mcg/175mcg Synthroid alternating daily and have been on this dose for close to 10 years. I was determined to get back into shape about 2 years ago after discovering this site and did so estimating my caloric intake and output. I've been in maintenance mode for about a year now. I did not cut our anything, just eat in moderation and changed my eating and workout habits.

Is there some way you can bypass the physicians and get a full thyroid panel test? Sounds like your doc is missing out on about 16 years of medical information.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm on 200mcg of Oroxine/Eutroxsig (weekdays) and 150mcg on weekends and managed to lose 20kg in about 2 years with 3 sessions of crossfit style workouts, 2 boxing sessions, 3 hour sessions of swimming and a pilates class. I also cleaned up my diet (less junk, more vegies). The only down side was that it got exhausting due to low iron levels. Apparently anemia is common with hypo.
    I've had a few setbacks though and am almost back to where I started - so frustrating. So, any help would be appreciated.