What do you wish you knew before you got pregnant?

Options
Notaphase
Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
We're planning to start trying to get pregnant this year. I'm finally getting into shape and it secretly scares me that all my work will be for nothing once I get pregnant (ok I know that good health is better for the baby but I'm talking superficially right now). I've really been getting into weightlifting instead of cardio and it's made a huge difference in my body and in my enthusiasm toward fitness. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to continue weightlifting once I'm pregnant. So, what are some workouts, nutritional advice and general advice you wish you had known before you got pregnant? I'd especially love to hear from any weight lifters.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First of all, all your hard work will not be for nothing! I am proof of that. Before I got pregnant with #2 I was in great shape and lifting regularly. I continued to lift during my pregnancy, very modified of course...I lowered my weights, increased my reps, did more bodyweight work, listened to my body, etc. Also did lots of walking, yoga.. and all this I think really helped with my birth and recovery.

Nutritional wise, first trimester I had bad morning sickness so whatever I could eat that would stay down was my first concern, but then I just enjoyed everything in moderation, I personally did not track my intake and it worked for me. My best advice would be... do not focus too much on the scale... you will gain, obviously, and some weeks you will jump up, water weight, baby will have a growth spurt. I gained about 35 lbs. Around 4.5 months postpartum I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight but I am still working on my body.. it will take time to get back especially if your baby doesn't sleep! But it is all worth it, believe me.
    Good luck!
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known about prenatal massages and how much help a good chiropractor could be. Also your joints may get loose. I dislocated fingers and a shoulder doing normal activities. (Opening a jar of pickles ffs). Some hip pain is normal, every step being agony is not. Other than being very tired I had an easy pregnancy. Look up easy freezer meals and crockpot meals, the first couple of weeks are rough.
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known about prenatal massages and how much help a good chiropractor could be.

I used to work for a chiropractor so I definitely agree with you there :) Thanks for all the tips!
  • fat2fitbunana
    fat2fitbunana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a personal trainer. I didn't know how to work out while pregnant and I was always so exhausted. Now that I have her, I love pushing hard. Almost back to Pre baby weight after 3 months! And this with weight training...I HATE cardio, but that is my warm up....or I'll do a lot randomly to confuse my muscles.
  • Shaelynmae
    Shaelynmae Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Your body may change a lot! My feet grew wider and longer, my hair is more curly, my hips are wider set. I don't know if that's the same for anyone else but I know I didn't expect it hahah. GOOD LUCK!
  • cheribabeb
    cheribabeb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Shaelynmae wrote: »
    Your body may change a lot! My feet grew wider and longer, my hair is more curly, my hips are wider set. I don't know if that's the same for anyone else but I know I didn't expect it hahah. GOOD LUCK!

This is so true! I thought my feet were just swollen... nope! had to buy all new shoes lol

and my hair is more curly too!