Cardio Exercises for Bad Knees

Options
krissymae88
krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
So I recently got a gym membership and I thought I was going slow enough. I have never been a runner of any sort and I have now lost enough weight that I could start adding in some jogging to my normal treadmill routine. I would just do some jogging for a minute or two at a time, a couple times during my workout. I think I probably had bad technique because a few days ago my left knee went out completely. This knee has had some pain and popping issues already.
At this point it is already much better and I can put weight on it again, but I am being careful because I don't want to re-injure it. I'm resting and icing it throughout the day.
My question is what kind of cardio exercises do others who have bad knees or past knee injuries use in their regular workout routines? I'm going to take it really slow and I won't jump back into it too soon, but I'm just looking for some ideas to keep my workouts interesting and fun in the future...since it seems running is not going to be a good option for me.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my knees when I started running. I know it was likely from carrying so much excess weight for so long. If you had never been a runner before, that could be even harder on your knees. With any new exercise, start off with lower resistance and gradually increase the intensity. No need to go in full force at the start. When I am at the gym, I use the elliptical and my knees are fine. After surgery we really need to be gentle with our bodies and take the time to really see what we can do. We have to find the balance of pushing ourselves without putting ourselves at risk of injury. If your new gym membership offers personal training, it might not be a bad idea to take them up on it and have a trainer show you proper technique.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends that have had knee replacement surgery. Their doctors have recommended the bike and aquatics.

Good luck!
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve in October 2015 and have lost 120lbs without stepping one foot into a gym - my knees hurt just thinking about it!! My cardio has been increasing my steps and swimming laps ( about 2kms a week). In the beginning before I could even finish a lap, I would swim a lap and walk a lap - the resistance from the water definitely helped with weight loss without too much pressure on my knees.
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you work on various leg weights you will build the muscle around the knee and there will be less pain. I would have a PT show you proper technique.

I think walking is a great workout. Pick a comfortable pace and every 3 minutes speed walk for 1 minute. You can also play with the incline for a great workout.'
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The elliptical machines seems to put less pressure on my knees but instead of running could you walk at an incline? Some treadmills can be changed so you are walking up an incline, believe me it gets your heart rate up without that jarring impact that running does to your joints.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to run again, not sure knees can take it. I can get my heart rate up to a vigorous level using a treadmill, increasing pace and elevation. More satisfactory for me than elliptical or stationary bike. Weight training and core work is helping.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    My mother has bad knees, needing a replacement. Her surgeon told her she could ABSOLUTELY NOT use a treadmill. She said that when walking on treadmills people walk harder than they do on the ground from the machine propelling you. Treadmills are bad, natural walking is good.